Incentives for adding frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

dsviper22

There should be some sort of incentive for sending updates or additions to the database. It was frustrating when I sent in updates for my local area then went to download the updated freq's in my arc330 program to find out my premium membership expired recently! Why would I send updates if I get nothing back???

D

DaveNF2G

I would oppose any such incentives unless they were very carefully structured so that people would not be "rewarded" for uploading bogus data.

morfis

DaveNF2G said:
I would oppose any such incentives unless they were very carefully structured so that people would not be "rewarded" for uploading bogus data.

Upload one freq, have it verified and tbe allowed to download one.

Maybe upload a whole trunked system and get the next free (smaller one free subject to stock availability etc, usual disclaimers apply E&OE).

Whilst I see some merit in the idea I don't see a sensible way of administering it.

OP: You say you uploaded info and then found your subscription had lapsed...if it was that important that you should need the download then maybe checking the subscription first would have been better!

Mylan

Feed Provider
dsviper22 said:
Why would I send updates if I get nothing back???

It's called good karma....

That is an absurd idea.... just make a new contribution and help the webmaster keep this fine site up and running.... I think everyone who uses this site regularly should make a donation.

greenthumb

Colorado DB Administrator
Database Admin
I kind of look at it like the loose change jar next to the cash register at a store. On occasion you take a penny out when you need it, other times you throw a dime in.

N4JNW

Free stuff is always good, but when I can, I like to see that someone gets something back.

The database, and the Radio Reference forums might be free to the members, but they were NOT free to the site owner. I'm not a sponge, and I don't like to mooch any resources that were laid out here, even if "free" members were allowed to use them. I used to be a "free" member, then I got to dipping into the database heavily, and posting heavily.

I figured if I was gonna hang out here all the time, and beat off on the forum and take information from the database, I should donate a few bucks.

But on the note of adding frequencies, and incentives and such, I think the idea would suck. The database is free for all members, paying or not. I do hope it stays this way, but if it doesn't, I'll still contribute $$, and I'll still contribute frequency information to help out the next guy.

The incentive for adding a frequency to the database, is just that. You're helping out the "next guy" that buys a scanner and needs frequency information.

Friend, how many times have you searched for frequency information for your area only to come up with some outdated list?

Your incentive is to lend a hand to a fellow scanner listener who needs information.

It's like a blood drive. YOU do not benefit from donating. However, someone who NEEDS what you did donate, will be forever grateful.

n4voxgill

Silent Key
There are usually many more visitors using this site than members. People share by submitting frequencies and then they are for use by all at no cost. Nobody has to pay for frequency information.

Some people then become premium subscribers to be able to use the other functions that are on this site. When the premium category was established, I was paid up for more than five years. Why? Because for years I had sent money to help pay the cost of providing this site. I wanted to help keep all of this information available. I guess people think money grows on trees. You can find frequency information at many sites. But this is the only site that lets you download into your software. This site has some great features, that are all beyond just frequencies.

It would be a nightmare trying to keep track of how many frequencies someone has submitted and then how many they have downloaded.

For years I would check strong signals and then this site on a daily basis. strong signals has no premium category. It has also died on the vine as this site has grown. I don't even bother to check strong signals any more. I feel I really do get what I pay for. I gladly support this site and think that it is great that many times there are 200 on line here at the same time. But the ability to handle many users is not free. I don't want to see people wanting fix something that is not broken.

Last edited:
D

DaveNF2G

I only check Strong Signals to see if Scanners Unlimited is running a special this month. :)

mciupa

dsviper22 said:

Very selfish attitude.:evil:

Keep your updates to yourself , there is most likely a more giving, sharing person in your region that will share for the good of all.:mad:

I hope you like who you see in the mirror.:(

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Karma is a wonderful thing

There is NO place here for someone who feels they need to be "rewarded" for sharing information. There are sites he can PAY to obtain data with no other obligation. What makes this site so valuable is that we all contribute. Some people are able to contribute more than others; some are able to contribute knowledge, some time, some information; but we all contribute. If someone feels they do not get back from being a part of this site ... then please do not feel a need to stick around. We won't miss you.

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
A big problem is that someone comes behind you and sends info that overwrites your known good info. It's happened to me, and makes me wonder if it's worthwhile to contribute.

hankv

Grog said:
A big problem is that someone comes behind you and sends info that overwrites your known good info. It's happened to me, and makes me wonder if it's worthwhile to contribute.

On the flip side of that - My local system was reshuffled several years ago and the RR DB is the only listing which has the changes. TG's for my county Fire and Sheriff used to be in the 52xxx - 53xxx range, but they're now in the 23xxx range.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
dsviper22 said:

Gosh dsviper, I thought I was giving you a tremendous amount back by providing a completely free platform to share your updates and provide a set of user forums.

I think the incentive of contributing to the community is a pretty darn good incentive, and seems to have worked quite well over the past 5 years.

In any case, thanks for continuing to be a premium subscriber, and I hope that the value added features that you get are worth the $2.50/month...

retroactiv

I understand that everything in this world costs money, and to make money you must spend some. I also understand that there are quite a few prem. members on this website, my 2.50 a month might not pay for all of the services but with the couple hundred members paying there 2.50 a month adds up. I would think that there would be some profit in there, it is a business and with any biz you expect profit. With this business it is expected that members paying and non paying give there time and energy to go out and find new freqs, talk groups, etc then add them to this database for free, then some of these people donate. Maybe the owner of radioreference should give maybe a day of prem service for a freq, TG, or what ever is submitted then confirmed. This would be to show his thanks for the people that help add to his business because with out those people like us there is no way that radioreference would be as succesful as what it is.

Dubbin

Feed Provider
retroactiv said:
I understand that everything in this world costs money, and to make money you must spend some. I also understand that there are quite a few prem. members on this website, my 2.50 a month might not pay for all of the services but with the couple hundred members paying there 2.50 a month adds up. I would think that there would be some profit in there, it is a business and with any biz you expect profit. With this business it is expected that members paying and non paying give there time and energy to go out and find new freqs, talk groups, etc then add them to this database for free, then some of these people donate. Maybe the owner of radioreference should give maybe a day of prem service for a freq, TG, or what ever is submitted then confirmed. This would be to show his thanks for the people that help add to his business because with out those people like us there is no way that radioreference would be as succesful as what it is.

Some of you are just not understanding this. The money is not about who contributes to the site, its who wants to help support the site and keep it up and running. Many of us donated money before it was a requirement for certain features... If you ask everyone of the hard core members here I am willing to bet they would agree with me.

Oh and who really cares if Lindsay makes money off of this site or not... If he does then good for him.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Where do you guys think the money for the servers and the ridiculous amount of bandwidth that this site surely uses up comes from? I honestly doubt Lindsay is raking in U-Hauls full of cash at the end of the day.

What should the user expect in return for the radio data they contribute? The knowledge that their area is up to date with the information they provided, and that others will be able to scan and share that information.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Members of RR make it great!

A site with 100,000 "members" and all this traffic certainly must use bandwidth. And that costs $$$. The computer and associated hardware came from someplace, and will eventually have to be replaced. $$$ to do that will need to come from someplace. These issues are merely the tip of the iceberg.

What makes this site valuable is the people who are here and their contributions. The existing model seems to work quite well. Paying someone for info seems a lot like "blood money". All that kind of incentive ever does is taint the supply.

dsviper22

What the heck..... It was just a suggestion! Oh my gawd! *eyes blinking* I thought this was for "SUGGESTIONS" not flames???? Suddenly I am the devil and should die? Whiskey Tango Foxtrot! I never said I would STOP sending in updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.