lag time

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigsiouxriver

I have setup a stream with shoutcast and It seems that I have a 1min and 30 sec lag time when I transmit on my radio it takes along time to here it, I was wondering if this is normal or is there something I can adjust I am running off of a satalite isp so there is always a short lag time but I don't feel it should be that long.
Thanks, for any help.

mlinthicum

Usually ShoutCast, WinAmp, and a few others, will always have a delay. If you use programs like TeamSpeak, ProScan or EasyStream, you will eliminate the delay.

motomeso

Premium Subscriber
It is the Server and not the Encoder that usually causes the delay. Switch to Icecast and you will have 10 seconds of audio delay. If you are looking for real time audio I would suggest you use Skype set to auto answer.

bigsiouxriver

Thanks,

I am streaming a south dakota stream just got it figured out last night my internet connection is threw a satellite isp called dirctway and I usually have 1 to 2 sec lag time when I am just browsing the web so I figure it is some of the lag. I am looking at Icecast but I just figured ShoutCast out and I think I will mess with this for awhile before trying something else.
I do not have the server running at this time as I am going to get a static Ip before I do to much more. I just want to say this site is very helpful I studied along time before tying this and found allot of good information here. When I get the server up and running I will post the link here and more than likely have more questions. Is the setup for Icecast and Simple cast alot like ShoutCast.
Thanks, again.

kicktd

Just to let you know if you don't watch it you'll end up getting FAPed with HughesNet (formally DirecWay) if you have their 2 way Satellite internet service and stream a whole lot of data while people are connected. I use it too otherwise if I had DSL or Cable I'd stream my scanner.

bigsiouxriver

fab

I was monitoring the fab lastnight my dad and brother were both monitoring my site and I left the wx running my fab is set at 500mb and it never went over 50mb for the hour I worked with it. That was a concern, It will be interesting to see what 12 hours will do. I use gatekeeper to keep track of the fab.

kicktd

I use gatekeeper also. Yeah just gotta make sure that if a whole bunch of people start getting on that it doesn't drain it :eek:

lbpd719

with shoutcast, the higher your bit rate, the less delay you will experience.

In some circumstances the delay can be appreciated but it does make setting your volume a bit of a chore..

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin
I use Icecast + Simplecast and Icecast + Oddcast with minimal delays. Simplecast does work a bit faster IMO.
What is 'gatekeeper?' is it like a throttle for outgoing traffic??

kicktd

Liquid_Squelch said:
What is 'gatekeeper?' is it like a throttle for outgoing traffic??

Gatekeeper is a tool to monitor bandwidth usage for HughesNet Satellite ISP users. With HughesNet you get so much bandwidth in a "bucket" which starts at 165MB and the more you pay the more you get. Up to 400MB for residental services.

That will refill at around 50 kbps and both uploading and downloading goes towards this usage and once you use all of the "bucket" you get FAPed (Fair Access Policy) and have to wait for it to refill some or experince dial-up speeds till you let your "bucket" refill again.

They do this cause Satellite internet is a shared system so tons of downloading affects everyone else on that transponder/satellite.

bigsiouxriver

Okay, I worked all the bugs out of my stream but this is my problem.
First I get the stream going still using WX then I go into a different room and login on my laptop and I can hear that is about a 1min or so lag time, So I back to the server and disconnected the server to let my laptop catch up, after it catches up I start the stream again and there is only about 2 to 3 sec lag time.

Is there a buffer setting I am missing

http://www.hartmanfarms.com/scanning.html

this is the feed but I will not have it up until later tonight.

lbpd719 said to raise the bit rate? Where do I do that at I have looked and never have seen anything with the bit rate

Status
Not open for further replies.