Programming the Smokies

Status
Not open for further replies.

nashscan

I'm a little confused on how to program the Smoky Mountains Park into my Uniden XT digitial scanner. What mode should I choose? Also, is Pigeon Forge PD the only other agency that is in the clear? Is there anything else to listen to in the area? I do have a 2 meter HAM radio I will probably bring also.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
The GSMNP uses an linked conventional P25 VHF repeater network. All the repeaters are P25 digital. As far as I know all the NAC's listed are current and correct. You should also load in the TVRCS, and the conventional THP stuff. Are you going to be travelling around the region, or just setting up a local listening post? If your anywhere near the BRP, they also run a linked conventional P25 VHF net.

Last edited by a moderator:

n4yek

I'm a little confused on how to program the Smoky Mountains Park into my Uniden XT digitial scanner. What mode should I choose? Also, is Pigeon Forge PD the only other agency that is in the clear? Is there anything else to listen to in the area? I do have a 2 meter HAM radio I will probably bring also.

As milf stated, the national park is all P25 and the NAC's listed are correct. As to programming them, they are all linked in a simulcast fashion. Basically what you hear on one frequency you will hear on all they others.
If you stay in the Pigeon Forge area, program Gatlinburg, Dome, Cove, Webb, and Look Rock site frequencies. This will take care of coverage while driving around in the area while on the Tennessee side.

Pigeon Forge Police are not encrypted so you can monitor them on the Pigeon Forge P25 trunk system.

You can monitor most Volunteer Fire departments on the LTR trunk system.

PM me with you e-mail address, I can send you .usd files for your scanner that you can use for the area

nashscan

Thanks for the advice. I programmed the GSMNP as conventional channels and my handheld Uniden worked great, and I was able to hear park rangers and I think maintenance.

I tried to program Pigeon Forge PD, but was unable to hear anything at all. I'll have to do some research & figure out what went wrong.

Back in Nashville,

Preston

n4yek

I'm getting PFPD on 770.33125 MHz with a NAC of 3C1 conventional. Trunking doesn't seem to work.

They are trunking, because I ONLY have the control channel programmed into my scanner, 396T, and it switches to a voice channel when they key up.
What scanner are you using? It has to be a programming error.

Currently the police are the only users so monitoring the voice channel in conventional mode will work, you won't miss anything. :)

Last edited:

jfhtm350

I'm getting PFPD on 770.33125 MHz with a NAC of 3C1 conventional. Trunking doesn't seem to work.

As N4YEK states, it is probably a programming error. Check to see if your scanner has the same bandplan that I posted above. It will not auto program a pro106/197.

codeplug

Disabled Veteran, US Army, RIP #Hobo Shoestring#
Pigeon Forge Public Safety:

There doesn't appear to be a licensed freq. on 770.33125 any more in Pigeon Forge.
That freq. was licensed on the old Special Temporary license / call sign (WQMP775) which expired in 2011.
The new license / call sign is (WQNM526)
ULS License - Trunked Public Safety 700 MHz License - WQNM526 - PIGEON FORGE, CITY OF

The licensed freq.'s for that site are: 769.80625 / 770.34375 / 771.40625.
If that freq. is being used by PFPD then they are using it without an FCC license.

Status
Not open for further replies.