Is there a Online Marine radio to listen too?

Status
Not open for further replies.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Depending on the frequencies most of the radios at remotehams.com should be able to do it...

roeddog

shortwave,

the only one I've found so far is on a teamspeak server. It host's the the Coast Guard Boston station and 17 marine vhf channels.

I was listening last evening and the reception was pretty good, monitored a harbor pilot trying to board an inbound freighter.

Jeff

Duh, guess it helps to add the server info! 216.86.155.108:8005 the coast guard channel is about mid way down on the list

Last edited:

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin
Would you guys be interested in a feed from Long Island?
I was going to put it in my 'special' feed, but hold off until the summer when it was a bit warmer.
I would also only be scanning VHF marine...

If it is something of interest, I may place it online earlier.

Let me know..
Thanks

roeddog

w2lie said:
I was going to put it in my 'special' feed, but hold off until the summer when it was a bit warmer.

Let me know..
Thanks

Absolutely, I would listen year round. Actually I enjoy going to the shore here in SC during the winter... fewer people!

ecps92

That would be Awesome, I'm sure we could piggy Back on the Boston feed, unless it got to be too busy. Take a look at what we feed from Boston for now and do a comparision.

Don't think we need all the Marine channels, I locked out most of the Chit-chat and left it for most of the SAR and Port Ops.

w2lie said:

Let me know..
Thanks

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin
Tell you what...
I'm going to setup a Long Island USCG Feed.. I can get that running by the end of the year.
Probably not going to be all that exciting.

I'm going to call in some favors, and see if I can't get something setup closer to the City Line. Hopefully I can dig up an old radio, and a PC, and put together a Harbor feed for you guys.
Stay tuned!

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin
IF I can get the NYC Harbors running, what do you suggest I put online?
I was thinking that the standard VHF Marine freqs would work...
..and as a bonus, pop in the VHF/UHF Coast Guard freqs?
http://www.w2lie.net/e107_plugins/content/content.php?content.38

I may not be able to scan the freqs in the 200Mhz range. I only have a handful of radios I can use for this feed, and none of them operate in that band.

I emphasized the word IF because I haven't gotten word back on if I can set the feed up where I'd like to. I was trying for South Eastern Manhattan, but that didn't work out. Now I'm trying the other direction.

I may see how far I can pull on strings, and see if I can't get a Uniden Radio for the cause (So I can get some alpha tagging)....
...shall I pull on them now?!? Any donors.. LOL ;)

To the EAST, I will have a radio online for Nassau/Suffolk that will cover the 200mhz range, and will have alpha tags, so you'll know what your listening too.....
...But it may be a shared feed, to keep it active. (Some Media, Some Aviation..)

ecps92

I wouldn't put too much on-line too fast. I learned that in Boston.

During the Winter that might be ok, but during the Spring/Summer you get the weekend warriors who think it's a Cellphone.

Maybe Start with the USCG Operations Channels.
Ch.21, Ch.23, Ch.81, Ch.82, Ch.83

Even tho some might not be used in your area routinely, they tend to get
used during an event to move traffic to another working CG Channel.

Then of course the normal
Ch.16, Ch.09, Ch.22

w2lie said:

I may not be able to scan the freqs in the 200Mhz range. I only have a handful of radios I can use for this feed, and none of them operate in that band.

I emphasized the word IF because I haven't gotten word back on if I can set the feed up where I'd like to. I was trying for South Eastern Manhattan, but that didn't work out. Now I'm trying the other direction.

I may see how far I can pull on strings, and see if I can't get a Uniden Radio for the cause (So I can get some alpha tagging)....

To the EAST, I will have a radio online for Nassau/Suffolk that will cover the 200mhz range, and will have alpha tags, so you'll know what your listening too.....
...But it may be a shared feed, to keep it active. (Some Media, Some Aviation..)

ecps92

I wouldn't put too much on-line too fast. I learned that in Boston.

During the Winter that might be ok, but during the Spring/Summer you get the weekend warriors who think it's a Cellphone.

Maybe Start with the USCG Operations Channels.
Ch.21, Ch.23, Ch.81, Ch.82, Ch.83

Even tho some might not be used in your area routinely, they tend to get
used during an event to move traffic to another working CG Channel.

Then of course the normal
Ch.16, Ch.09, Ch.22

As you listen more, you might find some PORT Ops [Pilots on Ch.20 or Ch.20 Repeat] to add
but you don't want to overwhelm everyone where it never stops talking.

w2lie said:

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin
Just updating my progress....
I placed a radio and PC in the NYC area. It sounds GREAT!

I'm going to let it run in PRIVATE mode until the end of the year. Location, Bandwidth, and antenna are all donated property....so if having the feed there is screwing with the guy's network, I'll have to remove it....

....I'll let you know how it progresses as soon as the year turns.
Lots of activity..and I didn't put in any of the "non-commercial" channels.

Also, the radio for the Specialty feed is now back "home". I'll have to reprogram it before putting it back online.
This feed should also be back online by the new year. There will be Marine freqs in this feed that should cover Mid-Long Island (Great South Bay, and LI Sound).

Bote

know-it-all
Feed Provider
Fort Lauderdale marine & rail scanner feed

You might be interested in my little Shoutcast feed. It aint much, but it does hear the Port Everglades harbormaster and the Oakland Park drawbridge operator and approaching vessels on the I.C.W.

It's primary purpose is to scan Florida East Coast and CSX railroad traffic, infrequent as it is down here. Sometimes the jabber on the marine channels irritates me so much when I am here in the shack that I lock out the marine bank and just listen to rail and the local Wilton Manors police channel since they are right next to me. So you would be pretty much "listening over my shoulder".

The antenna is only about 15 feet a.g.l. and there is quite a bit of computer-generated racket around here for my tastes.

It is hosted at a buddy's streaming server so bandwidth should not be a problem, but my BellSouth DSL loses sync far too often for a minute or so at a time, so you have to put up with that.

None of this is guaranteed, so it's catch-as-catch-can. If you like it, listen in from time to time. If don't hear marine traffic right then, try again later.

http://colostreaming.com:8102/

Listen with WinAmp (preferred), iTunes, Windows Media Gizmo, or other mp3 streaming player of your choice.

Bote

know-it-all
Feed Provider
Boca Raton, Florida marine (plus) feed

I have some marine channels, plus a railroad and fire department stuff, on my new scanner feed in Boca Raton, Florida. The antenna is up about 30 feet and hears boats who say they are 9 miles offshore, so it hears pretty well.

Most of the marine activity is during the daylight hours. I have locked out the US Coast Guard working channels of 21, 22, and 23 because they use digital often and when they are in analog mode they sound awful. They really need to adjust their radio setup.

The fire traffic has priority, but if you're jonesing for some marine traffic I can usually supply.

http://colostreaming.com:8104/listen.pls

Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.