RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > System Administration and Maintenance

System Administration and Maintenance - Here is where radio system managers can discuss some of the more intricate details of managing their complex radio systems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2018, 5:28 PM
Sheriff
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Activity Beeps generation

For decades police and fire agencies in the LA area have used activity beeps on the base frequency when mobiles are talking on the mobile frequency in order to let users know the channel is busy. The repeaters usually do not repeat the mobile traffic unless it is enabled by the console operator.

The question has arisen as to how and by what are the tones generated. Are they generated by the repeater itself when activity from the voter is detected or does it come from the console?

I seem to recall seeing this option in the Quantar RSS before I retired, while our agency didn't use it I have listened to LAFD, LACSO and CHP for years especially when Low Band was hopping.

Facts are facts but my opinions are my own and may not reflect those of whom I work for.
Sponsored links
Old 10-09-2018, 6:50 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Well, I had typed a whole response to this, but apparently forgot to hit ENTER. It's hell trying to do this at 1:00 AM.

Would you be talking about 'channel markers'?

I can say as much as this: On an Orbacom TDM150 console system, they're generated by the individual console position. I was at a fairly new TDM150 installation & a dispatcher turned on the channel marker by accident, but didn't remember what she'd done. Took a couple minutes to find it & turn it off.

Can't say I remember anything in Quantar RSS for it; but I don't know everything (in spite of what I used to tell my 2 kids when they were little).

There are a couple of discussions of channel markers here on RR.
Old 10-09-2018, 7:20 AM
Sheriff
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

No, the channel marker is a different animal altogether, intended for use when the channel is reserved for an incident and activated by the console operator manually. We too had that issue, someone activated it and didn't know it and couldn't figure out where it came from. The channel marker is typically a longer beep but spaced out further while the activity marker is shorter beeps closer together.

What they have in California is automatic, a low level beep from the repeater that, while similar to the channel marker, is active whenever the mobile channel is busy. The repeater is not active unless specifically enabled by the console operator so the beep reminds mobile units that the channel is busy. I *think* that it is activated by the voter being active but was wondering if the tone itself is generated by the console or repeater. Could it be generated by the voter?

Facts are facts but my opinions are my own and may not reflect those of whom I work for.
Old 10-21-2018, 10:13 PM
Colorado DB Administrator
Database Admin

Do you have an audio example of this? I have ideas, and they are related to voting, but I'd like to hear what you're talking about before making a comment.
Old 10-21-2018, 10:50 PM

Green he is meaning the lasd beeping on the system when a mobile is talking on the system
Old 10-21-2018, 10:51 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaRx7nyiR9Y&t=362s go to 5:07 for what he is talking about
Old Yesterday, 12:05 AM
Sheriff
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by riccom View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaRx7nyiR9Y&t=362s go to 5:07 for what he is talking about

That is exactly that, thanks!

I used to have cassette tapes of LA County skip from the 80's but lost them in one of the moves years ago. Wish I still had them, many had the beeps we have been discussing.

Old Yesterday, 12:08 AM

Ok the lasd is a voter system, the tones are generated by the system as the user talks and informs other users that the channel is in use, and can be flipped on by the dispatcher to allow the mobile units to be repeated over the channel,

Sent from my 5049Z using Tapatalk