Rockwall County

Status
Not open for further replies.

darock

I need help finding the right scanner for Rockwall County. I have been to radio shack in Rockwall but they said they do not carry anything that will work for this location. I have seen conflicting stories on what to get, so anyone that knows the area, I would really appreciate any help. It would be for police/fire signals. Also, would it be the same for Hunt county too?.. as I would like to get that also if it is the same.
Thanks!!

musicman476

RR DB Admin
Database Admin
For the Rockwall Trunked Radio System, you just need a scanner that can track EDACS systems. This willl allow you to hear Rockwall City Police and Fire Departments. (as well as Public Works, should you desire) The County Sheriff and Fire channels are analog conventional frequencies that just about any scanner can handle. All of Hunt county's traffic is analog conventional as well.

I'm not as familiar with Radio Shack's GRE models as I am with the Unidens, but unless you can afford it and want to be better prepared for the future, you don't need a Digital-Capable scanner to monitor those two counties. Something like a Uniden 346XT for a handheld, or a Uniden BCT15X for a base/mobile unit would work just fine. Both of those run around $215.00 before shipping and any applicable taxes. Again, I'm sure there are Radio Shack models that would work, too. You just need something that can trunk track EDACS systems.

Hope that helps!

MM

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
For the Rockwall Trunked Radio System, you just need a scanner that can track EDACS systems. This willl allow you to hear Rockwall City Police and Fire Departments. (as well as Public Works, should you desire) The County Sheriff and Fire channels are analog conventional frequencies that just about any scanner can handle. All of Hunt county's traffic is analog conventional as well.

I'm not as familiar with Radio Shack's GRE models as I am with the Unidens, but unless you can afford it and want to be better prepared for the future, you don't need a Digital-Capable scanner to monitor those two counties. Something like a Uniden 346XT for a handheld, or a Uniden BCT15X for a base/mobile unit would work just fine. Both of those run around $215.00 before shipping and any applicable taxes. Again, I'm sure there are Radio Shack models that would work, too. You just need something that can trunk track EDACS systems.

Hope that helps!

MM
For Hunt County, there is one digital "ringer" in the mix.
The county sheriff, the various fire departments, as well as most all of the cities are indeed analog. But for the city of Greenville, the police dispatch channel, apparently, is at least part time digital.

For Radio Shack models, the Pro-163 (base/mobile) and Pro-164, a handheld, are their two current model analog scanners that would work. These are made by GRE and are virtually identical to the PSR-400 & PSR-300 respectively. (Note that the two GRE scanners are being replaced by new models: PSR-410 & PSR-310.)

As musicman already indicated, a good analog trunk tracker would get you Rockwall (the city EDACS as well as the county, which is conventional), as well as virtually all of Hunt County. Add to that Kaufman County, if desired, and some of the other systems (Garland & Mesquite, for instance). For Texas DPS, if that became an interest, you would need a digital scanner.

darock

That does help, thanks so much to you both! Radio Shack in Rockwall was telling me the county was all digital, then others I asked just didn't know, so I do appreciate your responses. This was supposed to have been a Christmas present so you see how long it took me to find this forum. I am assuming though from the response that digital would work if I was to get one, (after seeing the prices I am not though).
Again, thanks!

SCPD

QRT
Radio Shack amazes me sometimes.

The Hunt Co. Firefighters Assn. are working (no, politicking) to not go P25 digital. So considering that only Greenville PD and Hunt Co. DPS are Digital and everyone else analog (and trying to stay that way) the same analog scanner that will work for Rockwall Co. will work for Hunt Co. (at this time) for a mere $240.00 +/-.

MrSwepty

Steeeming Rockwall, County

Ok I've read over this post and I'm wanting to actually get a scanner that i can hook up to my computer and stream the Rockwall, County Police/Fire for the people in my area though Radio Reference.

I'm assuming a hand held will not get this done. Any suggestions?

Scott

darock

I ended up ordering the PRO-163 1000 from Radio Shack. (via their website) I got it for $149 plus tax & free shipping. The handheld was also the same price, but it shows that today 1/8 is the last day of the sale. Regular $199.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Ok I've read over this post and I'm wanting to actually get a scanner that i can hook up to my computer and stream the Rockwall, County Police/Fire for the people in my area though Radio Reference.

I'm assuming a hand held will not get this done. Any suggestions?

Scott
You can stream audio with either a handheld or a base/mobile scanner. That makes no difference at all, As long as the scanner receives whichever system (or systems) you're trying to do, and has an audio output (the speaker or earphone jack will do), that's all it takes on the scanner side.

The Uniden, & I believe most (if not all) of the GRE branded hand helds come with an ac adapter. Radio Shack charges extra for that accessory. All of the base/mobile scanners that I'm aware of come with an ac adapter. For more details on providing a feed, start with this page.

MrSwepty

Rockwall, County TX

Ok reading over this post is appears i need a scanner that can get Rockwall County Sheriff and Fire channels are "analog conventional" frequencies.

I'm mainly interested in a Rockwall, County, but I see Rockwall City uses EDACS systems and stated by musician i should look for a good analog trunk tracker.

If that is correct, i will take a couple of brand suggestions that are recommend by the experts that are good Analog Trunk Trackers.

I really appreciate the help. Once i get this thing i will start streaming it ASAP.

Scott

MrSwepty

I ended up ordering the PRO-163 1000 from Radio Shack. (via their website) I got it for $149 plus tax & free shipping. The handheld was also the same price, but it shows that today 1/8 is the last day of the sale. Regular $199.

Not sure how i missed your post.. Are you able to listen to Rockwall, County with PRO-163?

Scott

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Not sure how i missed your post.. Are you able to listen to Rockwall, County with PRO-163?

