McKinney P25

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhall7

Premium Subscriber
Is it just me, or is the new McKinney P25 digital system almost completely silent? This must be because the PD channels are all encrypted and this is where the majority of the radio traffic is. I'm hearing medical/fire dispatch, but not much else--not even utility workers.

Confused,

SCPD

QRT
Is it just me, or is the new McKinney P25 digital system almost completely silent? This must be because the PD channels are all encrypted and this is where the majority of the radio traffic is. I'm hearing medical/fire dispatch, but not much else--not even utility workers.

Confused,

Its just you :D

Just Kidding, Are you aware that McKinney has a new Digital (P25) Trunked radio system? Did you know that ALL POLICE Groups are ENCRYPTED? Yepper's McKinney PD is now out of the scanner loop!

Pretty sad too, Considering MPD is working a Search and DPS 101 has to work off Texas Law-1 and then rebroadcast to DPS ground units below.

My money says that sometime in the next year Patrol-1 or one of the event channels will open up and get away from the encryption ....

bhall7

Premium Subscriber
Yeah...I knew about the new system and the PD being encrypted. It is unfortunate, but somewhat understandable. It would be cool if they could keep it open, and then selectively go encrypted as the need arises (such as a SWAT activity, etc.) It's just nice to know what's going on in your neighborhood, you know?

n5vkmdlu

McKinney PD Encrpting sucks!!! needs to STOP NOW!!

Yeah...I knew about the new system and the PD being encrypted. It is unfortunate, but somewhat understandable. It would be cool if they could keep it open, and then selectively go encrypted as the need arises (such as a SWAT activity, etc.) It's just nice to know what's going on in your neighborhood, you know?

Hello All, It is not understandable. City of McKinney spent extra 1/2 million dollars to encrypt with Motorola. It is all the top rank in PD idea to encrpt. McKinney PD hated people to listen to PD oprations on trunk police scanners on their old analog Motorola Smart I system. I know first hand few years ago I lived in McKinney. McKinney PD had a problem on my street a officer walking around heard my scanner and told me to turn it off. I told the officer I am a Amateur Radio Operator I have a license to listen to my radios. He told me years ago, that they was lookling at going digital so people could not listen to police radio trafffic in McKinney, TX. I am waiting for a major event the PD needs help with and no other PD or Collin County SO can talk to PD on their system. Then McKinney would think about turning off encrption and go to normal P25 like Frisco, TX PD. Frisco, TX P25 system sounds GREAT in most areas of Collin County.

73's Danny

bhall7

Premium Subscriber
Indeed, Frisco's new digital sounds awesome. I love that we can still hear Frisco PD (although I'm sure they have the option of encrypting certain channels if they wanted to).

It is unfortunate that McKinney PD feels that they need to encrypt. It doesn't foster much public trust or cooperation.

Last edited:

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
I don't know about McKinney, but Waco PD has started using the TxWarn P25 system; however, there are few officers using the system. Perhaps, the city has yet to purchase these radios. On occasion, I hear the Street Crimes unit talking on this new digital system. However, it is rare to hear the drug enforcement arm of the department operating in the clear. So, after the McKinney system is fully activated, maybe they will only encrypt a few. It makes me quite suspicious when a law enforcement agencies decides to encrypt their transmissions. Georgetown, Texas is one such agency that might have something to hide, I really don't know.

n5vkmdlu

Now, ???? Where are McKinney Public Works talkgroups??

Hello All, I know the McKinney P25 is working now for over a month. Where is McKinney public works like traffic, roads, water, city ops, McKinney ISD, and other talkgroups. Did they drop talkgroups or encryted all that radio traffic with PD too. Also, have not seen a lot of talkgroup on RR like on old system. What is up???? I like to some information.

73's Danny N5VKM Princeton, TX

bhall7

Premium Subscriber
I have the same question, Danny! Typically a city's radio system is buzzing with activity (maintenance, utilities, animal control, etc.). But all I hear on the new McKinney P25 is an occasional fire dispatch.

Russell

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
I think they cranked down the power on this system, as well. Meaning, if you're not in the city, you aren't going to hear much. In the Austin area, Williamson County did the same thing when they went to P25. Weak signal system by design and encryption - what are they hiding?

mikebennett

Premium Subscriber
I've got a logging system set on the system but about the only non-PD/FD traffic I've heard so far is two golf course related TG's and animal control.

n5vkmdlu

McKinney P25 only PD/FD ONLY???? This is CRAZY!!!

I've got a logging system set on the system but about the only non-PD/FD traffic I've heard so far is two golf course related TG's and animal control.

