Raspberry Pi 3B WIFI problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

JACK26

Hi All,
Does anyone else have problems with feeding streams to Broadcastify with the RPi 3B?
Recently I'm having a problem with loosing internet connection to the RPi feeder. When it happens the RPi feeder still has access to the local network and I can access it headlessly with VNC and SSH. wlan0 down followed by a delay and then wlan0 up reconnects the RPi 3B to the internet. If I use a hardwired eth0 connection it doesn't have that problem.
Any ideas? TIA :)

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Hi All,
Does anyone else have problems with feeding streams to Broadcastify with the RPi 3B?
Recently I'm having a problem with loosing internet connection to the RPi feeder. When it happens the RPi feeder still has access to the local network and I can access it headlessly with VNC and SSH. wlan0 down followed by a delay and then wlan0 up reconnects the RPi 3B to the internet. If I use a hardwired eth0 connection it doesn't have that problem.
Any ideas? TIA :)
No other WiFi device connection problems? Made any changed to the device driver?

Sent using Tapatalk

JACK26

No other problems with other wifi devices. I think its a fluke with the RPi 3B's internal wifi radio. Just ordered one of these which I am using on a 2B feeder with no problems. Been working on this problem for a while and RPi 3B has hundreds of pages of wifi problems posted on forums but no solutions that worked for me so far. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003MTTJOY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ps tried 2 different 3B's and both have the exact same wifi problem. Ethernet hard wire works fine,

KB8KOJ

Premium Subscriber
Is your router/access point doing both WPA2-TKIP and WPA2-AES encryption? If so, try limiting to AES only. I've seen plenty of WiFi devices have problems with certain access points when TKIP and AES is allowed. Just a thought..

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Also check your DHCP lease on your router. My employer's network likes to fail to renew the lease on me when I use wireless sometimes.

JACK26

Is your router/access point doing both WPA2-TKIP and WPA2-AES encryption? If so, try limiting to AES only. I've seen plenty of WiFi devices have problems with certain access points when TKIP and AES is allowed. Just a thought..

Looked into changing security protocol and the 3 IP security cams couldn't connect although other devices where able to connect. I have a Linksys EA7500 wifi router that uses the latest Comcast xFi router modem for internet access. The settings on the Linksys are "WPA PRIVATE" or "WPA MIXED". When I changed it to "WPA PRIVATE" the IP cams all lost connection,
I bought the Linksys router because I thought my earlier version comcast wifi router was causing the problem. But have the same problem with both Linksys and new Comcast wifi routers. The Comcast wifi is completely disabled and using only the Linksys for wifi per the suggestion of the Comcast help desk but still have the problem.

Thanks to all for the replies so far.

radiostationx

Hi JACK26,
The Pi3 onboard wifi adaptor isnt great.The on board wifi antenna is very poor IMHO.
In my application (adsb) I found difficulty maintaining a connection between the pi3 (in the loft) to my router (downstairs).
I reverted back to what I used for pi2 which is a usb dongle wifi adaptor, the most reliable in my experience are those with Ralink 5370 chipset. No fuss, plug and play with the pi2/pi3 and I get a very strong signal.

The 5370 is rated at 150mbps maximium but I get very solid 80 ish mbps speeds even though the router and pi are quite far apart.

These ralink chips come in a variety of models.

Im not endorsing any particular vendor but here is an example

https://www.gearbest.com/network-cards/pp_1236451.html

Yes this one adds a bit of bulk but there are nano versions out there too.

One thing, If you decide to use one.
Disable off the onboard wifi permanently, there is plently of links for help to do this on google.

As a tip, maintain the connection and prevent the wifi connection going to sleep by creating a cron job so the pi3 sends a ping your router every minute,every hr, every day.

ssh into the pi3 using the PuTTY program

open the cron editor

Code:
crontab -e

If your router has address 192.168.0.1 ,
You need to add the following line (edit to suit your router ip address)

Code:
* * * * * /ping *c2 192.168.0.1 > /dev/null

Then save and exit cron.

This should give you a trouble free wifi connetcion.

Hope this helps.

JACK26

Update: The USB Edimax EW-7811Un 150Mbs nano has the same problem. Loses internet connection within 5 minutes and has to be reset to get the internet back even though the local intranet connection is fine. Using a cat 5 cable with ethernet direct connect has no problem. I even disabled the onboard wifi and didn't help, Edited the /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf file to make sure only the one router was available.
Any other suggestions are welcome but so far a mystery,

Status
Not open for further replies.