Richardson P25

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Just out of curiosity ....

Has anyone ran any software on Richardson lately? rumor has it there supposed to switch to P25 in August or September and the database shows the modified license with two new channels at four sites.

Just wondering ....

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I think they have. I'm not hearing them now [I'm right in an area next to Garland / Richarson area]
I can't hear them from home, with any consistency. Their signal has always been too week, even after rebanding.

I'll throw a dummy P25 system in the 396XT, using the two extra channels, and see what pops up when I have a spare few minutes at work. I'm just south of them at the office, so within range there.

SCPD

QRT
Steve - good deal, be curious to know if they're running a new CC and conducting system testing. The new 4 site system might make for better scanning of them at distances to the north. Be interesting to see.

Russell

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
Richardson is still alive on EDACS. I'm hearing PD right now. 853.6125 is used for FD Station Alerting and other signalling in conventional mode. So, the only "new" freq is 859.4125. There's no P25 control channel up on any of these frequencies.

Last edited:

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Richardson is still alive on EDACS. I'm hearing PD right now. 853.6125 is used for FD Station Alerting and other signalling in conventional mode. So, the only "new" freq is 859.4125. There's no P25 control channel up on any of these frequencies.
I did not hear any activity either today. I'll leave the "dummy" system in, though, in case things change.

RedXRunner

I just checked my recording system (VRS) and had Richard FD dispatch a unit yesterday. I haven't messed with this scanner in over a year...

SCPD

QRT
RedX if its been that long check and see if your scanning the NEW re-banded frequencies in the database

Guys I heard them in EDACS also but I've heard they are looking to swap over to P25 in August or September. And because everyone conducts systems tests prior to moving the entire city over I figured we might keep an eye out since August 1st is just next week.

Thanks again!

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
RedX if its been that long check and see if your scanning the NEW re-banded frequencies in the database

Guys I heard them in EDACS also but I've heard they are looking to swap over to P25 in August or September. And because everyone conducts systems tests prior to moving the entire city over I figured we might keep an eye out since August 1st is just next week.

Thanks again!
Still not picking up anything 'new' (today), but I'll keep spot checking it. The EDACS system was going strong, though.

Raccon

Cassidian Communications Installs Digital P25 LMR Public Safety Network for the City of Richardson

Today Cassidian Communications, an EADS North America company, announced that it has completed the system deployment of a new CORP25 digital, trunked simulcast P25 Land Mobile Radio (LMR) network for the City of Richardson, Texas. With the completion of this installation, the network is now on the air and ready to handle more than 7000 calls in an average day. (continue reading here)

Russell

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
Wonder what freqs they are using. Richardson is still on their EDACS - I hear NO P25 signal on any of their licensed freqs.

SCPD

QRT
Wonder what freqs they are using. Richardson is still on their EDACS - I hear NO P25 signal on any of their licensed freqs.

Same here, the EDACS is just trunking along. The company which won the bid to build the system I THINK was supposed to move to Richardson as part of the deal, I wonder if they (like Frisco) licensed the new channels in their name as a test system - OR the new system is not as close to being built as the rumor-mongers are saying.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Fellas we are missing something. I saw that Cassidian announcement in the community announcements section and started looking. Apparently parts of this P25 system have been in place and operational since May according to the press release from the city of Richardson.

I think some local folks need to start looking a lot harder. :lol:

Russell

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
It's very unlikely that the system has been completely installed. While they may have installed something in May, the bids for equipment weren't even approved until mid June. The EDACS radio system is still in full operation on Richardson's licensed frequencies. Regardless of what the Press Releases may say, they haven't moved over to it yet. They're close, and, could conceivably move over pretty quickly. If they turned it on then they turned it back off until they get all their new gear installed.

The following bids were approved in the June 13 City Council meeting;

7. Bid #49-11 – Authorized issuance of a Co-op Purchase Order to Motorola Solutions, Inc., for portable and mobile radios for the Cassidian (EADS) P25 Radio System through the Houston-Galveston Area Council of Governments Contract #RA01-08 in the amount of $4,673,395.30.

8. Bid #50-11 – Authorized issuance of a Co-op Purchase Order to Avtec, Inc., for the radio console for the Cassidian (EADS) P25 Radio System through the General Services Administration, Schedule 70, Contract #GS-35F-0183U in the amount of $566,869.57.

9. Bid #51-11 – Authorized issuance of a Purchase Order to Cassidian Communications, Inc., for the sole source procurement of the radio encryption server for the Cassidian (EADS) P25 Radio System in the amount of $340,000.

10. Bid #52-11 – Authorized issuance of a Cooperative Purchase Order to Qwest Communications, LLC for data switches for the Cassidian (EADS) P25 Radio System through the State of Texas Department of Information Resources (DIR) Contract DIR-SDD-1376 in the amount of $66,276.50.

Last edited:

n5ims

I believe that this STA license (WQNY352) may be the key to the new Richardson P-25 system. It includes the justification below. It appears that this license includes the current EDACS frequencies plus the additional temporary frequency (859.4125 MHz) for testing the P-25 system. If folks closer to the system can check out this STA frequency to find out what it has that may be helpful. I can barely pick it up here and hear very staticy digital buzzing (but insufficient strength to even attempt to decode).

Request for Special Temporary Authority
Justification Exhibit
June 24, 2011

The City of Richardson respectfully requests a special temporary license to support the
installation, testing, and optimization of a P25 public safety radio system. The requested
transmission sites and operating parameters for the eight NPSPAC band channels have
been approved by the Region 40 RPC and have been coordinated by APCO. The
resulting FCC application for modification of callsign WNVR825 has been submitted by
APCO per FCC File Number 0004759784. This request for STA duplicates the RPC
approved and APCO coordinated application. The City of Richard is currently licensed
for the eight NPSPAC frequencies per callsigns WNVR825 and WQEE937.

The STA further requests temporary use of 859.4125 MHz to aid in the testing and
optimization process. The City of Richardson holds a license for 859.4125 MHz under
callsign WNHS745. Once the P25 system has been fully deployed, this frequency will be
deactivated and returned to its primary function.

System testing and optimization is expected to begin on July 15, 2011 and will be
completed within 120 days. Please contact Keith Whitt with any questions or comments.

Keith Whitt
972-518-1811 Ext 103
keith.whitt@trottgroup.com

Russell

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
859.4125 ... that's the one I've been monitoring for a couple of weeks. At least we have a date now.

I now hear a solid tone in P25 conventional with NAC293. I was monitoring in trunked mode, but it's not trunked.

n5ims

I do hope that when the real system is active they have better coverage than the 859.4125 signal does currently. I suspect it's not on the main system's antenna system, but is just stuck where they could put it for the temporary test period, which might explain the poor signal strength roughly 15 miles away.

Status
Not open for further replies.