Is it possible to display Alpha Tags with a.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tweekerbob

Yes, you can.

You can do this in a variety of ways.

First off, just for ease of use, I would try products like Proscan www.proscan.org or EasyStream www.butelsoftware.com. None of those products specifically say that they work with the 895, but the communication protocol between the scanner and computer are identical (in terms of producing text tags) among the scanners supported and your's.

I would suggest downloading both of these products. Both provide a workable demo to see if you can successfully control or stream the 895. My bet is one or both will work. On the Proscan, I would choose the 780, probably the closest match to the 895 in the line-up. Additionally, both of these do cost around $50, but they also integrate a "built-in" audio server solution, negating the need for Shoutcast. They are an "all-in-one" solution for streaming channel info, etc.

If those don't work, or you're not willing to part with $50, then there are other solutions.
You can try using Oddcast www.oddsock.org as your MP3 encoder, feeding an Icecast server www.icecast.org. Icecast is very similar to Shoutcast both in operation and in config. Then you will need two pieces of freeware to "talk" with the scanner and feed text tag data to your server, Icecast. This will stream text tag data (MP3 metadata) to Winamp and iTunes, and also works with Quintessential Media Player. Although I don't like using media players I can't pronounce (nor spell) when drunk.

http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71443 is a short thread with the freeware and a bit more info.

No matter which way you decide to go, be prepared for the very sad day you have to say goodbye to your old friend Shoutcast. Shout is just not well suited for streaming text tags for scanners.

HTH,

Ryan

Last edited:

Tweekerbob

Please let us know if either Proscan or EasyStream work for you as I'm sure others are wanting to know as well.

If you need help with the "free" or last option, let me know.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Ryan

NYRHKY94

Another option to consider is the currently free option at www.streamwebtown.com for streaming with sound & alpha tags. I'm using it to stream my BC796D and find it to be a nice option that doesn't involve alot of extra software configuration. The only requirement is the free Windows Media Encoder located at the site.

The best part is the end user simply clicks on a link and their Windows Media Player comes up and automatically they see & hear my scan.

P.S. I'm currently using the "screen capture" configuration within Windows Media Encoder for my particular stream. It has been working quite well so far.

ai4uk

Feed Provider
Hello,
Well I got it to work with your folks help.
I did have to go into serproxy.cfg and change the "timeout" value to 10000.
Serproxy kept timing out if nothing was coming from the scanner for six minutes.
Also had to change the baud rate to 9600 in serproxy.cfg.

I'm using Icecast for my server, simplecast for the encoder.
Also using serproxy and talkgroup.

http://www.ai4uk.com/livefeed.html

Thanks to cape cod tutorial
http://scancapecod.us/xoops/modules/tinycontent/index.php?id=16

Thanks for eveybody's help and input.

kc8qch

One other way I have tried in the past that isn't too bad but is not perfect is to use windows media encoder and a webcam. the problem is you have to stream the audio with the webcam feed because there is such a delay from the encoder. Like I said it's not bad, but it's far from perfect...

N7AS

How do you do it...

NYRHKY94 said:
Another option to consider is the currently free option at www.streamwebtown.com for streaming with sound & alpha tags. I'm using it to stream my BC796D and find it to be a nice option that doesn't involve alot of extra software configuration. The only requirement is the free Windows Media Encoder located at the site.

The best part is the end user simply clicks on a link and their Windows Media Player comes up and automatically they see & hear my scan.

P.S. I'm currently using the "screen capture" configuration within Windows Media Encoder for my particular stream. It has been working quite well so far.

I have a Uniden BCT15 and would like to knw how to stream audio and alpha tags using the free option at streamwebtown.com. What do I need on my end to do this?

webstar22

RenfrewCountyScanner.com
Feed Provider
Tags won't work in Windows media we've tried for years to get this to work. the only way I i've been able to get it to work is use simplecast and run two feeds, one for winamp and everyone else and one windows media feed. Then the tags work.

n0thj

Tweekerbob said:
Yes, you can.

You can do this in a variety of ways.

First off, just for ease of use, I would try products like Proscan www.proscan.org or EasyStream www.butelsoftware.com. None of those products specifically say that they work with the 895, but the communication protocol between the scanner and computer are identical (in terms of producing text tags) among the scanners supported and your's.

I would suggest downloading both of these products. Both provide a workable demo to see if you can successfully control or stream the 895. My bet is one or both will work. On the Proscan, I would choose the 780, probably the closest match to the 895 in the line-up. Additionally, both of these do cost around $50, but they also integrate a "built-in" audio server solution, negating the need for Shoutcast. They are an "all-in-one" solution for streaming channel info, etc.

