Mystery Frequency

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Last night, I was traveling down Highway 6. I heard my PSR 500 attempting to find a NAC since it sounded like a digital transmission. The frequency was 155.6925. I've been hearing this in two locations, Cross Plains, Texas & near Hill County (line of sight).

When I searched RR for this frequency, I found the following for this frequency: Texas Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

When I checked the Hill County & Cross Plains VFD call signs, I found emissions designators consistent with P25 transmissions, voice.

When I was passing through Cross Plains, the squelch search landed on a NAC, but I didn't catch the NAC & failed to punch "store."

I think there might be another P25 frequency being used in Hill county.

If anyone has identified this frequency, I would appreciate hearing from you.

twobytwo

Ensnared,It is probably somthing in the Hill country. My parents live in Cross Plains and there is not that much activity on that freq. I think Ive heard activity twice all the time when I would stay severaldays at a time there. I noticed the NAC wasnt in the database.I had the NAC for that freq in Cross Plains at one time.I ll have to see if I have it somewhere.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Cross Plains

Ensnared,It is probably somthing in the Hill country. My parents live in Cross Plains and there is not that much activity on that freq. I think Ive heard activity twice all the time when I would stay severaldays at a time there. I noticed the NAC wasnt in the database.I had the NAC for that freq in Cross Plains at one time.I ll have to see if I have it somewhere.

What is up with the strong police presence in Cross Plains? Each & every time I'm passing through on Highway 36, there they are near that main intersection.

Yeah, I wish I'd written down or stored the NAC in Cross Plains. Thanks for trying to capture it. I am going to add the Hill County frequency into my main operating V-folder to see if I can find the mysterious NAC. I know that Hillsboro PD is using digital with a NAC of 293.

I wonder what would happen if I programmed this NAC with the mysterious frequency? I will do this to see what happens.

Since I am fairly close to Hillsboro, I will likely load this frequency with "Auto" & "Search" to capture such. I might have to travel up IH35 to lock onto the NAC.

One of these two methods should bring up the NAC.

Thanks for responding.

twobytwo

This is the latest info I have.After getting on my OLD computer I found a CTSS code of 156.7 ,this was around Sept last year when I logged it. I dont know if they have switched to digital officially yet.The police presence is because it is a small town speed trap and not a highcrime area- LOL..Pd also hangs out alot across the street from the high school when the speed limit is 20mph during school ( this was before Conn incident) and under the canopy of an abandoned gas s station(esp during hot summer days) on the south side of 36 on the west side of town close to the park.The pd does most of communications on 155.64 with Callahan CO SO.Seems fire is dispatched on 155.34 during a major auto accident,not sure though.

Last edited:

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Hillsboro PD

This is the latest info I have.After getting on my OLD computer I found a CTSS code of 156.7 ,this was around Sept last year when I logged it. I dont know if they have switched to digital officially yet.The police presence is because it is a small town speed trap and not a highcrime area- LOL..Pd also hangs out alot across the street from the high school when the speed limit is 20mph during school ( this was before Conn incident) and under the canopy of an abandoned gas s station(esp during hot summer days) on the south side of 36 on the west side of town close to the park.The pd does most of communications on 155.64 with Callahan CO SO.Seems fire is dispatched on 155.34 during a major auto accident,not sure though.

I used to hear Hillsboro talking on P25, but not lately. When I was traveling on highway 6, I received a very strong signal. I was pretty close to Hillsboro when this frequency was received, but, I was too far to get the NAC since it was on "search."

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber

Russell

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
Hill Co has been running P25 on and off, especially on the Hillsboro PD channel w/mixed use on the PD channel; Dispatch in analog and field unit in P25 and a lot of unit to unit P25. These were all in the DB at one time.

I'll have to check my notes on 155.6925. I think the SO was using this channel in P25 mode w/293 NAC (notes: unconfirmed SO P25).

I haven't been through there in a while. Hill County was always interesting as they bounced back and forth quite a bit between analog and P25.

Russell

Last edited:

twobytwo

Last edited:

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Returning To Big Spring

Ensard, I know this is beating a dead horse ,But I was in Cross Plains for about 3 days and had thae scanner on for almost 24 hrs a day and did not get a peep on 155.6925. It must be a fire channel only. There was an ambulance callbut it was on Callahan ch .
I also notice that these two licenses have expired:
KNES995 (CROSS PLAINS, CITY OF) FCC Callsign Details
WPXF830 (CROSS PLAINS, CITY OF) FCC Callsign Details

In the very near future, I will be traveling to Big Spring, Texas via highway 36. When I heard this signal before, I was returning home on highway 6. Hopefully, I will be reaching up and hitting the soft key for store when I see this frequency surface, provided it does.

