RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Computer Aided Monitoring and Programming > Streaming / Broadcasting / Audio Recording

Streaming / Broadcasting / Audio Recording - Interested in putting your scanner online for others to hear? Want to listen to other radios on the internet. This forum is here for you to discuss these topics related to streaming scanners online.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-16-2018, 2:15 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Question Stereo Input on Combined Plug

Hello

I'm in the process of upgrading the equipment providing my feed. Have two 996P2s and a new laptop. I'm planning to provide a stereo feed (2 scanners) and ran into a snag.

I thought the laptop had a separate plug for the microphone. It does not. It has one plug that's supposed to provide both headphone and microphone, and no way of telling if stereo microphone input is possible. Laptop is an HP 15-ba015wm

Thoughts on whether I should consider a USB microphone input for this? Does one even exist?

Thanks in Advance

Frank N4ZHG
Sponsored links
Old 06-16-2018, 2:38 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4zhg View Post
I'm in the process of upgrading the equipment providing my feed. Have two 996P2s and a new laptop. I'm planning to provide a stereo feed (2 scanners) and ran into a snag.

I thought the laptop had a separate plug for the microphone. It does not. It has one plug that's supposed to provide both headphone and microphone, and no way of telling if stereo microphone input is possible. Laptop is an HP 15-ba015wm

Thoughts on whether I should consider a USB microphone input for this? Does one even exist?
I am not familiar with that specific laptop, but I would be surprised if the jack supported a stereo microphone. Does the laptop have a line-level input jack? If so, it would most likely support stereo.

A stereo USB audio interface is certainly an option. I use one, although I don't use it for a stereo feed (I use it for two separate feeds). Here's what I use:

https://www.amazon.com/BEHRINGER-U-C.../dp/B000KW2YEI

It is USB-powered and is crystal-clear. A fabulous interface! It can be used for a stereo feed if your feed software supports stereo.

You may also be able to use two monaural USB interfaces for a stereo feed, but I've never tried it and have no idea if it would work.
Old 06-16-2018, 3:17 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

That particular one isn't going to work for me because the plugs are 3.5mm coming from the scanners.
Old 06-16-2018, 3:21 PM

Why not?
https://www.google.ca/search?q=3.5+to+rca

Pro tip, if you want one scanner on left and once on right, use two of these but only plug left or right of each cable into audio card
Quote:
Originally Posted by n4zhg View Post
That particular one isn't going to work for me because the plugs are 3.5mm coming from the scanners.
Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 06-16-2018, 3:23 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

You'd need to get a couple of adapters for your 3.5mm plugs -

https://www.radioshack.com/products/...phone-plug-ada
Sponsored links