If those don't work, or you're not willing to part with $50, then there are other solutions.
You can try using Oddcast www.oddsock.org as your MP3 encoder, feeding an Icecast server www.icecast.org. Icecast is very similar to Shoutcast both in operation and in config. Then you will need two pieces of freeware to "talk" with the scanner and feed text tag data to your server, Icecast. This will stream text tag data (MP3 metadata) to Winamp and iTunes, and also works with Quintessential Media Player. Although I don't like using media players I can't pronounce (nor spell) when drunk.

http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71443 is a short thread with the freeware and a bit more info.

No matter which way you decide to go, be prepared for the very sad day you have to say goodbye to your old friend Shoutcast. Shout is just not well suited for streaming text tags for scanners.

HTH,

Ryan
Do you know if Proscan will work with the BC9000XLT I'm also running the shoutcast sever with the winamp add on.

Thanks,
Kevin
http://geocities.com/kpoe_28

Lexxx

webstar22 said:
Tags won't work in Windows media we've tried for years to get this to work. the only way I i've been able to get it to work is use simplecast and run two feeds, one for winamp and everyone else and one windows media feed. Then the tags work.

Just so I'm clear. Are you saying Windows Media will display tags if used in conjunction with Simplecast?

It seems from your comments that Windows Media requires exclusive use of another running Simplecast, but have you been able to accomplish this, and can you help with the settings you used?

Thanks
Peter
www.ykf.ca

ICP963

Feed Provider
n0thj said:
Do you know if Proscan will work with the BC9000XLT I'm also running the shoutcast sever with the winamp add on.

Thanks,
Kevin
http://geocities.com/kpoe_28
Proscan only works with the newer dynamic memory scanners. The BC9000XLT has no computer control at all so the only way to stream that with alpha tags (sort of) would be to use the webcam method. I have never card for that way as it is a bandwidth hog.

I am currently running two streams here in the Phoenix AZ area and use Oddcast into an Icecast server in Georgia (I think). My first feed uses Oddcast, www.oddsock.org, for the feed and ID Tracker, http://bellsouthpwp.net/k/d/kd5eis/IDTracker/IDTracker.htm, to provide the tags from the BC245XLT. I also feed a second scanner into that feed suing a splitter with the taged radio on the ledt channel and the radio on the right channel is locked on out main fire dispatch channel. Oddcast grabs the tag info off the title bar of ID Tracker and appends the static tag for the right channel and send it as the streams metadata.

My second feed uses the same setup, but is only streaming one scanner, a BC296, at this time. My intention on this feed is to have ProScan replace ID Tracker and let Oddcast pick off the tags from there and have Proscan set in point to point mode so that I can log in remotely and have control of the scanner.

I stream using the ogg vorbis compression vs mp3 son media player will not work with it, but Winamp and Real Player seem to work well. I prefer Winamp anyway.

The two streams are at:

http://stream.electropost.net:8000/icp963.ogg.m3u

http://stream.electropost.net:8000/icp963b.ogg.m3u

73cuda

Hi guys,

I think this streaming stuff is great !

I'm trying to get mine set up and I think I'm almost there. But, when I try to connect from another PC on my LAN using winamp I get the following: Error Syncing to Server.

I'm using simplecast and icecast.

I've been reading the tut on scancapecod but I must be missing something. I am using a linksys router and have NOT done the port forwarding, not sure if that has anything to do with my problem or not.

Can anyone give me some advice ?

Thanks for any help.

ai4uk

Feed Provider
You need to setup port forwarding for icecast.

Help can be found here for your router: http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm

73cuda said:
Hi guys,

I think this streaming stuff is great !

I'm trying to get mine set up and I think I'm almost there. But, when I try to connect from another PC on my LAN using winamp I get the following: Error Syncing to Server.

I'm using simplecast and icecast.

I've been reading the tut on scancapecod but I must be missing something. I am using a linksys router and have NOT done the port forwarding, not sure if that has anything to do with my problem or not.

Can anyone give me some advice ?

Thanks for any help.

73cuda

Thanks, I got it. I did the router port forwarding (same router as yours) and it didn't work until I added "/live" behind my server IP and port number in "play URL" in Winamp.

It's working on my LAN now which is the main thing I wanted to start with.

I haven't found serproxy yet, I found monitor from the link on your website. That's the next step for me, alpha tags. I'm using a BC895XLT also.

BTW: I've enjoyed listening to your stream, good job.

Thanks, all your posts have helped me.

Status
Not open for further replies.