Slowness, database errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saint

Premium Subscriber
Slow

biglaz said:
Anyone else seeing very slow response times and database error messages?

Yes the same thing is happening to me I thought it was my computer, the radioreference home page loads very fast but in the forums going page to page is very slow.
Steve

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Folks,

It's been a comedy of errors this week - starting on Sunday, that includes:

1. A significant set of outages from Rackspace in Dallas due to data center outages.

http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/11/13/164253

2. Crawlers loving to crawl through the FCC database here. 3.0 architecture changes will fix this, in the mean time our "popularity" have caused google to even more significantly crawl some of our more "in-depth" areas which can include some very expensive queries which hammer the database. Not to mention the crawlers that are not friendly.

3. Paypal having update problems between their infrastructure, and ours, which has resulted in payment updates to us delayed as much as 6 hours.

Last edited:

Saint

Premium Subscriber
Problems

blantonl said:
Folks,

It's been a comedy of errors this week - starting on Sunday, that includes:

1. A significant set of outages from Rackspace in Dallas due to data center outages.

http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/11/13/164253

2. Crawlers loving to crawl through the FCC database here. 3.0 architecture changes will fix this, in the mean time our "popularity" have caused google to even more significantly crawl some of our more "in-depth" areas which can include some very expensive queries which hammer the database. Not to mention the crawlers that are not friendly.

3. Paypal having update problems between their infrastructure, and ours, which has resulted in payment updates to us delayed as much as 6 hours.

:) Thanks for the quick reply Blantonl, we now know what the problem is, I'll just be a little more patient and good luck with the fixes.
Steve

SCPD

QRT
Rackspace needs to properly feed those hamsters that power their data center.

Viper43

Unitrunker said:
Rackspace needs to properly feed those hamsters that power their data center.

Either that or put em on a diet so they speed up :)

V

bezking

It wasn't a lack of power, what it was is that the chillers have to take time to start up. The amount of time it would have taken to do this was enough time for everything to overheat. So, until everything was good, they turned everything off, which, as a professional network administrator, I think was the right thing to do.

Last edited:

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Oh yes you can.

That truck hitting the power line isn't my problem - that's rackspace's problem. It's their job to plan for contingencies.

These types of things happen all the time. The amount and length, and reason for the outages are unacceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.