New to Scanning = Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

slinger2424

I am SUPER new to scanning. I grew up in a firefighter household (father still active) and have always loved to be involved as possible.

I would like to get a scanner for personal/business use.

I know about the digital and trunking bits.

I am interested, at some point when I am comfortable, with setting up my scanner online for others to listen to my local departments. So I want to get a scanner that will serve the purpose. Suggestions?

Also when I am ready, will the one scanner and computer be able to broadcast local EMS and Law Enforcement at the same time? or will I need a seperate scanner or computer at that point?

I am super new and have not owned a scanner ever. I just wanted to get some info up front so I can cut out some of the mistakes others have made.

Thanks so much for your time!
~ Slinger

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
This actually encompasses a couple of questions - so start at the beginning. Where are you (city/county/state will do fine). Getting a scanner is greatly dependent on the kind of system you are trying to monitor - the digital scanners cost a great deal more than their analog counterparts, so it's important to get the right scanner for the right application

Insofar as needing a different scanner for EMS and Law Enforcement - nope - one scanner can do both. How that is set up has to do with whether your system utilizes a function known as Trunking or not. Our Wiki section has a good article with links on the subject, if you find you need it. I would think most folks who want to be online and have their stream going use a 2nd computer so the 2 don't conflict. 73s Mike

slinger2424

Thanks Mike!

I am in Sacramento, CA

Trunking is a MUST. NOt so sure about Digital, but I assume so.

The cost is not a big deal. When I do something, I do it 100%. No sense in half-*ssing it.

Thanks for the info so far. I am also wonding alot about the logistics of getting it set up to stream online, and hosting. thanks :)

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Since I've never set up a feed, I'll leave that to someone else to answer; however, our Wiki has the following link that would appear, at least at first blush, to be a place to start...

(Anything in blue is a link)

http://www33.websamba.com/cnmsales/oddcast tutorial.html

However, as to Sacramento - our database has the following entry;

http://www.radioreference.com/modules.php?name=RR&sid=4499

See where it says 'system voice' - it mentions both APCO25 and Analog - therefore this system is running what is sometimes referred to as 'Mixed Mode'. This means that both analog and digital talkgroups are found on this system. It looks like the Fire/EMS stuff is all analog (Mode A). There are some Police/Maint units that are digital (Mode D)

If all you're interested in is fire/ems, then one of the analog only scanners (or older trunktracker such as the BC796 from Uniden) will serve you well. This scanner will be supported when the rebanding issues hit the West Coast, and will do both analog and digital trunking. Of course, there's also the new BCD996, as well as the RS/GRE PRO-96 and 2096, the only 2 GRE Digital scanners.

Your best bet is to talk with other California scannists on that forum - in addition I'm sure there are 1 or 2 at least Sacramento related Yahoo email scanning reflectors. Your best bet is education - learn what others are using.

Our Wiki has extensive pages with reviews and much more on most of the trunktrackers out there. Be sure to use that in your research.

73s and GL...Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.