IP address Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

fireguy810

Hello, I have a feed setup and it goes through my Linksys WRT54G router. I have the port forwarded and it works fine. I also downloaded the program that updates the IP address. Everything works fine untill the power goes out. Then when it comes back on the router changes around the local IP addresses of the computers on the network. I have 3 computers on the network. When I access the linksys setup to forward a port I have to enter an IP address of the computer broadcasting. When the router re-assigns IP addresses after a power outage a different computer gets the IP address of the broadcasting computer so then it shows an IP conflict. I have to go in and look at the ip addresses of each computer, then go into Linksys setup and change the addresses that the ports are forwarded from. A real pain. Anyway to prevent this from happening?

For example:
Broadcasting computer: 192.168.1.101
Computer B: 192.168.102
Computer C: 192.168.100

I have port 1080 forwarded from 192.168.101.

Power goes router reassigns IP addresses:
Broadcasting Computer: 192.168.102
Computer B: 192.168.100
Computer C: 192.168.101

Now the router is forwarding Computer C which isnt broadcasting anything.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Bob

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Configure your computers on your internal network with a static I/P address, instead of dynamic. Buy a UPS (Uninterpretable Power Supply).

n211cr

I do not think it will be a problem but its also best to configure the static to be outside of the DHCP range that the router is set to. Here it looks like it starts from 100. So set your address to something like 192.168.1.10. Or anything in the 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.99 range. Then change your port forwarding to go to the 192.168.1.10 address. Be sure to note your DNS servers when you are dynamic, so you know what to set them to when you are static.

Lexxx

GreatLakes said:
Configure your computers on your internal network with a static I/P address, instead of dynamic. Buy a UPS (Uninterpretable Power Supply).

I'm no expert, but I think whether you have a dynamic or static IP adress is a function of the internet provider you have. The cable company I use for high speed has dynamic IP addresses. Nothing I can do about that.

You can get services (often free) that will maintain a dynamic IP and simulate a static IP. I used the DirectUpdate Dynamic IP Client from www.DirectUpdate.net for a while.

Maintaining static IP Lan addresses if a function of the router you use. Some will let you assign a Lan address to a specific computer(s), other routers will not. Some will remember these assignments after a power failure, others will not.

As mentioned, a UPS saves a lot of headaches. I have my internet feed modem, router, scanners, and the dedicated streaming computer on the UPS.

Works for me anyway.

Lexx
www.ykf.ca

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Lexxx said:
I'm no expert, but I think whether you have a dynamic or static IP adress is a function of the internet provider you have. The cable company I use for high speed has dynamic IP addresses. Nothing I can do about that.

You can get services (often free) that will maintain a dynamic IP and simulate a static IP. I used the DirectUpdate Dynamic IP Client from www.DirectUpdate.net for a while.

Maintaining static IP Lan addresses if a function of the router you use. Some will let you assign a Lan address to a specific computer(s), other routers will not. Some will remember these assignments after a power failure, others will not.

As mentioned, a UPS saves a lot of headaches. I have my internet feed modem, router, scanners, and the dedicated streaming computer on the UPS.

Works for me anyway.

Lexx
www.ykf.ca

The way I understood the original post is that the problem is not with the I/P from his ISP. He mentions he has a program that maintains that.

When he has a power failure, and the power it restored, his router's DHCP service is reassigning local network I/P's in the 192.168.1.* range, and his server is getting a different I/P than it had previously. When that happens, the forwarded port in the router is then assigned to the wrong computer.

What I suggested it to assign local I/P's to each computer on his network as static, 192.168.1.100, 192.168.1.110, 192.168.1.120, etc., rather than using the router's DHCP service.

Lexxx

Hmm. That's interesting. I'd always thought that 'static' / 'dynamic' choice I make when setting up the router was to tell the router if my ISP used static or dynamic IPs.

I'll have to play with that a bit to see what happens.

Thanks

K8PBX

I agree with the suggestion of setting up the server PC on the network with a fixed IP.
You could still leave the router in DHCP mode, but just assign an IP address to the server PC that is below the numerical range of the IP's that the router will dish out using DHCP.

For instance, if the router is assigning DHCP IP's beginning with 192.168.1.100, then just setup the server PC with a fixed IP below that range, such as 192.168.1.99

I did it that way when I had a Linksys router. Worked just fine. Nowadays I use a Netgear router that allows for reserving IP's based on the device MAC address, so no longer an issue.

Last edited:

squadman

Feed Provider
I did the same thing with my server computer, I assigned it a static IP and it's been working fine since.

Status
Not open for further replies.