I have not heard much on the TG's for the golf courses or the animal control. I love for somebody to talk to the Motorola techs someplace about the McKinney P25 system. I only hear the FD traffic on the TG's RR have listed so far on system. I like to know what McKinney did with Public Works, and McKinney ISD radios now. This is crazy!!! City of McKinney spent milllions on a radio system only PD/FD uses is CRAZY...I like to have some heads roll in City of McKinney local offices. I only pay sales tax dollars to McKinney every day...I am glad I do not live in McKinney...I live in the Country in Collin County North of Princeton, TX. P.S. (McKinney city pop. is only 125,000....Why did McKinney think they need a high dollar new radio system to start with???) I looking up cost....McKinney system cost $8.1 million dollars to set up...that is a lot of wasted money.

73's Danny N5VKM

Last edited:

n5vkmdlu

I think they cranked down the power on this system, as well. Meaning, if you're not in the city, you aren't going to hear much. In the Austin area, Williamson County did the same thing when they went to P25. Weak signal system by design and encryption - what are they hiding?

I hear the McKinney P25 system with FD talkgroups in Richardson, TX on US 75 near High 5 I-635 LBJ. I have a moblie antenna on the roof my car and my new GRE PSR-800. I think McKinney system is at normal power for system. I think the problem is system is encryted all radio traffic but FD radio traffic. My thinking is I scan systems channels I see the McKinney P25 system ID NAC 380 and No sound or some encryting sound that my radio plays. I think they are running a no sound digitial traffic for all talkgroups but FD....because weekdays I have a lot of traffic on system channels with no sound. I know public works etc. have to be using some type of radio system to talk around the city.

73's Danny N5VKM

redhelmet13

I like to have some heads roll in City of McKinney local offices. I only pay sales tax dollars to McKinney every day...I am glad I do not live in McKinney...I live in the Country in Collin County North of Princeton said:
Somewhere, A rather greedy /\/\ sales rep has a big cheese eating grin on their crooked nosed face... Either the powers that be are gullable and bought the 55 gal. drum of snake oil or they did their homework and understand the technology and information resources available to both the "stinking masses" and the "wise guys"...

Complaining will do no good in these instances... Remember they have "Homeland Security" to protect at all and I do mean ALL co$ts.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Williamson County P25

I am not sure about McKinney; however, I surely concur with the observations of Russell. Something is amiss in Georgetown & Leander, the two cities where I cannot monitor GATRRS. Williamson county has a reputation for being a pretty conservative community.

What I can't understand is why fire and ems are encrypted. If I were to guess, I would think the interpretation of HIPPA laws are behind it. Who knows?

bhall7

Premium Subscriber
Hearing some activity tonight on TG 6 (dec), that sounds like some tactical PD work.

UPDATE (4/8/11, 8:30 pm): Just went silent.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Letter's ... Good luck with that!

I know there are a lot of problems with this system, I've got an ear in and there are some serious complaints from those who use it to those who want to use it to those who can't hear it. The Encryption in my opinion was a bad idea, but the Com guy for McKinney is also the IT guy who has an attitude of "Were going to encryption because we can". Some rumor says it'll come off other rumor says its there for ever. I've heard Princeton PD wants to go on the system but this would make Princeton buy into it with their own site and site controller at a cost of a few million dollars. There is a Huge book out (To County folks) which explain the system better and market it to outside agencies - but the cost of joining is beyond astronomical.

TXDPS has complained to McKinney over the encryption because they don't yet have the capable patch options for interoperability. Case in point was last week when they had a runner down near Stacy & 75 which had 101 simulcasting McKinney to other agencies on Texas Law-1.

The Sheriff's office found issues in communicating with McKinney as have Fire Departments who are not on that type of Digital or on Analog systems and can't afford digital radios. (Of course the FD's have been in denial that Digital would ever happen so it serves them right in this case) McKinney FD itself pretty much hates the radio system which is probably due to the range capability.

I've heard from relatively high up folks to low on the pole folks to not involved folks who all have things to say about the encryption and non-encrypted aspects. Who knows where its going to go. I believe the folks in San Antonio went through this when SA moved to ProVoice Digital. The sad thing is that its the sign of the times. Both Dallas and Richardson have plans to Encrypt their systems as well.

bhall7

Premium Subscriber
MaxTracker,

Thanks for the interesting feedback. Let's just hope that the City does the right thing.

n5vkmdlu

Letter's ... Good luck with that!

