newbie question

Status
Not open for further replies.

barlage

Premium Subscriber
I am by far a newbie with radios, but I have conventional frequencies just fine. I am looking for trunking freqencies on this site, but all I can find are talkgroups numbers and no 800.000 mhz frequencies besides county ones which I wouldn't know what they are used for anyway. If someone could give a link somewhere to frequencies in NW Ohio with OSP, lifeflight, etc. that would be great. Thank you.

barlage

Premium Subscriber
I've been to those pages before. Below is an example of what I find, I still can't see the mhz frequencies except under counties, but it doesn't say what they are actually used for. Sorry for my ignorance on this subject.

DEC HEX Display Description
16000 3e8 POST 02 OSP Post 2 (Lima)
16016 3e9 P02TAC OSP Post 2 (Lima)

chief52ptfd

I think you are trying to look at it as a conventional radio system. It is not. It is a trunked radio system and all the units "share" the same freqs. Depending on your scanner you need to put the cotrol channels in a scan bank then add the ID's to an ID bank for trunk tracking to work (to follow the agancies you want to hear). If you add just the site freqs, county freqs as you said, you will hear everything on the system and it is real hard to follow.

What type of scanner do you have?

With trunking take everything you now about programming a scanner (for contevtional systems) and throw it all away.

N4JNW

Trunking is a new world. Don't worry, you'll understand it with time.

In a nutshell, you have a handful of frequencies, with many agencies that operate on them.

In a conventional system, you're used to your Police, EMS, Fire, Etc., being on their own special frequency. In a trunked system, it's not like that. Instead of frequencies, each agency, such as EMS, has a talkgroup. The talkgroup is a special code that is assigned to all the radio's in each ambulance. The Police have their own talkgroup as well, which is assigned to all the radio's in each patrol car, and to the walkie talkies the officers carry.

At any given time, the Police could be on one frequency, and 3 seconds later, they could be on a completely DIFFERENT frequency. This is accomplished by a central computer, that identifies the talkgroup, assigns it a frequency, and "tunes" the radio's that need to be recieving the talkgroup, so they can hear it.

It's a much better way to have several agencies on just a few frequencies. In a big city, you could have several hundred talkgroups, including Police, EMS, Fire, all the way up to trash trucks, Water companies, Security guards, and more, using only 13 or 15 frequencies.

In a conventioanl system, several hundred agencies would need several hundred frequencies to accomodate them all, and here, they all SHARE a set of frequencies. As microphones are keyed and unkeyed, the frequencies are recycled. So if you monitor one frequency, you could hear the Police there one minute, and the next minute hear the EMS going on a run. Trunking scanners hold on an individual talkgroup, instead of the frequency.

You'll learn!

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
barlage said:
I've been to those pages before. Below is an example of what I find, I still can't see the mhz frequencies except under counties, but it doesn't say what they are actually used for. Sorry for my ignorance on this subject.

DEC HEX Display Description
16000 3e8 POST 02 OSP Post 2 (Lima)
16016 3e9 P02TAC OSP Post 2 (Lima)
Correct, those are two talk-groups used by OSP Post2 on the trunking system. The frequencies for the trunking system are closer to the top of the page. Read Trunking Basics in the RR Wiki, it will help you on your way.

barlage

Premium Subscriber
I have a pro-95 scanner from radio shack. I don't really have any clue how to program the frequencies and then the talkgroups. Thanks for explaining trunking to me, that's a great help. But I still need to find the actual freqencies to program the talkgroups don't I? I can't find them for the agencies I am looking for. Just those few under each county. Sorry if I'm missing something obvious.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
barlage said:
I have a pro-95 scanner from radio shack. I don't really have any clue how to program the frequencies and then the talkgroups. Thanks for explaining trunking to me, that's a great help. But I still need to find the actual freqencies to program the talkgroups don't I? I can't find them for the agencies I am looking for. Just those few under each county. Sorry if I'm missing something obvious.
Well actually you are missing a couple of things.

First I figured you are trying to load your scanner with Ohio MARCS system and some of the TG's (based on your example above.) I told you before that you had to program the frequencies from the list at the top of the page. Normally I would explain to look for the sites near you and program them; however...

Second...you finally said what kind of scanner you have, and it cannot be used on that TRS because it uses 100% APCO-25 CAI digital modulation, you have an analog only scanner.

If you want to listen to anything on that system, prepare yourself for sticker shock.

Status
Not open for further replies.