Request: New Canadian sub forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
In response to this thread
http://radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77589

I would like to suggest a new tavern sub forum for Canadian related, non radio conversations.
As I stated in that thread: A lot of the general-type chit-chat is of very little interest to anyone outside of Canada so would quickly become annoying to the somewhat dominating tavern regs.

Thanks.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
In my opinion I think this site would be a waste of time.
I dont think I'd presonally be interested in anything that resembles the tavern here.

Are we (canadians) gonna be any more tolerant than the americans in the tavern.
Are we gonna have guys like Great Lakes post news stories on here like there is no tomorrow?
Can we get along? Does anyone here really care about anyone eleses politics, do i want to hear you ***** about ____________?
Are Conservatives gonna get along with Liberals if political stuff gets posted?
If anything I think it is time for Toronto/GTA or at least Ontario to get its own room.

my 2c worth.
Eric

SCPD

QRT
EJB said:
In my opinion I think this site would be a waste of time.
I dont think I'd presonally be interested in anything that resembles the tavern here.

Are we (canadians) gonna be any more tolerant than the americans in the tavern.
Are we gonna have guys like Great Lakes post news stories on here like there is no tomorrow?
Can we get along? Does anyone here really care about anyone eleses politics, do i want to hear you ***** about ____________?
Are Conservatives gonna get along with Liberals if political stuff gets posted?
If anything I think it is time for Toronto/GTA or at least Ontario to get its own room.

my 2c worth.
Eric

Thanks for the input Eric,
Good to hear honest opinions on either side.
The bonus of a Canadian tavern was more a suggestion to allow some of the clutter to stay out of the main radio forum. A place where you could choose to go for the nonsense or not...Instead of having to dig through it to get to good radio posts.

I don't know that everyone would get along no matter WHAT solution is put in place. It's just that kind of dynamic on every one of these forums I've ever been to...No matter what the main topic is supposed to be.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
wheelchair said:
Thanks for the input Eric,
Good to hear honest opinions on either side.
The bonus of a Canadian tavern was more a suggestion to allow some of the clutter to stay out of the main radio forum. A place where you could choose to go for the nonsense or not...Instead of having to dig through it to get to good radio posts.

I don't know that everyone would get along no matter WHAT solution is put in place. It's just that kind of dynamic on every one of these forums I've ever been to...No matter what the main topic is supposed to be.

I'd be curious to see if there is enough demand for our own forum.
How many are there anyways, us canucks?

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
GreatLakes said:
Apparently not. :cool:
Great Lakes, for all your news posts and fights with Njay at least you have a sense of humour & can take it.

I honestly dont think that it would fly, I guess it comes to this, who would want to moderate it and how much interest is there in a discussion board.

I dont think it would ever get to the point of the regular tavern as there is more that units us in canada (in my opinion) that divides you Americans.
The issues that start fights in the tavern wouldnt come to blows talking with canadians.
Wackers, whatever, we dont have a sense that we have to watch the watchers that much.
Wars, hell, we are not a superpower that everyone hates (but secretly loves).

I just dont think that outside of a little leeway in the Ontario forum that a tavern for canadians is justified.

It might just be time for someone to start up a chat program and let whomever vent there.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
EJB said:
Great Lakes, for all your news posts and fights with Njay at least you have a sense of humour & can take it.

I honestly dont think that it would fly, I guess it comes to this, who would want to moderate it and how much interest is there in a discussion board.

I dont think it would ever get to the point of the regular tavern as there is more that units us in canada (in my opinion) that divides you Americans.
The issues that start fights in the tavern wouldnt come to blows talking with canadians.
Wackers, whatever, we dont have a sense that we have to watch the watchers that much.
Wars, hell, we are not a superpower that everyone hates (but secretly loves).

I just dont think that outside of a little leeway in the Ontario forum that a tavern for canadians is justified.

It might just be time for someone to start up a chat program and let whomever vent there.

Actually I don't know why RR keeps the regular Tavern going! It just pisses everyone off all the time. I like to discuss issues of all types, it's how we learn, and try to understand what others are thinking, and feeling. But it doesn't work out too well sometimes.

scannerfreak

Database Admin
GreatLakes said:
Actually I don't know why RR keeps the regular Tavern going! It just pisses everyone off all the time.

Lindsay told you why in the last thread..

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
It's called "RadioReference" for a reason.

wheelchair said:
A place where you could choose to go for the nonsense or not...Instead of having to dig through it to get to good radio posts.

See that's the whole problem, people forget that this site is called RadioReference.

They seem to think that it's ok to go off topic and then they get mad when the thread is locked.

If it's not related to "Scanning in Eastern Canada" and doesn't fit in any other scanning forum, then it belongs in the Tavern.

Doesn't matter whether it's a local Toronto issue or a worldwide issue. Off it goes to the Tavern.

If you really want to chit chat about non-scanning items particular to Eastern Canada or Toronto, use the Tavern or find another site.

We don't need another Tavern. The one we've got now is bad enough.

SCPD

QRT
So, there you go,
The nays have it.

Looking at the original thread I referenced I must say I have changed my mind and agree that the last thing this place needs is another area for vile venum to be spewed.

I have enjoyed my time here but it seems the RR minority is just a bit too rough of a crowd for me. I have sent a message requesting that my profile be deleted. I'll move on to something else.

Thanks to all those that help to keep this place going with dedication.

Regards,
DW.

(Mods, you are more than welcome to lock this one up at your convenience: asked and answered).

Status
Not open for further replies.