San Angelo, Tom Green County?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nd5y

According to the database the county has some conventional P25 channels and the city has an EDACS trunked system with analog, ProVoice digital and encrypted talkgroups.
Goodfellow AFB is supposed to be on a VHF P25 trunked system now but it isn't in the database.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Digital They Are

Any information about this area is greatly appreciated..I am moving there...are they digital??

So, you are moving to San Angelo? Good luck on scanning because you won't be hearing much from San Angelo PD. If you know how to intercept using a computer, there is still encryption to deal with out there. There is an interesting communications center for the military in the area, but good luck hearing anything. Eventually, you might be able to hear things on the Permian Basin trunking system, but not for San Angelo. But, this is a growing system. San Angelo cops tend to take themselves way too seriously. I've attempted to monitor this city when they were more open in their radio transmissions. Like Big Spring, where my father resides, this is an extremely boring area to monitor. Good luck.

Last edited:

n0xvz

Premium Subscriber
So, you are moving to San Angelo? Good luck on scanning because you won't be hearing much from San Angelo PD. If you know how to intercept using a computer, there is still encryption to deal with out there. There is an interesting communications center for the military in the area, but good luck hearing anything. Eventually, you might be able to hear things on the Permian Basin trunking system, but not for San Angelo. But, this is a growing system. San Angelo cops tend to take themselves way too seriously. I've attempted to monitor this city when they were more open in their radio transmissions. Like Big Spring, where my father resides, this is an extremely boring area to monitor. Good luck.

Really? I successfully monitor communications in the San Angelo area quite well every day. With the exception of the base, I've found the database here to be very helpful.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
E

Really? I successfully monitor communications in the San Angelo area quite well every day. With the exception of the base, I've found the database here to be very helpful.

From what I am seeing in RR regarding the EDACS trunking system, there is a mixed dispatch mode for San Angelo PD. Otherwise, I am seeing many E's. If the RR DB is accurate for that area, that would be a bit boring for me since Waco has a much more active scanning environment. Why so much encryption?

Last edited:

n0xvz

Premium Subscriber
Why so much encryption?

Because there is a need for it? Not everyone needs access to the inner workings of the PD. They should be able to conduct operations without the "bad guys" being tipped off and nosy people getting the the way. Not to mention officer safety. IMO, it's kinda like OPSEC.

...that would be a bit boring for me since Waco has a much more active scanning environment.

To each their own. I find it to be enough for the reasons I listen.

n0xvz

Premium Subscriber
San Angelo is in the process of migrating from EDACS to P25.

I'd like to get smart of "finding" freqs and channels. I suspect from what I'm hearing locally that I'm missing a few freqs. I think there are also some talkgroups that aren't listed in the DB. Unfortunately, I don't dedicate the time to truly sort it all out.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
E

Because there is a need for it? Not everyone needs access to the inner workings of the PD. They should be able to conduct operations without the "bad guys" being tipped off and nosy people getting the the way. Not to mention officer safety. IMO, it's kinda like OPSEC.

To each their own. I find it to be enough for the reasons I listen.

I have been monitoring scanners since 1976. Yes, I am aware that there is a definite need for encryption. This is not rocket science. But, the pervasive encryption of emergency personnel like what has happened in Ft. Worth, Texas, Williamson County, etc. is not based on fact. In fact, I have serious doubts as to whether there is a statistically compelling measurement reflecting that a significant number of officers have been either killed or injured as a function of those monitoring radio traffic.

In Waco, the Waco PD Information officer: a) told him that he wanted the public to listen to the good, bad, frightening & amusing radio traffic; b) stated that obviously some talk groups would needed to be encrypted such as Narcotics, U.S. Marshall Strike Force, SWAT & c) walked me through the entire process of obtaining the fleet maps for the new P25 system in town. In other words, we have a sensible approach to said subject, not a heavy-handed blanket approach to pervasive encryption. Some officers in the community I have talked with have stated that pervasive encryption creates distrust between the community & law enforcement.

A more recent example of officers effectively controlling a situation where many people could have been harmed or killed happened here in Waco. I heard no encryption being used in this incident. In fact, I have most of the radio traffic recorded inside my Uniden 436HP. Guess what? No officers were killed. The element of surprise, which was not likely put over the air, was kept between the courageous officers attempting to corral a group of recalcitrant cowards on motorcycles. They need to go to prison.

n0xvz

Premium Subscriber
So...getting back on topic, I've found the database here to be very helpful. I find there to be enough to listen to for the reasons I listen. YMMV...

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Could Live Without It

So...getting back on topic, I've found the database here to be very helpful. I find there to be enough to listen to for the reasons I listen. YMMV...

Yes, you do have a valid point. It takes a lot of work to update the RR DB, particularly with a new radio system. I have a submitted information myself. In my opinion, San Angelo has always been rather docile in comparison to Waco or Houston where I used to live.

I thought San Angelo would be joining the Permian P25 system, but I guess I was wrong.

nd5y

Somebody in San Angelo needs to update the Goodfellow AFB trunked system.
They need to find the System ID, WACN, site number, and NAC so we know if it is part of one of the DoD nationwide systems. Also the primary and alternate control channels should be identified.

KG5HHS

Premium Subscriber
Somebody in San Angelo needs to update the Goodfellow AFB trunked system.
They need to find the System ID, WACN, site number, and NAC so we know if it is part of one of the DoD nationwide systems. Also the primary and alternate control channels should be identified.

I have a bcd396xt and monitor this system I show a CC on 138.0375 and a SID of 03D6h-0118.

nd5y

Last edited:

n0xvz

Premium Subscriber
That means it is really site 118 of this system: United States Air Force (BEE00-3D6) Trunking System, Various, Multi-State - Scanner Frequencies or probably RFSS 1 site 18. I don't think 396/996 scanners display the RFSS and Site numbers properly. Based on your info I submitted this to the database.

Looking at the rest of those talkgroups, it looks like the are part of an Air Education and Training Command system. I'd expect to see Lackland, Laughlin, and Sheppard AFBs as part of that system too given the pattern.

Last edited:

PJH

Premium Subscriber
USAF system is all fixed and general updates/links made.

GPS locations were also updated as needed

n0xvz

Premium Subscriber
Hmmm...I just noticed today that I'm not picking up SAPD any more. I can hear them via Broadcastify, but my scanner is silent. I wonder what I changed...or lost...

ETA: I wonder if this happened when I re-entered the sites as separate listings instead of one massive entry. Seems to only be PD as I can still get FD fine.

Last edited:

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
"E"

Hmmm...I just noticed today that I'm not picking up SAPD any more. I can hear them via Broadcastify, but my scanner is silent. I wonder what I changed...or lost...

ETA: I wonder if this happened when I re-entered the sites as separate listings instead of one massive entry. Seems to only be PD as I can still get FD fine.

On GRE/Whistlter branded scanners, you can hear when encryption is being used. I see that there is a mixed mode for SAPD. All of the other talk groups show "E" beside them. I doubt that they have already migrated to the new P25 system. I wonder what a 436/536HP unit with the ProVoice upgrade would here in that city. Yes, I believe someone needs to update the RR DB for that area.

Status
Not open for further replies.