Smoky Mountains National Park

Status
Not open for further replies.

trumpetman

Database Admin
Working on my ASTRO Spectra codeplug now for my truck and this was a tremendous help. Had it saved since I found it a few months (years?) ago.

Still really curious how this system is setup, I feel like there are more sites based on all the frequencies in use. What frequencies can you confirm are in use and linked based on what you've heard from your location?

n4yek

What frequencies can you confirm

I cannot confirm Wachcha, Fry, or Barnett. I have never been in that area of the park since owning a digital scanner.
I can confirm Mt Sterling 172.500, Webb Mtn, Dome, Gatlinburg, Cove, but not Look Rock.

This is why I asked for help in making sure I have everything I can possibly get correct and confirmed.
Still really curious how this system is setup, I feel like there are more sites based on all the frequencies in use.
All repeaters are linked together in simulcast, basically what you hear on one repeater will be heard on them all.

Last edited:

trumpetman

Database Admin
Alright thanks for the confirmations. Pretty sure Wachcha & Fry are right, I was pulling them in without an antenna last time I was near there, but never heard site names.

Has anyone been able to confirm if 166.3500 is using 4C5 as the input as well?

Good job Danny, thanks for putting this together.

EZlistener

Premium Subscriber
Yes, I can confirm 166.350/4C5 is the input to the repeaters, except for those ID'd in the DB as "Parkwide." Don't know about these.

jfhtm350

What frequencies can you confirm are in use and linked based on what you've heard from your location?

First column is when I confirmed the signal is still there. I keep records of such stuff. Away means I recieved it away from my home and I dont keep track of stuff when Im crusing down the road. But that does mean I have recieved it at one point or another.

Away 167.15000 4C5 NAC FM GSMNP Parkwide
10/07/12 169.08750 4C5 NAC FM GSMNP WebbMtn
10/07/12 169.55000 4C5 NAC FM GSMNP ClngmnsDme
Away 169.72500 4C5 NAC FM GSMNP Wachcha
Away 170.38750 4C5 NAC FM GSMNP Fry Mtn
10/08/12 170.51250 4C5 NAC FM GSMNP Gatlinbrg
10/06/12 171.16250 4C5 NAC FM GSMNP CoveMtn
10/07/12 172.50000 4C5 NAC FM GSMNP MtSterling
10/07/12 172.52500 4C5 NAC FM GSMNP LookRock
Away 172.58750 4C5 NAC FM GSMNP BarnettMtn

All of those are simulcasted. Except maybe the Parkwide one, not sure, but I know the others are. I have them all programmed in one scanlist and when they say something the scanner usually stops on the weaker signal and I have to listen to a digital choppy signal. I believe I get a better signal from Clingmans Dome than I do Gatlinburg and Gatlinburg is closer to me.

Great Map Danny.

I know this is old but I did not think I would but I am getting a darn good signal down here in HW Hamblen on the old 1040... However, I am using a different ant than the stock rubber duck. :)

n4yek

I know this is old but I did not think I would but I am getting a darn good signal down here in HW Hamblen on the old 1040... However, I am using a different ant than the stock rubber duck. :)
Their repeater are on some of the highest mountain peaks in the eastern USA so they can travel some distance.

iamhere300

All of those are simulcasted. Except maybe the Parkwide one, not sure, but I know the others are. I have them all programmed in one scanlist and when they say something the scanner usually stops on the weaker signal and I have to listen to a digital choppy signal. I believe I get a better signal from Clingmans Dome than I do Gatlinburg and Gatlinburg is closer to me.

Great Map Danny.

On a conventional system like this, if multiple frequencies are keyed up with the same traffic, it is normally called multi cast. Simulcast would be the same frequency, multiple towers.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
On a conventional system like this, if multiple frequencies are keyed up with the same traffic, it is normally called multi cast. Simulcast would be the same frequency, multiple towers.

Correct, if it uses different freqs at each site, but is broadcasting same signal at same time it is Multi casting. If it is using all the same freqs and same broadcast it is simulcasting. And then you get multipath distortion issues on scanners and receivers NOT designed for it, especially in the digital world.

Status
Not open for further replies.