Rutherford Using P25

Status
Not open for further replies.

KK4ELO

I drive into lascassas daily and monitor 460.200. So far still analog. I'll post back if it goes digital.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

bassmkenk2508

I have been monitoring the freqs licensed with p25 emissions. Caught one that is a mirror of their county fire analog transmissions. Submitted it already :)

Have been monitoring daily lately. Live in Murfreesboro.

Last edited:

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
From inside sources: Currently only RCFD is testing P25, patched to the analog. RCSO is eventually going to test once they get enough radios sometime in the future.

INDY72

I have been monitoring the freqs licensed with p25 emissions. Caught one that is a mirror of their county fire analog transmissions. Submitted it already :)

Have been monitoring daily lately. Live in Murfreesboro.

Could you log the NAC (tone) in use and submit it please? :)

Aspirin_Dispenser

Premium Subscriber
milf is correct. RCFD is the only department actively using P25. They’re trying to simulacast in analog, but as of yet, the analog simulcast sounds pretty terrible. RCSO has been transitioning to APX radios for the past year or two and will probably be next to go live. RCEMS, per usual, is way behind and will need to replace 90% of their radios before they can make the switch. They’re still using TK-2170s and TK-790s with only a handful of P25 capable TK-5220s, NX-5000s, and VP7000s floating around.

W4EMS

Premium Subscriber
Still curious why the county did not work together with Murfreesboro to go TACN.

Aspirin_Dispenser

Premium Subscriber
Still curious why the county did not work together with Murfreesboro to go TACN.

Politics mostly. At the administrative level, the relationship between the city and the county is about as bad as it's ever been. The county has pretty well taken a stance of independence when it comes to public safety systems and resources, not wanting to share or colocate anything. This isn't necessarily a new position for the county, however, coupled with tight fists, it has historically led to a lower quality of service in most of the systems they've implemented. All the while, officials get to stroke their egos and end users suffer.

INDY72

And the Good Ole Boys fill their own wallets with the money they saved the taxpayers.... Hoorah for penny pinching the Southern Way. Same old story over and over till lives get lost.

Aspirin_Dispenser

Premium Subscriber
And the Good Ole Boys fill their own wallets with the money they saved the taxpayers.... Hoorah for penny pinching the Southern Way. Same old story over and over till lives get lost.

You said it. The current FM conventional system has certainly improved over the last few years with the addition of voted receiver sites, but even the switch to simulcast was so poorly executed that it only marginally improved coverage in some rural communities at the expense of coverage in the city. In building coverage and talk out is still absolute trash and dead spots abound. The only saving grace is the unit repeaters which I'm almost certain will disappear once the P25 switch is made as they won't want to upgrade them. It's incredibly frustrating. My only hope was that the switch to digital would be done on TACN, Metro, or Murfreesboro's system and facilitate a leap into the 21st century with reliable radios. But that's not gonna happen and a P25 conventional system on the current infrastructure won't improve things much.

Aspirin_Dispenser

Premium Subscriber
A couple of updates on the future of Rutherford County’s radio systems:

Under the direction of the new county mayor and the mayor of Murfreesboro, a committee of public saftey officials from the county and the cities of Murfreesboro, Smyrna, La Vergne, and Eagleville has been established to determine the future of EMS throughout the county. Also under the purview of this committee is the communications systems utilized by city and county fire and EMS agencies. The county officials in the committee have reconsidered their decision not to join the Murfreesboro TRS and will be further exploring plans to transition RCFD and RCEMS to this system.

Additionally, the committee will be developing a plan to establish a centralized dispatch for all agencies utilizing murfreesboro’s new facilities and communications system. Currently, it is unclear where RCSO stands in all of this. Furthermore, it is unlikly you will see any further development of a conventional P25 system in the near future.

On a related note, could someone tell me where the license info that was originally posted here came from? The license currently on file at the FCC only has six frequencies (3 pairs) licensed for P25, one ops channel at RCSO, one for RCFD dispatch, and one for RCEMA.

Aspirin_Dispenser

Premium Subscriber
Here’s the ULS listing for that callsigb as linked to from the RR page you provided: ULS License - Public Safety Pool, Conventional License - WQQP235 - RUTHERFORD, COUNTY OF - Frequencies Summary

Best I can tell, most of those frequencies have never been licensed for P25 Phase 1 voice. Looks like emmisons designators were added to WQQP235 for RCFD P25 on 01/18/18 and emissions designators for RCSO “OPS 2” was added on 03/15/18. Looking at the other active licenses owned by Rutherford County, the only other frequencies that have been licensed for P25 are RCSO “OPS 3”, RCSO primary dispatch, and a few other UHF pairs that aren’t listed in the database (presumedly for use by RCSO) under the WFS750 callsign. Everything else is still licensed for norrow band analog FM voice.

The RR listing for WQQP235 lists every frequency on that license as having emissions designators for both narrow-band FM and P25 Phase I voice, which is not correct when cross checked against the ULS database. There are no modifications to any license that would indicate the current RR representation of WQQP235 was ever correct, or that any of those frequencies were ever licensed as such under any other call sign.

INDY72

That an data link glitch of some kind that does not matter in any way. We only put the actual usage in the DB as submitted by you guys or verified by one of us admins.

Personally, I will be very happy if they all move off the conventional to TACN and the Murf TRS... Currently it Analog, P25, DMR mixed with Smyrna on TACN, Lavergne on Metro (which is supposed to be becoming that new wide area beast like any day now, then in couple of years part of TACN), and the new Murf system......

Tocnon

Not sure if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but I just discovered Rutherford County Sheriff is simulcasting dispatch (460.200 FMN) on 460.250 P25 Phase 1. The freq database currently has that freq marked as FMN.

Aspirin_Dispenser

Premium Subscriber
I knew they had installed a dual mode repeater on the OPS 2 frequency but was unaware of channel 1 being simulcasted in p25 on OPS 3. I just took a look and they have a pending modification to WFS750 that will license the OPS 3 frequency for p25 phase 1 emmissions. There’s also 3 other frequency pairs that are being applied for with p25 emissions that are, as of yet, unidentified in the database.

Status
Not open for further replies.