Thump sound on my feed. Any suggestions why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ron351

Feed Provider
On my feed when a zone car or dispatcher begins to talk or ends talk there is a thump like the mic in being banged down. I can't figure out why. I have audio out to the mic in I believe on the computer from the scanner.
It can be heard here on my feed.
https://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/25008/web

Open to suggestions and solutions.
Ron

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
The audio is overpowered. Try turning the volume down, either on the scanner or the software. If that doesn't work turn the squelch up a notch.

What hardware / software are you using? I know Unication charger/amps will do this.

Try using 'Line In' instead of 'Mic In'.

Last edited:

ron351

Feed Provider
The audio is overpowered. Try turning the volume down, either on the scanner or the software. If that doesn't work turn the squelch up a notch.

I have tried both turning the squelch low to mid way to high nothing changed. I also tried the volume. I will try both again. There was no volume on the software though

ron351

Feed Provider
Try using 'Line In' instead of 'Mic In'.

Ok will try that, I was not sure if line in would work. I went by directions setting up a year ago and just left it. I will try that and get back later.

ron351

Feed Provider
Switched from mic in to line in, might be a little better, I may read up on setup again and the manual that came with the scanner to see if there are other outputs that can be used. Thanks for the suggestions

ron351

Feed Provider
I use the 'Record Out' jack on my BCD996XT, the sound level is at a constant.

I will try that also. I know one goes to a USB port from the front of the scanner to computer. I think that is only for programming the scanner

mancow

Database Admin
It's DC spike from the audio amp turning on and off to conserve power. Get a DC isolating transformer and it will likely go away.

"Thump"

It's DC spike from the audio amp turning on and off to conserve power. Get a DC isolating transformer and it will likely go away.

+1 on the isolating transformer.

I have a 996XT and had the same "thump" until I installed a transformer in-line.

No more "thump"!

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
I will try that also. I know one goes to a USB port from the front of the scanner to computer. I think that is only for programming the scanner
The front port does not carry any audio, just data, such as alpha tags.

I have provided feeds since 2011, using a BCT15, BCT15X, and a BCD996XT, all through the Record Out jack to Line In, on several different PCs. I have never experienced any thumping.

ron351

Feed Provider
+1 on the isolating transformer.

I have a 996XT and had the same "thump" until I installed a transformer in-line.

No more "thump"!

If you have a link to one of these transformer things can you post it. My scanner puts out good, it is only heard between the computer to the output to the phone app is where it is heard in the feed.
In the meantime I will look in settings and see if there is anything in power saving options

ron351

Feed Provider
The front port does not carry any audio, just data, such as alpha tags.

I have provided feeds since 2011, using a BCT15, BCT15X, and a BCD996XT, all through the Record Out jack to Line In, on several different PCs. I have never experienced any thumping.

Thanks, so leaving them plugged in from the front I take won't affect it then? I know the 1 sends the tags and the other I think was plugged in when I programmed it.

ron351

Feed Provider
That cleared up the thump sound using that item shown above in the post. I thank all of you very much. Sounds perfect, I appreciate your help so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.