A Question for the Live Feed Hosters

Status
Not open for further replies.

matthewtomek

Live Audio Admin
Feed Provider
What kind of internet connection are you running and does hosting the feed with multiple connections slow your computer down to a noticable difference??

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
I'm on a basic 1.5M service at work, there's no computer slowdown (using RealProducer.)

kc8qch

I've never run in to any problems at all. I have 3 feeds, plus I host a 100 slot Teamspeak server plus all the other stuff I do online (gaming, internet surfing, e-mail). I've never had a noticable slow down at all.

mlinthicum

Jeff, sometime I want to talk with you about setting up our own TS Server. I don't mind paying for the service now, but we have plans of setting up more feed in 2007, and I'd like to have more control over the system.

mikea7531

Feed Provider
I'm using Butel's EazyStream software, and can have anywhere from 1 to 8 users listening to the feed at any given time - and it's capable to go up to 19 users. I'm using Verizon's FiOS broadband internet service with 20 Meg down / 5 Meg up - and I haven't noticed any slowdowns when i've had multiple people connected to my feed.

tspainiv

Shelby Co DB Admin
Database Admin
My internet would come to a screeching hault when loaded down with about 20 connection. This is using a 6Mbps DSL connection. I've not switched to using a streaming media host, and now I don't have problem at all with slowdown :eek:)

matthewtomek

Live Audio Admin
Feed Provider
tspainiv said:
My internet would come to a screeching hault when loaded down with about 20 connection. This is using a 6Mbps DSL connection. I've not switched to using a streaming media host, and now I don't have problem at all with slowdown :eek:)
Yeah, my connection is noticably slow when I bunch of folks are connected. Not sure what may be causing it.

tspainiv

Shelby Co DB Admin
Database Admin
matthewtomek said:
Yeah, my connection is noticably slow when I bunch of folks are connected. Not sure what may be causing it.

It's due to the limited amount of upload bandwidth you have. Take the size of your stream and multiply it by the number of listeners. Then add about 150kb to it for surfing, email, and whatnot. The total shouldn't go over the amount your ISP has for your upload speed.

Mine is 512kb upload. So at 16kbps times 20 listeners, is 320. Add the 150 to that and its at 470. Pretty close to the max upload speed.

kc8qch

mlinthicum said:
Jeff, sometime I want to talk with you about setting up our own TS Server. I don't mind paying for the service now, but we have plans of setting up more feed in 2007, and I'd like to have more control over the system.

Mike, Sounds good. E-mail me and we can work out the details off the board here. kc8qch@arrl.net. I would be more then happy to host your server.

Jeff

firescannerbob

Feed Provider
My feed is hosted by Shoutcast via a dedicated computer on Adelphia/Comcast cable service. It can feed up to 7 listeners at a time, and I have never seen anything slow down.

trooperdude

Database Admin
matthewtomek said:
What kind of internet connection are you running and does hosting the feed with multiple connections slow your computer down to a noticable difference??

I prefer to reflect instead of feeding users myself for several reasons.

The first one is computer security. I don't have to open the firewall ports
to the entire world. Big bonus in my book to keep them closed.

The second...By reflecting, I can also feed MANY more users in a major event (
like a big earthquake) than would be possible on dsl or cable.

One 24kbps feed can feed 30+ users, which means I can even provide a feed
off of dial-up or satellite if necessary.

Fortunately Publicsafetyfeeds.com does this for free with the IceCast feeds, and scannerbuff.net does it for free with Teamspeak.

FREE is a BIG bonus for an already expensive hobby.

lbpd719

I am fortunate in the fact that mine doesn't see much use, although I never have seen any slowdown as of yet (Seen a max of 5 users).

Some of the "Free" reflectors also don't want you to advertise or make your stream avaliable from anywhere else. I would love to just push my shoutcast stream up wind, but I want to be able to own parts of it too..

I had a free relay out of the UK a while ago, but it turned out to be too unreliable for me to use on a day in day out basis.

Now if someone were willing to give us some space without strings attatched for the betterment of the hobby ;)

back in the day when I had access to an unmetered T1 I would have done that, but those days are long gone...

matthewtomek

Live Audio Admin
Feed Provider
trooperdude said:
Fortunately Publicsafetyfeeds.com does this for free with the IceCast feeds, and scannerbuff.net does it for free with Teamspeak.

FREE is a BIG bonus for an already expensive hobby.
I do think that it's great that someone provides server space for free, but I want to be able to have full control over any links. As I understand it, this site provides server space, but you can only access the feed from their site and their site only. I just don't agree with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.