RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog
 

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Tennessee Radio Discussion Forum


Tennessee Radio Discussion Forum - Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Tennessee.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 10-13-2018, 2:15 PM
Member
   
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 71
Default Lenoir City Fire Department 800 MHz Issues

E-911 dispatch tried raising them for info on a lift assist call at the sunset hills apartments which the building is formed out of thick brick and stone. After 3 attempts they switched over to talk to dispatch on their UHF dispatch frequency.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 10-13-2018, 9:50 PM
N2AL's Avatar
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 382
Default

Unfortunately that is not a new issue. This has occurred previously. Today state agencies also had issues with radio communications in Loudon County. It may have been related to the Lenoir City TACN site, as it services the locations which were affected today.
__________________
Andrew | N2AL
http://n2al.us
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 10-13-2018, 9:58 PM
Member
   
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 71
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2AL View Post
Unfortunately that is not a new issue. This has occurred previously. Today state agencies also had issues with radio communications in Loudon County. It may have been related to the Lenoir City TACN site, as it services the locations which were affected today.
I am pretty sure Some of the Issues is because they are using out of date xts 2500 radios.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 10-13-2018, 10:02 PM
N2AL's Avatar
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 382
Default Lenoir City Fire Department 800 MHz Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by windows1268 View Post
I am pretty sure Some of the Issues is because they are using out of date xts 2500 radios.


Although I cannot speak for other users, I can guarantee that wasnít the case with me today. Our state vehicles have Motorola APX 7500ís. Outdated radios can be a compatibility issue, but the 7500 usually works like a charm.

I do know that when Motorola designed the TACN system, it was built for 95% coverage with Mobile radios, not Portable radios. Maybe this is part of the issue. Iíve saw portable radios not work at all, where mobile radios do. As we both know, 50 watts of power reaches the repeater much easier than 5 watts of power, especially with obstacles in the radio path.
__________________
Andrew | N2AL
http://n2al.us
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 10-14-2018, 12:43 AM
Member
   
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 71
Default

N2AL that is some of the reason they switch over to their UHF frequency when they have a structure fire, they don't want to risk their radios bonking out when they are fighting the fire on the interior.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 10-14-2018, 10:02 AM
W4EMS's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Middle Tennessee
Posts: 562
Default

Do they have mobile repeater capability? Not so good on fireground but otherwise great tool for using portables on scene.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 10-14-2018, 6:26 PM
N2AL's Avatar
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 382
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by windows1268 View Post
N2AL that is some of the reason they switch over to their UHF frequency when they have a structure fire, they don't want to risk their radios bonking out when they are fighting the fire on the interior.

That makes sense. Best to be safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4EMS View Post
Do they have mobile repeater capability? Not so good on fireground but otherwise great tool for using portables on scene.

One would hope the system was built to not have to use a mobile repeater. But great questioning if they have the mobile repeater capabilities.
__________________
Andrew | N2AL
http://n2al.us
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 10-17-2018, 2:55 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: ,Middle Tennessee
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2AL View Post
One would hope the system was built to not have to use a mobile repeater. But great questioning if they have the mobile repeater capabilities.
As another user mentioned,TACN was, unfortunately, built to provide coverage across the state on the 800 MHz band to 35 watt mobiles. There are a lot of areas that 3-5 watt portables do not work. I can only assume the decision to build out for mobile coverage and not portable coverage was fiscal. It would be extremely costly to provide portable coverage across the state.

Most local agencies that join the system add additional sites to improve portable covereage. Iím not sure how much access other agencies have to these sites or if they are able to use them at all; perhaps someone better acquainted with the TACN system can chime in. The agency the would experience the biggest impact of the lack of portable coverage would be THP. The only way they would be able to mitigate this would be to either implement mobile repeaters or utilize the sites added by local agencies.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 10-18-2018, 2:59 AM
Member
   
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Knox / Roane / Loudon counties, Tennessee
Posts: 83
Default

Can anybody point to an actual document that supports the assertion TACN is built based on mobile subscribers and not portable?
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 10-18-2018, 10:58 AM
milf's Avatar
Careful, I CAN hear you!
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 12,415
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2AL View Post
One would hope the system was built to not have to use a mobile repeater. But great questioning if they have the mobile repeater capabilities.
MSWIN also was designed for mobile coverage, as are pretty much all Statewide systems. But knowing this, MEMA, MDOT, and MHP did indeed add vehicular repeaters to the mix, just like they had when they were on VHF. I would assume at least THP would have done the same if they were wise. As for local users adding them.... That you have to talk to the Communications Directors (Radio Guy) for each agency as its not standard issue. Its looking like they will need to add at least an mini site to fill in if not a full on site.
__________________
Admin for AR, IN, LA, MS, and TN
Radio Shack: PRO-92, PRO-92B, PRO-96
Uniden: BCD396XT, BCD436HP+DMR & NXDN
Motorola: APX6000XE
Baofeng: RD-5R
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 10-20-2018, 4:29 PM
N2AL's Avatar
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 382
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfacemount View Post
Can anybody point to an actual document that supports the assertion TACN is built based on mobile subscribers and not portable?

I have saw the document with my eyes. Although I do not have a copy of it, I can state it does exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milf View Post
MSWIN also was designed for mobile coverage, as are pretty much all Statewide systems. But knowing this, MEMA, MDOT, and MHP did indeed add vehicular repeaters to the mix, just like they had when they were on VHF. I would assume at least THP would have done the same if they were wise. As for local users adding them.... That you have to talk to the Communications Directors (Radio Guy) for each agency as its not standard issue. Its looking like they will need to add at least an mini site to fill in if not a full on site.

THP does have a digital vehicle repeater system, DVRS for short. Although it is not used daily, it is used when portable communications in unfavorable terrain occurs.
__________________
Andrew | N2AL
http://n2al.us
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 8:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All information here is Copyright 2012 by RadioReference.com LLC and Lindsay C. Blanton III.Ad Management by RedTyger
Copyright 2015 by RadioReference.com LLC Privacy Policy  |  Terms and Conditions