Not hearing Jackson Public Safety (Motorola)

Status
Not open for further replies.

K4AOL

Premium Subscriber
Anyone know why I am not hearing Jackson Public Safety (Motorola) system? I see they have a second system coming up, but hear nothing on either one. Used to listen easily on handheld with stock antenna, now hear nothing with outdoor antenna?

ki4hyf

Premium Subscriber
Public Works, Animal Control and the Street Dept are all unencrypted. Police and Fire are ADP encrypted. No commercially available (AFAIK) scanner will decrypt their communications. However, it's not impossible to listen to them. Improbable or not likely may be more accurate, depending on several variables, but for all intents and purposes, it may just as well be impossible.

ki4gyw

Premium Subscriber
Yep

Traffic analysis & active tracking are still possible, No mac level encryption (AES-GCM).

SCPD

QRT
It really bites me when a agency spends a hunk of change on a great system then cuts corners such as ADP.

wxwarn285

I thought ADP would disqualify them for federal grants? since it is proprietary and goes against SAFECOM, besides its way less secure @ a whopping 40 bit key lol vs a 256 bit AES/DES key.

I know some nerds at MTSU that could break ADP in 1 to 2 hours lol

RayAir

While the name "ADP" maybe Motorola proprietary, the cipher itself is not. Both Harris and Relm offer 40 bit ARC4 encryption which works fine with Motorola radios using ADP.

Harris Encryption Lite = ADP = Relm RCE

ADP does what it is supposed to do, keep the scanners and interlopers out. It's not intended to thwart more technical means of cryptanalysis or to protect sensitive, life-critical information. Or to protect information of high value.

Even being a paltry 40 bit cipher, there are still over a trillion possible keys.

So even at this lower security level, any attempt at key recovery from encrypted over-the-air transmissions still would require knowledgeable technical personnel with certain tools to be successful.

Unless there was a leak or the key selection was awful the above requirements stop the 99.9% of the masses from carrying out such an attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.