Lenoir City Fire Department 800 MHz Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
E-911 dispatch tried raising them for info on a lift assist call at the sunset hills apartments which the building is formed out of thick brick and stone. After 3 attempts they switched over to talk to dispatch on their UHF dispatch frequency.

N2AL

Unfortunately that is not a new issue. This has occurred previously. Today state agencies also had issues with radio communications in Loudon County. It may have been related to the Lenoir City TACN site, as it services the locations which were affected today.

SCPD

QRT
Unfortunately that is not a new issue. This has occurred previously. Today state agencies also had issues with radio communications in Loudon County. It may have been related to the Lenoir City TACN site, as it services the locations which were affected today.

I am pretty sure Some of the Issues is because they are using out of date xts 2500 radios.

N2AL

I am pretty sure Some of the Issues is because they are using out of date xts 2500 radios.

Although I cannot speak for other users, I can guarantee that wasn’t the case with me today. Our state vehicles have Motorola APX 7500’s. Outdated radios can be a compatibility issue, but the 7500 usually works like a charm.

I do know that when Motorola designed the TACN system, it was built for 95% coverage with Mobile radios, not Portable radios. Maybe this is part of the issue. I’ve saw portable radios not work at all, where mobile radios do. As we both know, 50 watts of power reaches the repeater much easier than 5 watts of power, especially with obstacles in the radio path.

SCPD

QRT
N2AL that is some of the reason they switch over to their UHF frequency when they have a structure fire, they don't want to risk their radios bonking out when they are fighting the fire on the interior.

W4EMS

Premium Subscriber
Do they have mobile repeater capability? Not so good on fireground but otherwise great tool for using portables on scene.

N2AL

N2AL that is some of the reason they switch over to their UHF frequency when they have a structure fire, they don't want to risk their radios bonking out when they are fighting the fire on the interior.

That makes sense. Best to be safe.

Do they have mobile repeater capability? Not so good on fireground but otherwise great tool for using portables on scene.

One would hope the system was built to not have to use a mobile repeater. But great questioning if they have the mobile repeater capabilities.

Aspirin_Dispenser

Premium Subscriber
One would hope the system was built to not have to use a mobile repeater. But great questioning if they have the mobile repeater capabilities.

As another user mentioned,TACN was, unfortunately, built to provide coverage across the state on the 800 MHz band to 35 watt mobiles. There are a lot of areas that 3-5 watt portables do not work. I can only assume the decision to build out for mobile coverage and not portable coverage was fiscal. It would be extremely costly to provide portable coverage across the state.

Most local agencies that join the system add additional sites to improve portable covereage. I’m not sure how much access other agencies have to these sites or if they are able to use them at all; perhaps someone better acquainted with the TACN system can chime in. The agency the would experience the biggest impact of the lack of portable coverage would be THP. The only way they would be able to mitigate this would be to either implement mobile repeaters or utilize the sites added by local agencies.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.

MSWIN also was designed for mobile coverage, as are pretty much all Statewide systems. But knowing this, MEMA, MDOT, and MHP did indeed add vehicular repeaters to the mix, just like they had when they were on VHF. I would assume at least THP would have done the same if they were wise. As for local users adding them.... That you have to talk to the Communications Directors (Radio Guy) for each agency as its not standard issue. Its looking like they will need to add at least an mini site to fill in if not a full on site.

N2AL

Can anybody point to an actual document that supports the assertion TACN is built based on mobile subscribers and not portable?

I have saw the document with my eyes. Although I do not have a copy of it, I can state it does exist.

MSWIN also was designed for mobile coverage, as are pretty much all Statewide systems. But knowing this, MEMA, MDOT, and MHP did indeed add vehicular repeaters to the mix, just like they had when they were on VHF. I would assume at least THP would have done the same if they were wise. As for local users adding them.... That you have to talk to the Communications Directors (Radio Guy) for each agency as its not standard issue. Its looking like they will need to add at least an mini site to fill in if not a full on site.

THP does have a digital vehicle repeater system, DVRS for short. Although it is not used daily, it is used when portable communications in unfavorable terrain occurs.

Status
Not open for further replies.