RE: loumaag

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryangassxx

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
RE: loumaag

Sorry guys,

I don't mean to undermine your authority by opening a closed topic like this but there is no way it can be left like that.

I couldn't help but notice that yet ANOTHER complaint was brought up against loumaag, and that is was closed without any real resolution. In fact all that was really achieved was a nice little spin maneuver that attempted to make it seem like moderation in general was the problem. I think we've all been quite clear in the past and present that it's one member of the moderating staff in particular that has been causing problems.

I understand that a lot of the members here act like children and that a lot of our input is treated as such, but how many times does the same issue have to be brought up by separate people before it is looked at more seriously?

Now I can see if this were an isolated case of a member calling out a moderator over some petty squabble, but I could probably pull up a list of threads just like this one if I queried "loumaag" in the search function of this forum.

The issue with loumaag is not his inability to moderate. The main issue is his mouth. He's never short on smug comments. It's not enough to close a thread, he's always gotta have his little zinger in there right before he does. Just in general, the way he conducts himself in this forum is not representative of a moderator IMO, and it's obviously rubbing a LOT of people the wrong way.

I'll just say this one time.. From one webmaster to another. I understand that the way you run this site is not a democracy. But it's never good when you begin to fall out of the good graces of your general user base. I might consider giving us a bit more credit..

bezking

Woo hoo!

Well, Mr. Lou Maag has responded swiftly and politely to my numerous requests. I say to keep up the good work.

Last edited:

RolnCode3

Personally, I've been on the site just over 3 years.

I've had one run-in with a moderator (he told me what I had done wrong...I didn't agree that I was at fault, but I knew it was his job to tell me and gain compliance) that was due to conflict with another member. I respected the moderator then, and do now.

I support loumaag and all of the other moderators. Just like my line of work, you rarely see the 'atta-boys', but you always hear the complaints.

Keep up the good work mods!

And if an opinionated A-hole like ME can keep from getting in trouble...

acarsnut

All that was done on this matter was make me look like the bad guy! All he had to do was let me know why.But he wanted to be a smart mouth above all.Webmaster didnt seem to care at all about the truth.

Last edited:

brandon

Database Admin
Simply don't break the rules and you won't have any problems with mods :) Woah... too simple!

acarsnut

brandon said:
Simply don't break the rules and you won't have any problems with mods :) Woah... too simple!

Well remember when you make a mistake and he talks to you like a dog then we will see where you stand from there. woah...too simple!!!!

ryangassxx

Banned
PLEASE let's not let this topic spiral out of control. One of the main reasons why we're never looked at with any credibility is because of the way we go on.

If you haven't got anything relevant to add, please just refrain.

blinddog50

ATTICA!!!, ATTICA!!!, ATTICA!!!.

C'mon guys lighten up.
Lindsay owns this site.
Lindsay picks the moderators.
Lindsay is nice enough to let us gather around this campfire and share stories and info.
The owner and the coaches make the rules.
Take your ball and go home if you don't want to play.

"Can't we all just get along"-----Rodney King

Is rice pudding considered a vegetable dish or a dessert?

Colin9690

Delaware County, OH
Premium Subscriber
FireRescueMedic11 said:
nothing ever gets solved when in dictation, it's their way or the highway, and that sucks
Well, there's the exit...you don't HAVE to be on this site you know. If you don't like how it's run, no one's making you stay.

acarsnut

KCChiefs9690 said:
Well, there's the exit...you don't HAVE to be on this site you know. If you don't like how it's run, no one's making you stay.

That seems to be the answer for all the problems here. Dont fix the issue just tell the member to go away and shut up.And lock the tread.

I will not comment anymore on this. it doesnt do any good.

Last edited:

garys

Premium Subscriber
A couple of points.

Every forum I've ever visited has a problem with over moderation. Let me be clear in that I'm not saying that anyone in particular on this forum is doing. A lot of that is perspective anyway.

If you have a problem you should send a PM to the administrator. I and another member did that on a different forum and the administrator thanked us and got the offending moderator to change his ways. You won't win if you get in a public dispute with a moderator. If possible that is, and that seems to be a problem here in that I don't think Lindsey accepts PMs.

I've always found that the best moderators take a light hand and to most of their moderating by PM or email. People accept criticism much more readily if it's constructive and in private, not blasted over a public forum.

