Warning - Telephone adapters - VOIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tweekerbob

VERY long story short, it seems that at least with my ATT CallVantage telephone adapter that there is a built in firewall. Unconfigurable and darn near, if not all, ports blocked. I didn't start off bald, but now I almost am, after messing with this thing the majority of the day.

Best advice, plug the TA into an open LAN port on your router (behind the router). It took me all day to figure this out because at the same time I was switching over from cable to DSL, so lots of variables involved.

I don't know if other VOIP services' TAs do this as well; just that I'd post this to save someone from losing their hair!

I can't confirm for sure that there is a built in firewall, but through LOTS of testing, this has to be the case. The internet could not see any one of my computers on any port, even though I turned off my router's firewall! The manual suggests that you run a cable from the modem to the TA and then to the router. Using that configuration led to a explosive level of swearing, and ultimately may have led to the demise of good equipment. Spare yourself some grief and plug the TA in behind the router instead of in front of it.

miserytom

you should be able to config your voip, i have voip from vonage, its plugged into my router, all i have to do is type in the IP of the voip as if i was typing in a website addy, and im in, can change anything i want, i can config the router as well using the same process, maybe try that?

Tweekerbob

Excellent suggestion. However, with it plugged into the router, it of course has an IP address; just can't connect to the darn thing. Couldn't find any online docs for that specific model as I'm sure it is specific to my particular service.

All is working well though now. Again, thanks for the idea! It's just that the instructions for the TA recommended plugging the router into the TA, not vice versa as I have it now. In that configuration (router plugged into TA), there seems to be blocking of almost all if not all ports.

Being that I am running a streaming server behind the router (and the TA, well sorta), I felt that the info might be useful to at least CallVantage users if not others, either now or in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.