Scott
All of the scanners below are current model analog trunk-trackers, which would work on Rockwall (city's EDACS system, & county conventional) Also, these would work on these surrounding systems: Garland (which includes Sachse & Rowlett) and Mesquite, plus more. None would not work on TX DPS, which is digital.

Radio Shack
Pro-163 (base/mobile)
Pro-164 (handheld)

Note: The Pro-163 is made by GRE, but with a Radio Shack Label. The equivalent GRE labeled scanner is the PSR-400

Similarly, the Pro-164 is also made by GRE; the equivalent model is the PSR-300.

GRE is replacing the PSR-300 with the PSR-310, and the PSR-400 is being supplanted by the PSR-410.

For Uniden scanners:

BC346XT is the current analog handheld scanner.

BCT15X is the current analog base/mobile.

GRE & Uniden scanners are available from dealers such as ScannerMaster, Grove, The Ham Station, and others. Radio Shack shows some Uniden scanners on their web page, but at a much higher price than the average for the larger dealers.

MrSwepty

Other Stuff

Hi Steve,

I really really appreciate all the suggestions. HUGE help!

I went with the Uniden BCT15X BearTracker Mobile Tracking Scanner with GPS Support. Should have it in a few days from Scan Masters.

Next.. Will i need anything else to get up and running (streaming via Radio Reference)?

I see were there is a PC cable and software CD that some people are buying for the GRE models, do i need a particular PC cable for the BCT15X? If yes, just let me know which one i need to get.

Thanks,

Scott

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Hi Steve,

I really really appreciate all the suggestions. HUGE help!

I went with the Uniden BCT15X BearTracker Mobile Tracking Scanner with GPS Support. Should have it in a few days from Scan Masters.

Next.. Will i need anything else to get up and running (streaming via Radio Reference)?

I see were there is a PC cable and software CD that some people are buying for the GRE models, do i need a particular PC cable for the BCT15X? If yes, just let me know which one i need to get.

Thanks,

Scott
Scott,
The BCT15X will come with a pc cable, but it requires a serial port connection on the pc. (It has a different end, for the scanner, than the one used by the GRE scanners, & the ones that GRE makes for Radio Shack. If you have a pc (especially a newer model laptop) that does not have a serial port (this would be labeled as "Com1" in most cases), then you have two choices:
You can purchase the USB-1, Uniden's USB cable, which is also available from ScannerMaster, Grove, and a number of other scanner dealers.
This same cable works on all of the newer Uniden scanners. (Download the drivers before plugging the cable into your pc.)
or
You can use a USB-to-Serial converter, which is what I use for my laptop. Last year, I rebuilt both of my desktop pcs. One of them had a serial port on the new system board. On the second desktop, I installed a serial port "card" to add the port. See this Wiki article for suggestions on converters. Specifically, the section "Generic USB to RS-232 serial converters".
Of the choices listed, I use this one. Works very well. In fact, I bought a couple of extras, so that I could leave more than one scanner hooked up to the same pc at the same time. Using the converter can be handy if you end up with another device, such as a PDA, that also wants a serial port to connect to your pc.

For what else you'll need, see this page (link mentioned above as well). The yellow section "Providing a feed" should get you started. Links there for software used for providing the feed, on the 'setting up' page is a list of a few audio cables, all Radio Shack part #s. Direct more specific questions to the Live Audio Administration forum for assistance (I don't claim to be an expect on feeds).

For programming your new scanner, consider downloading FreeScan. I use it for my 396XT & several other scanners. FreeScan is free, though donations are accepted if you like the program.

Another software program that gets good comments is ProScan. This is not freeware, though it does have a free trial period. I am considering it because besides my newer scanners (396T & -XT, 996T, etc), it will also program my older Unidens (BC250D & BC780XLT). It also has a provision for streaming audio. There's also ARC-XT, from Butel, another paid program. It also has a free trial period before you have to pull out the wallet or quit using it.

darock

Scott
I just received it yesterday (PRO-163 1000 from Radio Shack. (via their website)) and it is up and running. Picks up Rockwall very well as well as other local areas.
I appreciate everyone's help!

darock

Well, I thought I was picking up Rockwall, it was just the highway patrol. From what I can tell, I need some additional id # to input to set it up. Anyone know what that might be? The chart with all the freq. codes does not list it.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Well, I thought I was picking up Rockwall, it was just the highway patrol. From what I can tell, I need some additional id # to input to set it up. Anyone know what that might be? The chart with all the freq. codes does not list it.
Are you talking about the EDACS system for the City of Rockwall? This one? Rockwall Trunking System, Rockwall, Texas - Scanner Frequencies
You'll need to program that as a trunked system, with the frequencies listed under the site (453.225, 453.800, etc), programmed in the specific channel numbers in the scanner, starting in channel # 001 (or 101, or 201, etc, depending on the bank you use), not in the very first channel slot (000, 100, 200, etc).
I don't own a Pro-163, so unfortunately, I can't be much more specific, but I believe that it's similar enough to the previous model, Pro-97, that this might help some.
Once you have the system programmed correctly, with the frequencies entered in the correct positions, then you can enter the specific talk group IDs that interest you.

SCPD

QRT

Try here

darock

I think I finally have it set right. I didn't have the actual talk groups programmed in. I truly appreciate all of your help!

N5JCJ

Premium Subscriber
I didn't want to start a new thread under "Rockwall County" as this thread already exist. My question is if anyone would happen to know the input frequencies for Rockwall County. I work for the Terrell Police Dept. and I am trying to program my Kenwood 2180 with the neighboring counties. Thanks for any help.

Status
Not open for further replies.