Chattanooga / Hamilton County Rebanding

Status
Not open for further replies.

kf4lhp

Note that this also affects Catoosa County as well...

Applications are either pending or have been approved for rebanding of the Chattanooga / Hamilton County system.

In the simulcast zone (Lookout / Signal / White Oak / Sale Creek Mountains), these frequencies will be added to replace the 11 highest frequencies (857.7625, and all 858, 859, and 860 MHz frequencies):

On the East Brainerd / Brock Road site, these frequencies will replace the 866 / 867 / 868 MHz frequencies:

On the Catoosa County / Ringgold site, these frequencies will replace the 866 / 867 / 868 MHz frequencies:

After the system has been reconfigured to use these new frequencies, they would then file applications to delete the old frequencies off the licenses.

ButchGone

Re: Rebanding

Good info. I assume the voice channels of 856.2125, 856.4625, 857.2125 and 857.4625 will remain in the mix for a total of 15 channls for this system - one for control channel and 14 others for voice channels? Now I'm wondering if Uniden scanners will work this new scheme or if a new "channelization" plan will require Unidens new flash update that's now out? Same applies for the Brock Road and Ringgold sites. From what I understand, by contract between Chattanooga, Motorola and Nextel it calls for this rebanding to be completed by December 31. So a new control channel will probably pop up within the next two months and agencies will roll over to the "new" system - kind of like what happened when the system switched from SmartNet to Smart Zone in the summer of 2005. One other note: I wonder if a couple more agencies will get digi groups when they roll over since Chattanooga fire is in the process of installing digi radios in the rigs and stations. Hamilton Couny EMS got money approved for digi radios a few weeks back. We'll see!
BG..

hcpholder

Premium Subscriber
Will we have to make the "table changes" shown in the RadioShack forum for the Pro96 when these new frequencies are activated? Thanks.

beeeno

Will we have to make the "table changes" shown in the RadioShack forum for the Pro96 when these new frequencies are activated? Thanks.

The latest update from Don's website, I think makes this alot easier. I do not fully understand all of this rebanding, but this update, I think, does the table changes with a simple check box. (I hope this is how it works anyway) It is version 1.58 released on 9/12.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
I will stick this thread; however, please submit this information to the database after the changes take place, thanks.

suttles1972

Majority of Chattanooga fire apparatus and fire stations have been upgraded to the /\/\otorola XTL-2500 mobile radios. It remains unclear on when the transition will occur for city fire.

suttles1972

What's the purpose?

No sure of your meaning. But if you're referring to the system upgrade, it's with understanding that Motorola will not continue with warranties and equipment updates with the existing radios and infrastructure. In addition, a revamp of the 800 frequencies are to be implemented, based on deadline from the FCC. This is due to the Sprint-Nextel proposal for public safety to vacate from its existing location on the spectrum.
John Pless provided a wonderful article pertaining to the system and the direction that the local and state government is going with the system. As of now, Catoosa County, Ga. is the only jurisdiction and new addition, to a plan of a multi-county system, with Walker County and Dade County, Ga. to be added in the mere future. This system is suppose to connect to Knox County, giving the system, full coverage on the interstate.
As for the mixed mode digital radio transmission, it is unclear of its true purpose. But the textbook answer is that digital is suppose to be clean and crisp. And in many cases, this is so. But in my line of work, SCBA PASS devices may speak a different tune, during operation scenes of structure fire incidents. As the radio responds well to voice, voice transmissions may be compromised with the high pitched sounds of PASS devices. Since radios have become a tool equivalent to an pick head axe, this important tool may become useless to voice transmissions with high pitched noises, during an operations scene of a fire incident. Fire alarm systems and sirens are other factors to considered. Now my role here isn't to disregard the need for the upgrade of this universal radio system. In fact, I love the idea of building out and standardizing a radio system that everyone can use. As long as it works and doesn't put peoples lives in jeopardy. That's where my concerns are. But I hope this answers any of your concerns. The purpose is simply, keeping up with the demands of a growing government.

hcpholder

Premium Subscriber
A Lot Of Radio Testing (Grids!)

I keep steadly monitoring the new frequencies for any activity. The radio shop seems to really be busy with checking something, showing in "grids" or something. Anybody know whtsup?

ButchGone

RE: testing

Those are teams riding around the county and logging signal strength/intergrity. We're in the final phases of rebanding, which again by contract has to be completed by December 31.
BG..

richard4537312

Premium Subscriber
Pro96 Transition

Am I correct in assuming that Pro96 owners can make a "seamless" transition by simply checking the "800 MHz rebanded" option that Don provided under extended trunking tables in Version 1.58 of Win96, adding these new frequencies, and leaving everything else alone? In other words, if these changes were made, would the scanner work correctly both before and after the changeover?

beeeno

Am I correct in assuming that Pro96 owners can make a "seamless" transition by simply checking the "800 MHz rebanded" option that Don provided under extended trunking tables in Version 1.58 of Win96, adding these new frequencies, and leaving everything else alone? In other words, if these changes were made, would the scanner work correctly both before and after the changeover?

Worked fine for me. So Far.

Julian1

Rebanding FYI from Ga Forum

Catoosa County appears to have rebanded today. Control Channel now on 853.4125, with voice channels on 852.000, 851.900, 851.625 and 851.4125. This is just for the Ringgold site, the main Chattanooga system remains on it's original frequencies. Here's the turd-in-the-punchbowl - my 396 will no longer track the rebanded system. Apparently you have to re-program your Unidens with the latest firware update to make it work. Not sure about Radio Shack or GRE radios yet... probably have to reconfigure them too. Catoosa talkgroups on the main Chattanooga system still track fine, for now, but this main system will be rebanding in the near future too. Since it's not a NPSPAC system (866-868Mhz) I wonder if it will follow different channelization plan or will work with new control channel. We'll see!
BG..

FYI from the Georgia forum. Catoosa County, GA shares this system & operates P-25.

Status
Not open for further replies.