I know there are a lot of problems with this system, I've got an ear in and there are some serious complaints from those who use it to those who want to use it to those who can't hear it. The Encryption in my opinion was a bad idea, but the Com guy for McKinney is also the IT guy who has an attitude of "Were going to encryption because we can". Some rumor says it'll come off other rumor says its there for ever. I've heard Princeton PD wants to go on the system but this would make Princeton buy into it with their own site and site controller at a cost of a few million dollars. There is a Huge book out (To County folks) which explain the system better and market it to outside agencies - but the cost of joining is beyond astronomical.

TXDPS has complained to McKinney over the encryption because they don't yet have the capable patch options for interoperability. Case in point was last week when they had a runner down near Stacy & 75 which had 101 simulcasting McKinney to other agencies on Texas Law-1.

The Sheriff's office found issues in communicating with McKinney as have Fire Departments who are not on that type of Digital or on Analog systems and can't afford digital radios. (Of course the FD's have been in denial that Digital would ever happen so it serves them right in this case) McKinney FD itself pretty much hates the radio system which is probably due to the range capability.

I've heard from relatively high up folks to low on the pole folks to not involved folks who all have things to say about the encryption and non-encrypted aspects. Who knows where its going to go. I believe the folks in San Antonio went through this when SA moved to ProVoice Digital. The sad thing is that its the sign of the times. Both Dallas and Richardson have plans to Encrypt their systems as well.

Now, We are seeing the issues McKinney PD did not look at going to this system with encrption on. McKinney P25 system would work normally like Frisco P25 if encryption is turned off. But McKinney spent a extra $500,000 for the encryption software from the Motorola people. So, McKinney will keep encrption on until they get refund on the encryption software from Motorola. I have not heard one city of McKinney office looking into the refund or turning off software. Like I have said before, I know rating PD officers want the encrption because they do not want scanner listeners hearing traffic in the city. Also you talked about Princeton PD wanted on the system. I do not think so.....Princeton PD does not have the money to buy new radios and site here. Plus, Princeton PD has a good deal with Collin County TRS system with radios and FD on system. Princeton PD officers like encrption idea too like McKinney PD but costs are to high for a town of 5,500 people. The biggest problem I see is a lot of police departments do not want us to monitor radio traffic. They think we are or work with the bad guys listening to scanners. Police do not want the bad guys to know what they are doing. I believe you only encrypt major events like Tac etc or other private issues Drug warrants etc. on only one special talkgroup on a system.... this is for ALL Radio systems nationwide period!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. Texas DPS had a event today again in McKinney and Collin County. I do not know infor. heard DPS P25 at 2:00PM talk about setting up patches in McKinney, Collin County, and Wylie.

73's Danny N5VKM

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Hello Danny - Good post!

Like I mentioned there are a lot of rumors flying about the McKinney System and who is going to join and who wants to join. We got a book by D/FW Communications in Fannin County outlying the radio system and the costs if We wanted to Join it. I believe both Grayson and Hunt were also sent this also, It shows future expansion into Princeton and North towards Blue ridge. I guess I confused that with Princeton actually going on it. And yes, to add a site/site controller was in the million dollar range let alone the radio cost of 5 to 7 thousand dollars a piece.

I know some McKinney Fire guys who absolutely hate it, but I also know some McKinney cops who love it and rub it in us scanner folks faces every chance they can get. But many of the officers also know it is kind of BS because there are decent folks out here who are not criminals that like listening. I've also heard (And I am not knocking radio reference at all) That McKinney wanted their Police traffic off the internet and was really concerned that anyone with an iPhone could listen in without the need of a scanner. Radio Reference is NOT a top secret website for both Crook or Cop.

If I pay half a million for Radio Encryption I am going to use it also. But I would like to see them wise up and create a few TG's in the clear for at least interoperability reasons.

We'll all see how this unfolds over the next few years. It sux not being able to hear them but its also comforting knowing that criminals can't either. McKinney is professional enough that I still feel safe in their city even without being able to hear them, Dallas I'd be Leary of in the same circumstance.

Brian, Nice website ... bookmarked ya.

73's

Last edited:

reedeb

As someone who has been in Public safety communiations for over 20 years I see good and bad here. I see the need to SOMETIMES encrypt [stakeouts and very sensetive issues] BUT other times from my experience many folks in "scannerland" do indeed help out with info. If LEO's are looking for a certain car or person [if it's sooo secret why broadcast it in newspapers or on TV?] I've been out looking for a smoke check and have someone with a scanner go thru the area and notice it and let us know [saved more then 1 home in several instances]

With todays economic woes I cannot forsee too many more changeovers without the population having a fit about the waste [not when you have teachers laid off other personal also getting the pink slip and shutting down other services]

Status
Not open for further replies.