maury/columbia tn nxdn system

Status
Not open for further replies.

n4anz

I have the BCD536HP. I would like to know if anyone could tell me why I'm not receiving all of the NXDN system. I know that Columbia TN is encrypted according to R&R but from looking at the database none of Maury County TN is encrypted. Am I doing something wrong when programming?

KevinC

Junior Radio Guru
Super Moderator
If what you are trying to receive is truly NXDN, then your issue is no Uniden scanner will receive NXDN (at this point in time at least).

n4anz

Not sure if its true NXDN or not I'm just going by what R&R database is showing I'm new to this digital scanning stuff

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Try programming it as analog conventional. If you hear an digital growling, and it wont pick up as P25, and you have the DMR upgrade, and it wont work on that... Then it is NXDN/NexEDGE or iDAS... If it is one of those, then you need the Whistler TRX series of scanners as ONLY they can do NXDN.

jimg

Premium Subscriber
Programmng Maury County

Try programming it as analog conventional. If you hear an digital growling, and it wont pick up as P25, and you have the DMR upgrade, and it wont work on that... Then it is NXDN/NexEDGE or iDAS... If it is one of those, then you need the Whistler TRX series of scanners as ONLY they can do NXDN.

I am trying to program the Maury County Sheriff radio system into my Whistler 1088. The RR database shows it is a NXDN system. I've never programmed an NXDN system. Is it "DMR"? Also, are there any other factors that I need to consider? Please advise and thanks in advance for your help.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
No NXDN is NOT DMR. It is an completely different digital format. As far as I know that 1088 will NOT do NXDN at all. Only the TRX 1, TRX 2, Uniden BCD436HP, BCD536HP or the new about to ship Uniden SDS100, and forthcoming TRX 100, TRX 200 can decode NXDN. Or a computer with a dongle running SDR and DSD+. Is the Sheriffs NXDN being used yet? If so we need updated on its status, and the RANs in use, and if they are encrypted like Colombia PD is.

Last edited by a moderator:

jimg

Premium Subscriber
No NXDN is NOT DMR. It is an completely different digital format. As far as I know that 1088 will NOT do NXDN at all. Only the TRX 1, TRX 2, Uniden BCD436HP, BCD536HP or the new about to ship Uniden SDS100, and forthcoming TRX 100, TRX 200 can decode NXDN. Or a computer with a dongle running SDR and DSD+. Is the Sheriffs NXDN being used yet? If so we need updated on its status, and the RANs in use, and if they are encrypted like Colombia PD is.

I don't know if they are using NXDN or if it is encrypted. I was just looking at the information in the RR database, which I thought showed the system was NXDN, but not encrypted. I was just wanting to program the system into my scanner so if I was traveling through the area, I could receive it. Looks like since my 1088 won't receive NXDN, I'll just wait until the new scanners come out. Thanks very much for your prompt reply!

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
SO has NXDN capable radios, and the licensing and was planning on implementing NXDN the last I heard. The rest of the County uses a wild mix of DMR, NXDN, and analog conventional. Thats why I asked hoping someone local would at least be able to monitor and confirm digital in use. That is simple enough lol. But to nab the RAN on each repeater, and TGs in use, and use of encryption requires a little deeper digging. :)

jimg

Premium Subscriber
SO has NXDN capable radios, and the licensing and was planning on implementing NXDN the last I heard. The rest of the County uses a wild mix of DMR, NXDN, and analog conventional. Thats why I asked hoping someone local would at least be able to monitor and confirm digital in use. That is simple enough lol. But to nab the RAN on each repeater, and TGs in use, and use of encryption requires a little deeper digging. :)

Just another question--do you know if Whistler has an upgrade that could be applied to the WS 1088 so it can receive NXDN?

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
Whistler is not going to support NXDN on any but the TRX series.

TRamrod38

Maury Co. Sheriff is using kenwood nexedge radios but are analog on 453.1875 and Columbia PD is on 453.925 and is digital but usually in the clear but can use enc. if needed.

jimg

Premium Subscriber
Maury Co. Sheriff is using kenwood nexedge radios but are analog on 453.1875 and Columbia PD is on 453.925 and is digital but usually in the clear but can use enc. if needed.

Thanks for the info! The scanner was able to pickup Maury County, but it was just a "growl" on the Columbia frequency--assume it was encrypted.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the info! The scanner was able to pickup Maury County, but it was just a "growl" on the Columbia frequency--assume it was encrypted.

No it just means as you were told.. The WS 1088 WILL NOT DECODE NXDN. Even if they were in the clear talking about a recipe for tuna salad, all you will get is a digital growl. Same on ANY NXDN freq. Your scanner can not monitor it. You can verify it is digital NXDN, but you can not hear any voice on it.

Only the following scanners will decode NXDN:
Whistler TRX 1 , TRX 2, FUTURE TRX 100 , TRX 200
Uniden BCD436HP, BCD536HP, SDS100. ***WITH PAID UPGRADE ***

jimg

Premium Subscriber
No it just means as you were told.. The WS 1088 WILL NOT DECODE NXDN. Even if they were in the clear talking about a recipe for tuna salad, all you will get is a digital growl. Same on ANY NXDN freq. Your scanner can not monitor it. You can verify it is digital NXDN, but you can not hear any voice on it.

Only the following scanners will decode NXDN:
Whistler TRX 1 , TRX 2, FUTURE TRX 100 , TRX 200
Uniden BCD436HP, BCD536HP, SDS100. ***WITH PAID UPGRADE ***

Thanks--I stand corrected.

Status
Not open for further replies.