Clean Up/housekeeping

Status
Not open for further replies.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
I am going through systems, and making them more understandable, editing out things that are not fitting our rules etc... And trying to make more use of the expanded Alpha Tag space we use now. A lot of the systems in the DB have not really had a big slap of love in a while, and I am going to get as much done as I can I have the time on my hands. SO please do not go cleanin out them shotguns, and knoosing up them ropes because you see so much changing. Stay calm, and have fun doing a little resetting on your programming software... Everyone needs to redo things every now and then. :cool:

HogDriver

Premium Subscriber
Thank you! I hope your including the town name in the description! Being able to quickly look down at the radio while driving to see who’s talking is an awesome thing! I have created my own favorite lists for states I frequent the most just so I can add the town names or counties, as applicable, to things like “Fire Dispatch” and “Sheriff”, so now it reads things like “Bethany Fire Dispatch” and “Cleveland Co Sheriff.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hotel Walkie Talkies

I am going through systems, and making them more understandable, editing out things that are not fitting our rules etc... And trying to make more use of the expanded Alpha Tag space we use now. A lot of the systems in the DB have not really had a big slap of love in a while, and I am going to get as much done as I can I have the time on my hands. SO please do not go cleanin out them shotguns, and knoosing up them ropes because you see so much changing. Stay calm, and have fun doing a little resetting on your programming software... Everyone needs to redo things every now and then. :cool:

426.465 is what the local hotel housekeeping use to talk to each other at the Super Duper 4 over here. Some guests just leave quite a mess find interesting things left behind :D

W4EMS

Premium Subscriber
Agree with HogDriver, having the town or county (as appropriate) name in the descriptor would be a nice enhancement.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
Thank you! I hope your including the town name in the description! Being able to quickly look down at the radio while driving to see who’s talking is an awesome thing! I have created my own favorite lists for states I frequent the most just so I can add the town names or counties, as applicable, to things like “Fire Dispatch” and “Sheriff”, so now it reads things like “Bethany Fire Dispatch” and “Cleveland Co Sheriff.”

NO against the rules . We DO NOT DUPLICATE. The talkgroup grouping, or municipal/county/state grouping is NOT DUPLICATED in the description. Sorry.
It is basically just wasting space to say: Townsville in the Group Heading, and again say Townsville Fire and Townsville Police in a group that is already labeled as Townsville. Not to mention, almost all of the newer scanners have enough space to put a pretty good Alpha Tag, and the NEWEST use multi layer and include the Grouping Header, AND Description! On the older scanners, sorry but you have to do your own editing to fit the 10 to 12 character limits. We moved our DB settings to the 16 character limit used in most of the newer systems.

For Example, the BCDX36HP and TRX series display more than we used to ever think a scanner display would show. The BCDX96T/XT's also have very good display areas that show FAR more than just the basic Alpha Tags, as do the WS Series of Whistlers.... And the Programming software capabilities allow for ENDLESS VARIATIONS of how you can say what you want it to say!

Last edited by a moderator:

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
6.1.4.2 FREQUENCY AND TALKGROUP DESCRIPTIONS
Talkgroup and frequency descriptions shall be kept short and informative (50 characters or less) while avoiding
exact duplication with other fields where possible. Channel numbers should be included when known. For
example:
• Where an alpha tag states “PD DISPATCH 1” use “Police Dispatch 1” in the Description.
• Common operating channels shall be shown as “Countywide Common 1” or “Law Interop 1” rather than
just “Countywide Common” or “Law Interop” in the Description field.
• Category or Subcategory headings or names will not be shown or duplicated in the Description field

Though even I have issues with the Countywide Common 1 thing when an agency has ONLY 1 of these frequencies or TG. ;)

HogDriver

Premium Subscriber
Well maybe that’s a rule that should change since I’m sure it was written in the days of little or no alpha-numeric character displays.
Is it not duplicated in the “Alpha display” portion already? Now that we have scanners with larger displays, more info can be included.

I just know I spent countless hours going through my entire database for my state adding all that and it wasn’t fun! And that was just for Sheriff, Police and Fire in each town and county!

Last edited:

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
"Well maybe that’s a rule that should change since I’m sure it was written in the days of little or no alpha-numeric character displays.
Is it not duplicated in the “Alpha display” portion already? Now that we have scanners with larger displays, more info can be included.

I just know I spent countless hours going through my entire database for my state adding all that and it wasn’t fun! And that was just for Sheriff, Police and Fire in each town and county!"
@HogDriver

Then you will have to take that up with Tom Swisher, and suggest a change, that would effect the entire database, as well as causing ripples with all the folks that wrote the software for the various scanner companies and so on that every change we implement ripples out to touch. We primarily set up this DB for the folks out there all over the USA and worldwide to make it as easy and simple to find and use data for scanners. Its taken about fifteen years to get this far, and we constantly look at ways to make it better. But to make a deep system change takes a lot of work, and the first step is convincing the top level admin staff its a change that is worth it. Then the rest of us get a chance for input... And all of this has to take ALL of the site users into account. And yes, at the bottom of that list is the Scanner Designers, and Scanner Software guys, who to make the scanners easier to use functionally for all of us, have developed the OSes of the scanners to use OUR DB!

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
MILF if I send you the Correct Info For my City and County will that help you with Obion County.
Someone posted frequencies to radio links that were never used BY NAME OR FREQUENCY.

YES! Please submit the data, and I will fit it in as our rules allow... :) We ALWAYS try to use the OFFICIAL names and usage where we can!

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
TY I think I have it all Fixed for the conventional... Will take a look at the TRS tonight... Any word on when they will Upgrade to P25 or Convert to TACN?

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
Speaking of: Still wondering why Weakly Co, or the others never opted to push ahead with this and make it a true regional system. It could even have grown to become a regional core for TACN. Was it politics as usual?

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
That would be a good guess UTM has a fleet and radios given to them and they do not / use it. They stick to the DMR from their long time radio shop. Weakley County deals with a local Kenwood shop and just bought a few years back a multi site analog voter system. The rumor I hear is Henry County is buying a 6 or 7 site DMR Trunking system for all county agencies.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
Will do more later tonight, and over next few days. Keep submitting corrections and new info guys. Its the ONLY way we can get things done!

NOTE: As I go through, I am also trying to fix the GPS coordinates, system location, and range settings. Looks like a few got missed on the original pass through when we initiated the new format. Obion should now be properly workable in the newer scanners, as should the other Counties I have retouched thus far!

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
Primary TRS, Conventional mainly backup. There may be a couple of agencies multicasting to both.

Status
Not open for further replies.