Outage 1/11/2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Folks, I know you've got a lot of questions and concerns about today's multi-hour outage today. Rest assured we were scrambling to get everything back up and running.

We needed to migrate to a new database infrastructure and unfortunately some other events required us to push up our plans with little notice and a lot more downtime than we wanted.

I'll have a full post-mortem here soon after things settle down. Thanks for your patience.

majoco

Stirrer
No worries, Lyndsay, you gotta do what you gotta do. I'll just have another mug of joe and wait until the withdrawal symptoms die down!

Thanks for an excellent forum, we all appreciate you hard work.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
You and the crew do a great job keeping the system up.. Despite what all the whiners on Facebook and Twitter say..

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
You and the crew do a great job keeping the system up.. Despite what all the whiners on Facebook and Twitter say..

Same here. Stuff happens. As radio and/or scanner enthusiasts, everyone should know that. My advice to them: Get Over It.

kma371

QRT
Despite what all the whiners on Facebook and Twitter say..

Agreed. It was a bit ridiculous. A few hours of not being able to access the site isn't the end of the world. At least for me.

K9DAK

Premium Subscriber
Yup! Here's what I posted on the FB comments criticizing Broadcastify...

"As a feed provider, I can count on one hand the number of times my feed has been down due to a Broadcastify issue in the five years my feed’s been running. Kudos!
1f37b.png
"

Great job guys (and/or gals)... keep it up!

CQ

Image Uploading Broken?

Tried to post images and nothing works.
Formats: .jpg, gif and .png
Less than maximum resolution
Less than maximum size

This is not a valid image file.

jasonhouk

Folks, I know you've got a lot of questions and concerns about today's multi-hour outage today. Rest assured we were scrambling to get everything back up and running.

We needed to migrate to a new database infrastructure and unfortunately some other events required us to push up our plans with little notice and a lot more downtime than we wanted.

I'll have a full post-mortem here soon after things settle down. Thanks for your patience.

Looking forward to the "post-mortem".

Thanks

J

N9JIG

Sheriff
I had the same issue uploading a pic to the Forums. I get an error saying it is not a valid image file and it appends the image name with a colon. I would attach an image with the screenshot but alas, I can't...

bharvey2

No worries. I've been on both sides of a misbehaving website. It's no fun but hey, it happens and life goes on.

delaware74b

Was this outage a result of the problems that also occurred on Jan 4? I had a banner at the top of my Scanner Radio App (android free version) "Broadcastify.com is currently experiencing server or network problems. Scanner feeds relayed by them (which is the majority of the ones in the directory) are currently unavailable."

Kudos to blantonl and everybody who works to keeping broadcastify up and running!

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Was this outage a result of the problems that also occurred on Jan 4? I had a banner at the top of my Scanner Radio App (android free version) "Broadcastify.com is currently experiencing server or network problems. Scanner feeds relayed by them (which is the majority of the ones in the directory) are currently unavailable."

Kudos to blantonl and everybody who works to keeping broadcastify up and running!

The problems on Jan 4th and in late Dec 2017, were all due to the same issues.

Yesterday's issues required us to move up a migrate timeline from a few weeks to *now*. That necessitated us taking down everything vs an orderly migration. That also resulted in more downtime yesterday because we had to prepare a backup plan if things didn't go right.

Most important thing for me is to protect data first, and all things come second.

More to follow. It's a long and sordid technical story :)

Status
Not open for further replies.