Concho Valley Council of Governments TRS

Status
Not open for further replies.

KE5PL

The CVCOG is taking a different track than the PBRPC. Their sites will operate in site trunking until funding is available for backhaul to a switch. The waitress at the donut shops thinks the host switch will eventually be the GATTRS switch in Austin. The initial plan was for the CVCOG to be a part of the PBRPC TRS, but theOdessa switch (which hosts the PBRPC TRS) has limited capacity (ARC4000).

nd5y

Update 03/2014

According to FCC Part 22 build out notification this system should be on the air now.

The FCC application attachments for the Part 22 licenses show lat/lon coordinates for 8 locations. I haven't checked to see if they are the same locations as the Part 90 licenses.

twobytwo

I recently went to San Angelo (westside) and had COG freqs in my scanner .I received some transmissions on 155.9025 and this freq is listed in Mertzon. I did not hear any voice or data transmission, it was like a dead carrier... Don't know if it is a protocol that my PSR 500 will not pickup. I did get a NAC of 3EO and it did show up as P25.Dont if this helps but it must be in use. BTW I did not get any hits on the other freqs.

nd5y

If you ever go back there search the 138-150 band and for P25 control channels.
Goodfellow AFB is supposed to have a new VHF P25 trunked system and it isn't in the database.

KG5HHS

Premium Subscriber
I recently received word that this project is dead in the water until CVCOG gets funding. No one is officially using the system, some counties have been given radios with this system programmed in it to "test". I was able to read a Motorola XTL2500 with the system in it. The talk group ID is the county code.

KG5HHS

Premium Subscriber
I've been monitoring this system when I go to Crockett County. Both the Taylor Box and Lancaster sites are being used (minimally). While in Big Lake (Reagan County) I heard one of the deputies say "Go to trunking". I've looked at the database and noticed only one frequency for the Reagan County Site (009). How is this possible? or am I missing something?

Concho Valley Council of Governments Trunking System, Various, Texas - Scanner Frequencies

KG5HHS

Premium Subscriber
There might be other frequencies in use that nobody has submitted.

Thanks for the reply. I just so happen to have purchased a Uniden BCD436HP and will be taking it with me while I'm Reagan County for a few day here shortly. I only have 151.2050 programmed in for that site. Will this be enough to be able to hear any traffic on this system?

nd5y

I only have 151.2050 programmed in for that site. Will this be enough to be able to hear any traffic on this system?
Only if it's the control channel.

If the control channel rotates to another frequency that isn't in the database then you won't be able to receive the system unless you are capable of finding the new control channel yourself and programming you scanner.

You can't always rely on the database, especially in places like SW TX.

KG5HHS

Premium Subscriber
Very odd! I plugged in 151.2050 while in reagan county, and heard nothing. Scanned 148-174mhz and didn't hear one control channel. The only control channels I came across were from the AEP EDACS 800mhz system. And a 460mhz system (Texas Communications 5 channel UHF system).

Question 1: how does one know what type of troubled radio system it is by only knowing the frequencies and the data on the FCC ULS Database? I have the frequencies for the Texas comm system but don't know what type of trucked system it is. (EDACS, LTR, Motorola)

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Miss My PSR 500

In the past, when I've successfully found the various talk groups for a new radio system, I have connected my PSR 500 to the computer and used Pro96.com to analyze the information. However, I've not mastered the same method with my 436HP.

Some, have talked about using a dongle setup to analyze systems, particularly for DMR. However, I have not utilized said method.

At present, I have the Concho Valley Council of Governments loaded into my 436HP as a P25 trunking system with the ID search engaged. Since there are already talk groups listed, I hope to find a stray talk group when traveling through the area.

Good luck to you on figuring this out.

nd5y

Question 1: how does one know what type of troubled radio system it is by only knowing the frequencies and the data on the FCC ULS Database?
The best way to tell the type of trunked system is by listening to the control channel. The different trunking protocols have different sounding control channels. This is a skill that you have to learn yourself. I can't teach you how to do it in a forum post. EDACS wide, EDACS narrow, Motorola type II, Motorola SmartZone, and DMR all sound different. You can even tell a Harris from Motorola P25 system because they sound different.

Sometimes FCC license data because can be wrong. The radio service codes, station class codes and emission designators can sometimes help you.

SCPD

QRT
how does one know what type of troubled radio system it is by only knowing the frequencies and the data on the FCC ULS Database?
Unitrunker will automatically identify APCO P25, EDACS48, EDACS96, Motorola and MPT1327 trunking.

I think DSD+ can identity P25 plus several DMR protocols.

KE5PL

With respect to the Part 22s licensed to the CVCOG, those frequencies are good for BEA129, which does NOT include Reagan and Crockett counties. Those counties are in BEA135, of which the PBRPC has 5 pairs licensed. Each frequency is 60khz wide, so we get "3-fer-1" when narrowbanding. By MOU, the PBRPC "gave" some Part 22s to CVCOG. You'll likely find the additional pairs among those 5 Part 22s licensed to the PBRPC. I have that list somewhere, but because these sites were never connected to a switch, I wouldn't think that there would be much activity. As these sites were never connected, I think each CVCOG site had a unique SYSID. But they are all P25.

KG5HHS

Premium Subscriber
With respect to the Part 22s licensed to the CVCOG, those frequencies are good for BEA129, which does NOT include Reagan and Crockett counties. Those counties are in BEA135, of which the PBRPC has 5 pairs licensed. Each frequency is 60khz wide, so we get "3-fer-1" when narrowbanding. By MOU, the PBRPC "gave" some Part 22s to CVCOG. You'll likely find the additional pairs among those 5 Part 22s licensed to the PBRPC. I have that list somewhere, but because these sites were never connected to a switch, I wouldn't think that there would be much activity. As these sites were never connected, I think each CVCOG site had a unique SYSID. But they are all P25.

I've been able to verify and have heard very little traffic in crockett. Both on the Lancaster and Taylor box sites. The one I can't seem to figure out is in reagan. I only see one frequency listed. As mentioned above, I have scanned 148-174 with my BCD436hp and didn't find one control channel.

nd5y

This morning (4/9/17) there is a tropo opening to the southwest of Wichita Falls.

I'm getting a P25 control channel from this system:
WACN BEE00
System ID 3E2
RFSS 1
Site 1
Site NAC 3E0
152.0225 Pri CC

I think this might be part of the Concho Valley system because I was also receiving some other stuff in that area but there is nothing with this SID/WACN combination in the database. The frequency is in one of the part 22 licenses blocks that belong to them.

Is there anybody in that area who can determine the WACN and SID and submit it?
I know the answer is probably "no" but I'll ask anyway.

svfdchief

Premium Subscriber
This is the SID and one of the frequencies for the Divide site(Coke County) of the CVCOG system. It is in the database as Site 003

Status
Not open for further replies.