Howard County Merges Agencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Recently, I've been visiting in Big Spring, Texas. When I turned on my pre-programmed digital scanner, several frequencies were found to be silent. Hence, I started to search for active tones.

When I opened up the FCC DB for Howard County, I found some interesting frequencies.

ULS License - Public Safety Pool, Conventional License - KNFR291 - HOWARD, COUNTY OF - Frequencies Summary

This call sign showed what I believe to be low power itinerant frequencies. Well, I think that is what you call FX1 & FX2 frequencies. If I'm not mistaken, these are sometimes used as input frequencies, but I'm not sure. I know that some radio setups allow officers to patch to portable radios to their cars. Do these low power frequencies work for this kind of setup?

When I put some of these UHF frequencies into the scanner, I was surprised to find DC:072 for 458.05 mhz. Also, I found 458.25 showing CT:123.0. As expected, I am hearing a simplex transmission on these low power frequencies.

Today, I discovered that Howard County SO Primary is using CT:192.8 like Big Spring Fire/PD. In the recent past, the PD and SO moved into a new communication center/jail. They are sharing services. However, I don't know if they are using different dispatchers sitting in the same communication suite.

I attempted to obtain a channel guide for all LE in this county from an insider. Let's see I get it.

Last edited:

rattlerbb01

TX/LA Database Admin
Database Admin
All communication between units there is VHF. I spent some oilfield time in Big Spring in 2011 and 2012. If I am not mistaken, the UHF frequencies are relays for either simulcasting towers on the same frequency (155.415) or for a voting system. You'll hear voice on them, but they are generally point-point directional transmitters.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Not On My Worst Enemy, Big Spring, Texas

All communication between units there is VHF. I spent some oilfield time in Big Spring in 2011 and 2012. If I am not mistaken, the UHF frequencies are relays for either simulcasting towers on the same frequency (155.415) or for a voting system. You'll hear voice on them, but they are generally point-point directional transmitters.

Thanks for your response regarding this radio system. I was unsure about these low powered frequencies, but I will be re-programming them to exclude these.

I've also been monitoring the Permian Basin Regional P25 system. I attempted to run a Pro96Com on the site, but when I try, the power goes south. It starts out around 96% and then crashes. When I visited my father this past week, I received Ector County SO on that system two nights in a row. I hear that Big Spring will be joining this system.

Yes, I moved to this city in 1973 from Levelland. Back then, Webb Air Force base was going strong.

In the recent past, the drought has worsened the pollen. I know you likely know what a real sand storm is like after living there, LOL. Every time I go, my allergies knock me flat.

If you did not know, Big Spring has recently renovated & opened the Hotel Settles. Many of the suites have been booked for a year by those working in the oil industry. My father tells me that the oil fields have expanded since the 1980's when the bottom fell out.

Sign of the Times, Hotel Settles Reopens its Doors - YouTube

I will be returning from time to time. I hope to submit various tones that are missing from the RR DB. From what I've heard, Big Spring is expected to double in size because of the oil boom. Motel rates in and around that area are though the roof. Therefore, I am expecting much more traffic on the police scanner.

Thanks for your comments. The new LE center is very nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.