Topics that the users feel should be in the wiki

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
It's long overdue, in my (alright, not so humble) opinion, that we ask the RR users, as well as those that use the Wiki on a regular basis, for a list of topics that they feel the wiki should cover, but we don't have anything on it yet. As of now, we have 792 articles, touching everything from HF topics right up to satellite. That does not mean we've covered everything - not by a long shot.

What kind of topics? Here are just a few examples - use some imagination, keep it to the topic of monitoring and let's hear from you - because without you, the wiki goes nowhere....

• A simple, step by step list of how to program the new DMA scanners. We've got several programming shortcut articles already, but none for the new Unidens. Included in this is a clear and consise set of definitions for new terms such as Quick Key, System Quick Key, any GPS related terms that the new DMA scanners utilize or describe, and so forth. Such definitions can and probably should be added to the RR Glossary

• A similar document for the new GRE PSR-500 and upcoming 600 scanners.

• This one is definitely a tall order, but certainly doable - an article for each state, outlining about 2 dozen commonly heard milair frequencies for your area, excluding the ARTCC UHFs. The purpose of such a list is to be able to give the newcomer something that they can hear reasonably easily, and to provide a gauge of just how their setup is working. Remember, make it brief!

• More receiver reviews! It doesn't have to be technical by any means - included in this review are hints and tips not documented in the manual, undocumented keystrokes, functions and so forth

Let's hear from you....73s Mike

Starcom21

IL /MO/Global DB Adm!n
Database Admin
You make it, they will come...

The wiki is up to the USERS to create the information... I do believe!

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
ka3jjz said:
This one is definitely a tall order, but certainly doable - an article for each state, outlining about 2 dozen commonly heard milair frequencies for your area, excluding the ARTCC UHFs.
Mike, you & I had some brief dialog regarding this at least a year ago. I am all for this (yes, I haven't done anything & nothing is stopping me & I would be glad to start something for Ohio). One long-term question was: would these freqs ever make it into the database, and if so, how? But that doesn't need to be answered right now.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
A simple, step by step list of how to program the new DMA scanners. We've got several programming shortcut articles already, but none for the new Unidens. Included in this is a clear and consise set of definitions for new terms such as Quick Key, System Quick Key, any GPS related terms that the new DMA scanners utilize or describe, and so forth. Such definitions can and probably should be added to the RR Glossary

As the original author (with rights retained), I give permission for my introductory article to be posted in full in the wiki (right now there are just links). I won't have time to do this for a while, but if anyone wants to take the time to format it over, I only ask that my copyright be retained.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
eorange said:
Mike, you & I had some brief dialog regarding this at least a year ago. I am all for this (yes, I haven't done anything & nothing is stopping me & I would be glad to start something for Ohio). One long-term question was: would these freqs ever make it into the database, and if so, how? But that doesn't need to be answered right now.

It would be up to the database admins to absorb the freqs from the wiki. In fact, I will probably make a point in the next news release - and perhaps cc to Lindsay - that the admins should be watching the wiki to see what can - and should - be absorbed. As an example, cubn has put a huge amount of content out for Illinois.

I have tried in a couple of instances to get this done, and have met with only limited success. But the path is definitely there....73s Mike

cubn

Database Admin
ka3jjz said:
It would be up to the database admins to absorb the freqs from the wiki. In fact, I will probably make a point in the next news release - and perhaps cc to Lindsay - that the admins should be watching the wiki to see what can - and should - be absorbed. As an example, cubn has put a huge amount of content out for Illinois.

I have tried in a couple of instances to get this done, and have met with only limited success. But the path is definitely there....73s Mike

I try not to put any new frequencies strictly on the wiki pages, but rather also submit them to the database as well. Sometimes I'll put unverified info on the Illinois wiki pages (ex. CloseCall picked up 154.570 near Menards, not sure if this is Menards or not) hoping that others can help verify it so I don't submit wrong info to the database. There's probably some freqs I've forgotten to submit to the database though (ex. the officials or race teams at a monster truck show -- not sure where I should submit that in the database).

Those of us who make the Wiki pages have a responsibility to make sure that we submit the freqs included on our wiki pages to the appropriate database page. Since we made the pages, we're the ones who are more familiar with what freqs we added to those pages versus what's in the database (I don't want to put all the pressure on the db admins to find these freqs). I'll take a look at the Champaign-Urbana and Bloomington-Normal pages to see if there's anything that needs to be submitted.

eorange

cubn, can you point out where the mil air freqs are located in the Illinois database? I looked but it wasn't obvious where they are.

In general, the "Statewide" sections of the database across states is inconsistent (not saying it's wrong, that's just the way it is). I'd like to see how the mil air freqs are organized in the database in Il. vs Ohio, which is -> http://www.radioreference.com/modules.php?name=RR&aid=4068

Also - what I hear in Northeast Ohio is different that what people would hear in Dayton, so I'd be hesitant to submit my freqs to the Ohio / Military database section. How does that work in the Il. database?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Mea culpa - I should have been more specific. Cubn has been putting a huge amount of public service and sports stuff in the Wiki - and, hopefully, the admins have been taking it all into the database on a regular basis.