N4JNW

I don't see why it's so hard to follow the rules.... Follow the rules, and everything is fine.

N4JNW

From a PM I recieved...

acarsnut said:
Yes I understand that.But when you make a mistake. does it mean you have to be treated like ****??? Is the forum a perfect place? No we make mistakes and that is the issue here.Not about rules.

Take care

You're right. Just because you make a mistake, don't mean you need to get barked at for it. I've made many here myself... But, in the same time, I have learned from mine, and learned from the mistakes of others. Lou is only a person, just like me and you. Not that I personally agree with some of his choices, but hey, he's a moderator.. What can you do? He made his choice, because it's what he thought would be good at the time, and what would benefit the community as a whole.

He was chosen by Lindsay, because Lindsay thought Lou would be a good person for the task of moderator. When you're a moderator, you don't go around locking and deleting stuff just because you can...

Last edited:

grcjrsc

Moderating a forum with the amount of traffic that this one generates is difficult enough with out getting lots comments from the peanut gallery. If the rules aren't enforced the boards turn bad quickly, seen it happen too many time. Kudos to all the moderators for all the work that they do, and Thanks to Mr. Blanton for providing this great tool for the monitoring community.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Give Lou a break! Do you want the job? I think he does an outstanding job moderating the forums. He has been here from the start and is one of, if not the most knowlegeable, scanner professionals in the hobby. He has good days and bad days just like everyone else, but when it comes down to it he can help a noobs and the pros more than anyone else on the net.

I've stepped on my self a few times and he has kept me on the level. I can't complain, this is one of the best radio forums on the net, and Lou is a part of it.

Grow up, get over it, or move on to another hobby, IMHO.:roll:

zz0468

QRT
Banned
I am a moderator on another site with around 30,000 members. I can say from experience that it is a thankless, difficult job, where there is always SOMEONE who's pissed off at you. especially if you're doing your job.

From what I've seen here, this site has it's fair share of trolls and trouble makers, and more than it's fair share of smart mouth, obstinate, cranky members. I think the moderators do an admirable job keeping a lid on it. I could see a place like this decending into chaos. If a thread is closed with a smart mouth comment, it's probably merely in response to another. I have yet to see a situation here where I disagree with how any of the moderators have handled things.

ryangassxx

Banned
MAN,... some of you guys really need to lean how to read and/or follow a topic..

Like i've said for like the THIRD time now.. the issue is NOT moderation..

The problem is with one guy in particular who has a mouth..

Everyone wants to come in and chime in on this topic but nobody wants to READ what we're talking about..

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
I agree with zz0468. There is most certainly a "peanut gallery" at this website (and at most for that matter) that tends to wait in the wings and chime in, often unnecessarily, to apparently flaunt their self-importance and alleged superiority. I've been a victim of it a few times. It's unfortunate, as it's clear that many of these people are clearly intelligent and well versed individuals. It seems that they have too much time on their hands, and obtain some sort of release by berating those that are less informed at certain subjects than they are.

On the other hand, there are certain people that - despite everyone's best efforts - just don't get it and just don't read or absorb the instructions. I've seen that at my website several times. Those that would jump before they think just need to downshift a bit and RTFM. It's available here, and any good website is going to have a growing FAQ and guidelines section to assist newbies.

You can lead a horse to water...but you can't get them to drink...the ancient adage will hold true forever.

Were I a moderator here, I would have squashed a lot of threads a lot earlier than they have been. I think these guys for the most part work with very good restraint. Their job is indeed a thankless one.

Thanks, guys.

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
ryangassxx said:
Everyone wants to come in and chime in on this topic but nobody wants to READ what we're talking about..

Ryan, this is an interesting topic, but I think the bottom line is that you chose to call out Lou in a public forum as opposed to doing it privately. I think you have to reap what you sew in this case, and expect people to express their opinions regarding the situation. I read what you were talking about, certainly. But what WE'RE talking about are our opinions on moderation as a whole, and how much of a ***** it really is to deal with it.

I have enough trouble at my little regional website. This place cranks out an immense volume of messages. Lou - and all the rest of the moderators here - do the best they can. You're feeling frustration...imagine the frustration they feel dealing with the volume that they do. As I stated in my last message, I think they conduct themselves with great restraint overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.