How do I program dec and hex into my pro 96???

Status
Not open for further replies.

firecrazy2009

I have a radio shack pro 96, and want to listen to austin fire department channel fcom west. It doesn't give me a frequency just a dec and a hex! What is dec and hex and how do I program that in to my pro 96? Thanks

K4IHS

Premium Subscriber
If you program using something like WIN500 software... it's just a click of the mouse. See the attached picture...

Last edited:

K4IHS

Premium Subscriber
Or... send us what hex number you have and we'll convert it to a talkgroup for you. And... this is probably a trunked radio system.. :)

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
He's got a PRO-96 - Win500 doesn't handle that radio, but Win96 does :.>>.

I find a 'FCOM West' referenced on the following database entry...(all links are blue)

Greater Austin/Travis Regional Radio System (GATRRS) Trunking System, Austin, Texas - Scanner Frequencies

Ignore all the hex stuff. tg1142 is defined as 'AFD FCOM W' in the Austin Fire Department talkgroups section.

As there are several sites to this system, I will defer to the Austin folks for specifics. I will bet, however, that they will all say that you should use a USB cable (discussed here in great detail), a premium subscription and Win96 for the programming. Or perhaps someone can send you a Win96 file that you can use.

Best Regards...Mike

Last edited:

firecrazy2009

Thanks guys. The hex number is 476. Also I would like north lake Travis fire hex number is cde. If you could please convert it for me. Thanks alot :)

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
If memory serves, that's an import function from a PRO-96 - The 96 doesn't use object oriented programming, which radios like the PRO-106/197 do.

I highly doubt Win500 would work on a PRO-96- like I said, that's WIN96's job 73 Mike

[edit] Yup - from the website...

Import P96 and P97 files, as well as reading directly from the PRO-96, PRO-97, PRO-2096, and PRO-2055 scanners.

Last edited:

firecrazy2009

I'm doing all of this from my itouch and am not able to access a computer. Is this win96 free? And of some one does have it can they convert hex 473 and hex cde for me? That would be awesome

letarotor

Premium Subscriber
WIN500 will convert your old WIN96 (.p96) and WIN97 (.p97) files but will not program the PRO-96. You need WIN96 for that.

For programming, you can choose either hex (HEX) or decimal (DEC) for Motorola systems or AFC (for EDACs systems) numbering for the system talkgroups in the software. On RR they are listed both ways.

Will the PRO-96 work on all sites in the Austin system? I seem to remember its a mixed CQPSK and C4FM multi-site/tower system. I can't remember if GRE updated the firmware to handle the latter.

Mark

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
If you check out the URL for Win96 (it's blue) in my message, you will find it's not free, but it's very good software - you get what you pay for.

However if you're doing this by hand, this might help. My only reservation is that it appears the Austin system is multi site - I am not there, so I don't know which site(s) would be the best one(s) for you to program...

Programming Shortcut Pro-96 - The RadioReference Wiki

best regards...Mike

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
firecrazy,

I can probably email you a win96 file (it has a free 30 day trial, found here).

You need to program up whichever site from GATRRS, that is closest to you. I'd try a Simulcast site first. To see a site's relative range click on the blue link of it's name. The Pro-96 will not trunk track in the 700MHz band so you can't listen to those sites (Central Austin and Caldwell Cty).

Program the frequencies in order, ensuring the "mode" is set to MOT (even though it's not a Motorola system, I know it seems weird) and that the "type" is set to "MOT."

The two talkgroup ids you need are:

1142- AFD Firecom West

3262- N Lake Travis Fire

I sold my Pro96 to a buddy of mine who works in Austin but still have all my old win96 files if you want them. Let me know if you have any other questions.

firecrazy2009

Thanks Texasemt13!! So in order for me to listen to those talk group ids, I need to down load win96? if you could email me one of those 30 day trials it would be awesome. I'm still getting used to my scanner and would really want to hear those channels. Thanks

n5ims

You may want to check out this article in the RR WIKI Programming Shortcut Pro-96 - The RadioReference Wiki it may help you program your PRO-96 manually. Based on what Texasemt13 indicated, you'll use the choices for "Motorola". Please note that the Hex and Decimal numbers are really just two ways of looking at the same number (kind of like English vs French). Some scanners want the number entered in Hex, others want it in Decimal. The database shows both so folks can just pick the one used by their scanner. I believe that your scanner uses the Decimal numbers, but since I don't have one of those scanners, I can't verify this (folks, please correct me if I'm wrong).

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
You can program all of this manually but using Win96 allows you to visualize everything that is being done. I recommend it. Click "Get It" in this link to download the program, win96, under a free 30-day trial. You will need an RS 20-546 cable, or if you can find an older RS 20-047 cable, that will work also. These require a USP port on your PC.

As n5ims said "Hex" (hexadecimal, or base 16) and "Dec" (decimal, or base 10) are two ways of reporting the same thing, specifically used in computer science and mathematics (in our instance we can refer to them as the programming code for numerics). If I recall correctly, the 96 will accept both, but you'll have to switch between the two. I think the default is "Dec" (at least it is in win96).

If you press "Man" then "###" (where ### = the 3 digit bank/channel number where your trunking system is programmed; for instance if you have the GATRRS Simulcast 1 Site in bank 1, the ### = 100). Then press "Man" again and your scanner will jump to "100," show you the first frequency from the Site, and you should see that an "Mo" is in the top right hand corner. Press "Mode" to rotate through the modes (AM/FM/MO/ED) so that each of the frequencies (101-119) for that site all show "MO" in the top right hand corner. See me pic below to see that I'm in Bank 1 Channel 00 (=100).

I'd get win96 (to make your life so much easier). When you do, I can email you my A/TC file so you can tweak it to meet your needs. I've included a generic AFD screenshot from my win96 file. As you can see below the red arrow indicates the "trunking type." Even though this is not a "Motorola TRS" as they are known, the Pro-96 requires this scanner to be in "MOT" mode to receive trunked, P25 voice. The receive mode of each frequency (indicated by the blue arrow) should also be "MOT." The green arrow shows where to switch between Dec/Hex?AFS (AFS is used for EDACS trunking systems). The yeelow arrow shows this bank is "Closed" only receiving voice on talkgroups that are programmed in. If it was "open" it would receive every talkgroup (programmed or not). This system is way too large to listen to in open mode, so leave it closed. If not you'll hear Austin Energy, wastewater, AFD, UTPD, Manchaca, Pflugerville, Austin Convention Ctr. (etc., etc., etc.,; basically anything on the trunking system is passed through your receiver).

Let me know if I can be of more help.

Attachments

• 96shot.jpg
    96shot.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 1,748

firecrazy2009

Hey man I appreciate your time! Honestly right now I dont have the money to but the USB cord or the win 96 software. I guess I'm going to have to do this manually. First off, is there anyway you could find the frequencies for afd fcom west and n lake travis frequencies and tell me what they are? And since I'm short on cash, how can I do it manually? Thanks alot man you are being really helpful

Status
Not open for further replies.