As for the sports stuff (rather interesting, some of that) - while the organizations are probably too fluid - with shows across the country - some of the more regional based teams and groups could be added to the database. For example, football team frequencies,
training and sports facilities and so forth. So frequencies for the Ravens and Orioles would go to the Maryland page as well as M&T Bank Stadium and Camden Yards. Perhaps a new section for the database would be needed. That's an admin - and Lindsay - decision for sure, if it isn't already being done.

Erik, as far as Ohio (or other states) go, it's entirely possible that one could set up an article with subsections - say one for NE Ohio, one for Dayton area, ect. At least here in Maryland - and I would think in other states - there would be some overlap for the entire state if an aircraft unit had a route that took it through that area - so what you hear in NE Ohio might also be heard in Dayton if the flight route took it in that direction.

73s Mike

[edit] I see that some, but not all, of the sports facilities and teams are being pulled from the db using the wiki extensions. It's a start....

Last edited:

cubn

Database Admin
eorange said:
cubn, can you point out where the mil air freqs are located in the Illinois database? I looked but it wasn't obvious where they are.

In general, the "Statewide" sections of the database across states is inconsistent (not saying it's wrong, that's just the way it is). I'd like to see how the mil air freqs are organized in the database in Il. vs Ohio, which is -> http://www.radioreference.com/modules.php?name=RR&aid=4068

Also - what I hear in Northeast Ohio is different that what people would hear in Dayton, so I'd be hesitant to submit my freqs to the Ohio / Military database section. How does that work in the Il. database?

I haven't seen any page in IL like you referenced for Ohio. There are ARTCC frequency page links at the bottom of the Illinois main page (like all the states). For the Air Force Base and Air National Guard frequencies, they are listed under the county where they are located. That's all I've found in the Illinois database.

Two great sources for tons of MilAir freqs for Illinois are at the CARMA profiles page and the MILAIR database located at the CARMA Chicago Yahoo!Group.

cubn

Database Admin
Major Event wiki pages

I would like to see wiki pages devoted to major events (ex. Taste of Chicago, NY Macy’s Day Parade, NY Times Square New Years Eve) and other major events such as marathons, parades, sporting events, and festivals that draw thousands of people annually. These events are great scanning opportunities, but the variety of frequencies and systems used can be overwhelming, especially considering that many of the attendees are from outside the immediate listening area and may not be familiar with every frequency or talkgroup to monitor. Police, fire, medical, media, streets/traffic/sanitation, event coordination, etc. may be on a variety of different systems--all of which may already be in the database, but finding those frequencies or knowing which ones will be used is another story. Plus there may be city, county, and state police at the event all using different frequencies or talkgroups.

Here’s a good example of a webpage about the Rose Bowl Parade: http://www.freqofnature.com/index.php?m=Events&p=Rose Parade

I’ve done a similar thing for Champaign events. The frequencies are already in the database, but are organized and filtered to only include event specific radio info: http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Champaign-Urbana#Events

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Interesting idea....I started something like this for the Joint Services Open House that has occurred over the last couple of years at Andrews AFB - quite agree that this could be a good topic.

The Thanksgiving Day and Christmas parades are 2 huge events coming up that could present some possibilities. 73s Mike

eorange

ka3jjz said:
I started something like this for the Joint Services Open House
We should note the event should actually be interesting to listen to :D hi hi

I am going to take a stab at an Ohio / NE Ohio Mil Air freqs page in the Wiki, and use the Wiki extensions for existing database freqs. Any suggestions on what should link TO this page? Maybe from here?

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Category:Milcom

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Actually it is indexed FROM a category not just TO, but yes that would be fine - I would index it to the Milcom web pages and mailing lists article, where we have state by state web pages (and a few wiki articles) indexed. If we get enough of these, I will reorganize it so the state-state index is on a seperate article, but for now, this will do. Be sure to include a link to whatever ARTCC center(s) covers NE Ohio (as you can see we have built indexed links in the ARTCC article which tie directly to the database)

I have some work to do this weekend, perhaps Sunday I will sit down and think of a starter page for the Delmarva area. Remember, keep the number of freqs down - we don't want to flood a newcomer with 1000 frequencies all at once. The most common, and easiest, stuff to start off with is what I'm looking for here. Thanks! 73s Mike

cubn

Database Admin
What about wiki pages for airshows? We could include the public safety, show boss, flying teams, tower/ground, security, and whatever else would be related.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Yes, absolutely. We've had so many requests for airshow freqs in the various regional threads that it would be worthwhile. They can be stored in our US and Canadian regional wiki articles, and where appropriate, should be added to the database (particularly if the event is at an airport that we have no information on now...). Once the freqs are added to the db, then 'lock them down' by using the extensions for those that are common on every show at that site. Then build the article around the 'common' freqs, detailing those that are new. Not a bad idea at all Cubn.
I've started something like this in our Andrews AFB wiki article, as an example.

73s Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.