I had this frequency set on "auto" & "search" beforehand. But, we'll see.

RubedoDragon

I've been picking up this frequency on my Homepatrol in Cisco. It registers as Cross Plains Fire Dispatch, but the chatter sounds like a police department to me. I'll keep listening to it.

RubedoDragon

I'm getting an NAC of 215 for this frequency, and it seems very clear in Cisco, with quite a bit of traffic that sounds like police, not a fire department. My home setup is just a homemade indoor antenna as landlord will not allow an outdoor one. :/ I'm surprised by the strength of this frequency, as most Callahan county transmissions come in with a bit of static and this one sounds like its very closeby.. If RR database is correct, range would be about 24 miles.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I'm getting an NAC of 215 for this frequency, and it seems very clear in Cisco, with quite a bit of traffic that sounds like police, not a fire department. My home setup is just a homemade indoor antenna as landlord will not allow an outdoor one. :/ I'm surprised by the strength of this frequency, as most Callahan county transmissions come in with a bit of static and this one sounds like its very closeby.. If RR database is correct, range would be about 24 miles.
You may be hearing Stephens County. See if any of the highways mentioned (state, U.S., or F.M.) seem to match up with Stephens.

Stephens County S.O. is on 155.685, with a NAC of 215. When I visit friends at their property in southeastern Stephens County, I get the same effect on a couple of my scanners. I also get 'hits' on 155.385, which is licensed to Rising Star VFD. But what I'm actually hearing is one of the voice channels on the Parker County trunked system, Weatherford site, which is also 155.385.

RubedoDragon

True, the "dispatch" person does sound similar on both frequencies. I've tried paying attention to addresses they are dispatched to to see if I can pinpoint a city or county but having a hard time listening in time and understanding the dispatcher. There is a bit of a frequency gap between the "Cross Plains VFD" and Stephens SO. 155.6925 for "CPVFD" and 155.6850 for Stephens Co SO (Mobile Units). Could I still be picking up Stephens with that much difference? Figuring so with the NAC of 215. Its funny, I've never heard them say" #" to Stephens or anything to do with Stephens Co, like Eastland does. Still pretty new to the digital scanning world so taking some time to get all of the new stuff down lol.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
True, the "dispatch" person does sound similar on both frequencies. I've tried paying attention to addresses they are dispatched to to see if I can pinpoint a city or county but having a hard time listening in time and understanding the dispatcher. There is a bit of a frequency gap between the "Cross Plains VFD" and Stephens SO. 155.6925 for "CPVFD" and 155.6850 for Stephens Co SO (Mobile Units). Could I still be picking up Stephens with that much difference? Figuring so with the NAC of 215. Its funny, I've never heard them say" #" to Stephens or anything to do with Stephens Co, like Eastland does.

Still pretty new to the digital scanning world so taking some time to get all of the new stuff down lol.
If the frequency is strong enough, or the transmitter is a bit 'off frequency', you may hear it on an adjacent frequency.

Stephens, at least in the past, does not always refer to 'dispatch' by the county name. Eastland does, yes, and I've heard Erath do that, as well as Palo Pinto at times.

This site can help you pinpoint the location of highways. (Use the link at the bottom of the page to switch over to US Highways [US] or State Highways [SH].) Also, remember that most of the Vhf-high frequencies in use in your area are re-used by another agency 'two or three counties away' (75-90 miles). The 155.685 used by Stephens is also used by Nolan County S.O. in the Abilene area (different NAC).

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Cisco

I appreciate the feedback about this frequency identification. The last time I traveled though the area on highway 36, not highway 6, I did not hear any transmissions on this frequency. Cross Plains used to transmit in digital mode, but I heard them transmitting in analog the last time I traveled through "Checkpoint Charlie." I've not figured out what is so important about that intersection in Cross Plains. Almost every time I pass through there, cops are making their presence known. In fact, DPS is pretty active there as well.

RubedoDragon

I lived in Cross Plains for about 8 years. Theres about 3 DPS troopers that live in Cross Plains and I usually see them at the JPs office right at that intersection and at the local homecooking cafe down Highway 36, "Jean's Feedbarn". The chief of police there was an ex-trooper so they all are pretty close. I think that could explain the high police presence when you catch them.

xrsm002

I work for one if the two EMS services in Cross Plains and we are using digital radios now. Bit they aren't encrypted. Actually I think all of Callahan county is digital.

RubedoDragon

Yeah xrsm002, I can pick up Baird over here in Cisco pretty well. I had wondered why their tone suddenly got so much deeper. I feel dumb for not realizing now that they must have switched to digital. lol Must have been pretty recent, within the last 3 years or so? There is probably a few things that need to be edited or added on the Callahan County database. But maybe not.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.