Dating Original Post 10/07/2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcema699

Under each new thread, the starter of that thread is named.
To see the date that thread was started you actually have to enter the thread and look at the first post to see when it was started.

I may have looked at a thread of a new install months ago. A new user looks through all the installs and makes a post The post is bumped to the top with the recent reply. I go to the thread based on the date of new reply only to find I've looked at it and moved on. On the other hand a new picture may be added by a person and use a similar heading from one in the past. I may think I've seen it and miss out on a good idea.

Could the original date of thread start be placed beside the name of the thread originator or heading? I realize that this could only be added to posts made after revision of the layout.

Stevebenow

I'd vote for that idea... I've done the same and would like to see the original date of post listed...

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
This is probably a code modification that may not be easy to perform. Those of you that want it, are you familiar with vBulletin and know what needs to be done?

Usually ideas like this should be researched over at the vBulletin forums. People post backend modifications all the time. If you can't find it there then it may not happen. I don't think Lindsay would risk it.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
scanjunkie said:
I believe it can be done...and would love to see it done as well!!

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=218808&highlight=date
Oh, it can be done but someone has to write the code to make the changes. The link above is someone else asking the same question but no info on if it's been documented as done before. I believe this thread is the solution to what's being requested.

Hopefully Lindsay will run across this thread and comment.

bezking

wayne_h said:
Oh, it can be done but someone has to write the code to make the changes. The link above is someone else asking the same question but no info on if it's been documented as done before. I believe this thread is the solution to what's being requested.

Needs an upgrade. We are on vB 3.5.4, the plugin officially supports 3.6

scanjunkie

wayne_h said:

I'm pickin' up what you're puttin' down...thanks for the info, Wayne.

blackice

There doesn't seem to be much in that plugin that would prevent it from working on a 3.5 board. If it doesn't, I could probably do a slight mod to it so it would.

Comint

Premium Subscriber
mcema699 said:
Under each new thread, the starter of that thread is named.
To see the date that thread was started you actually have to enter the thread and look at the first post to see when it was started.
At the risk of being accused of hijacking the thread.

A similar problem exists in the Forums index. The 'Last Post' field indicates if there are new posts in a forum, but you have to enter the forum to determine if it is just one new post, or many new posts.

The Forums index shows the number of viewers in each forum, ie., (xx Viewing). Would it be possible to add a similar field to show the number of new posts in a forum, eg, (xx New Post/s). Then, if it showed '1 New Post/s', and the subject was of no interest, there would be no need to enter that forum, thus saving time and bandwidth.

Status
Not open for further replies.