Williamson Co E!

Status
Not open for further replies.

APTN

Encryption

I wonder what brought this on ? I know Davidson County is big on encryption. I wonder if it encouraged everyone else joining the regional system to encrypt ?

evan

Database Admin
I think Davidson County has implemented encryption in a very reasonable way. Dispatch channels are all in the clear and only talk-around and tactical channels are encrypted. This seems like the way to go to balance security with some public access. I wish Williamson would do the same.

nashscan

I think Davidson County has implemented encryption in a very reasonable way. Dispatch channels are all in the clear and only talk-around and tactical channels are encrypted. This seems like the way to go to balance security with some public access. I wish Williamson would do the same.

I feel the same way. We don't even have access to the tactical channels at dispatch. It would be fun to listen to, but not everyone out there is a good natured scanner buff, so I get it.

W4EMS

Premium Subscriber
So nashscan, if they are on tactical and you need to pass traffic to them how does that work?

nashscan

So nashscan, if they are on tactical and you need to pass traffic to them how does that work?

Usually, when they are on a tactical channel, they are doing some kind of undercover operation, or the bomb squad is clearing an event venue downtown or something. They usually don't need a dispatcher in those types of situations, but if they do, they'll switch back to a patrol radio or countywide. It's kind of irksome, because it can be an officer safety issue in the rare instance we do need to pass something along to them, but most of the time, they are happy to be left alone.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Usually, when they are on a tactical channel, they are doing some kind of undercover operation, or the bomb squad is clearing an event venue downtown or something. They usually don't need a dispatcher in those types of situations, but if they do, they'll switch back to a patrol radio or countywide. It's kind of irksome, because it can be an officer safety issue in the rare instance we do need to pass something along to them, but most of the time, they are happy to be left alone.

This would be fatal in a pursuit or shootout. Where do you send normal traffic during an pursuit or such? Tac? Then how tf do you dispatch the routine calls on Tac? And if you send the pursuit or such to Tac, how in hades is it monitored and so forth? And here I thought the way IMPD does it was whacked.

nashscan

This would be fatal in a pursuit or shootout. Where do you send normal traffic during an pursuit or such? Tac? Then how tf do you dispatch the routine calls on Tac? And if you send the pursuit or such to Tac, how in hades is it monitored and so forth? And here I thought the way IMPD does it was whacked.

They don't typically get into pursuits on tac channels, because most traffic stops are done over the air on the regular patrol channels, but I suppose it could happen. Like I said before, it does have the potential to become an officer safety issue if they are working without a dispatcher. If we get a large event, such as a pursuit, barricaded suspect, officer involved shooting, etc. We keep that traffic and that traffic only on the patrol channel that it started on, and the regular day to day business and calls for service for that sector will go to a command bank channel that we do have full access to. Once everything gets sorted out, we will have everyone switch back to the main patrol channel.

APTN

They don't typically get into pursuits on tac channels, because most traffic stops are done over the air on the regular patrol channels, but I suppose it could happen. Like I said before, it does have the potential to become an officer safety issue if they are working without a dispatcher. If we get a large event, such as a pursuit, barricaded suspect, officer involved shooting, etc. We keep that traffic and that traffic only on the patrol channel that it started on, and the regular day to day business and calls for service for that sector will go to a command bank channel that we do have full access to. Once everything gets sorted out, we will have everyone switch back to the main patrol channel.

That makes some sense. What happens if a event crosses Sector Boundaries ? Patch them together ? Do you go to Countywide ?

zachgallop

Is is only county agencies? Is Brentwood, Fairview, and Nolensville changing over as well? Was in Brentwood two weeks ago for a day & half.

nashscan

That makes some sense. What happens if a event crosses Sector Boundaries ? Patch them together ? Do you go to Countywide ?

ALWAYS stays on the channel it started on. If officers from other sectors help, they must switch to the channel it started on and stay there until they check 10-8. It's like herding children sometimes, lol.

W4EMS

Premium Subscriber
It's like herding children sometimes, lol
Some things never change. That is why a good, professional dispatcher is worth more than the general public will ever know.

kg4ere

Premium Subscriber
Fairview, Nolensville, Spring Hill, Brentwood, Williamson County, Franklin will all be part of the new system and encrypted. As an leo working in Williamson Co the full time encryption is frustrating for me. I use a scanner now to monitor what is going on around me, now I will not have that option. I think it is a dumb move, but they didn't ask me! I am supposed to be getting my new mobile and portable radios next month.

I am also a volunteer ff and we are in sticker shock right now over the costs to migrate to the new system. There is supposed to be some type of app to allow us to talk over the new system....we shall see.

Last edited:

nashscan

Fairview, Nolensville, Spring Hill, Brentwood, Williamson County, Franklin will all be part of the new system and encrypted. As an leo working in Williamson Co the full time encryption is frustrating for me. I use a scanner now to monitor what is going on around me, now I will not have that option. I think it is a dumb move, but they didn't ask me! I am supposed to be getting my new mobile and portable radios next month.

I am also a volunteer ff and we are in sticker shock right now over the costs to migrate to the new system. There is supposed to be some type of app to allow us to talk over the new system....we shall see.

Well there goes my scanning hobby.

APTN

Channels

ALWAYS stays on the channel it started on. If officers from other sectors help, they must switch to the channel it started on and stay there until they check 10-8. It's like herding children sometimes, lol.

Thanks for the clarification. While I didn't hear the radio traffic, I recall a pursuit that made the news a few years ago. It started in South sector, crossed into Hermitage sector , returned to South sector and ended with an apprehension. By the end of the events, South, Hermitage, & Air Support units had all participated.

APTN

1. I wish more government officials would see the benefits of compromise (Encrypt some communications but not everything) such as yourself.

2. I didn't know Spring Hill was joining. It will be beneficial for Williamson County interoperability, but I would think Maury County interoperability would also be important for Spring Hill.

kg4ere

Premium Subscriber
1. I wish more government officials would see the benefits of compromise (Encrypt some communications but not everything) such as yourself.

2. I didn't know Spring Hill was joining. It will be beneficial for Williamson County interoperability, but I would think Maury County interoperability would also be important for Spring Hill.

Starting 1-1-19 Spring Hill will be transferring all PSAP and dispatching responsibilities to Williamson County. It is frustrating that in the name of "interoperability" we are becoming less interoperable.

Status
Not open for further replies.