Boy Scouts of America, CSR Radio Frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Drake1731

As a Staff Member at Clements Scout Ranch and a Communications Officer I'd like to release the radio frequencies just in case anyone would like to listen.

Camp Operations - 151.820 (Main Frequency)
Side Events - 151.880 (Used for events such as Climbing Tower, Brotherhood, etc.)
Emergency - 151.940 (Emergency Frequency just in case the other 2 repeaters go down)
Private Talk 1 - 154.570 (Used for private conversations)
Private Talk 2 - 154.600 (Used for private conversations)
Rangers - PRIVATE (Camp Rangers use this frequency to communicate between each other)

The CTCSS to listen as far as I've seen is 88.5 for all frequencies. The radios we use are Wouxun KG-819, KG-UVA1, and my personal one I carry around is the KG-UVD1P. I'm an authorized dealer of Wouxun so I got them for the District cheap.

Happy listening! :)

Aero125

Camp Operations - 151.820 (Main Frequency)
Side Events - 151.880 (Used for events such as Climbing Tower, Brotherhood, etc.)
Emergency - 151.940 (Emergency Frequency just in case the other 2 repeaters go down)
Private Talk 1 - 154.570 (Used for private conversations)
Private Talk 2 - 154.600 (Used for private conversations)
Rangers - PRIVATE (Camp Rangers use this frequency to communicate between each other)

Just curious what input frequency you use on your MURS repeaters. Are they located on top of the rope climbing tower?

D

Drake1731

Just curious what input frequency you use on your MURS repeaters. Are they located on top of the rope climbing tower?

I don't know to much about what a "input frequency" is but I did some research and I believe its - 00.600 . I have my personal radio here and I'm looking and it says 00.600 for all of our repeaters. They are located at the Rangers house. Which I think is a horrible idea considering its quite a ways from the camp, its in the camp its just that its still a good distance away from the end so we don't get good "reception" from there, I myself would prefer it be in the middle of the camp on the climbing tower, also that the radios were on are on 1 watt instead of 2 because they don't go to 2, its either 1 or 5, but their good for what they are. If I'm wrong on the input frequency please correct me or tell me how to find it. I'd be glad to.

Aero125

Using MURS frequencies for repeater operations is illegal for a few reasons. If you're using another frequency as an input chances are you're not licensed to transmits on it. MURS by definition is a low power simplex (no repeater) license free set of 5 radio frequencies as well. The .600 Khz offset you found relates to the 2M amateur radio band and is often set as a default offset on the radios you are using since they are mainly marketed towards ham radio operators. Technically the radios you have aren't even FCC approved for MURS, but its not enforced and A LOT of people use those frequencies freely everywhere.

D

Drake1731

Aero125, so why are the first 3 MURS narrow if they can't be used for repeaters? But thanks for letting me know, I caught the brotherhood staff talking on what I believed is a Amateur Ham Repeater. They decided channel 2 didn't work.. But it was dealt with.

nd5y, so I'm guessing you assume all people who are communications officers and radio dealers automatically know what a input frequency is? I don't need to know everything about radios to be a communications officer and dealer. It didn't say anything like "Must know everything about radios." So you can find that strange all you want.

Aero125

Look up MURS on wikipedia, it has basic accurate information and rules for the layman. Maybe ask the 'brotherhood' if they are hams to explain repeaters, offsets/inputs, etc.. All good info for the communications officer and radio dealer.

teufler

nARROW BAND WAS EXTABLISHED A FEW YEARS BACK. FCC was helping to reduce congestion, and the FCC was cooperating with Motorola and other manufactures is required users to get new radios. Planned Obsolescence I guess. If staff was using a ham repeater, and they are paid staff by the Boy Scouts or the Dallas Council, the activity is illegal by part 97 rules. 97.113 (2) &(3). Communications on behalf of an employer. Minor point but I had had to tell Rally Competitors who were being paid because of a sponser, to avoid ham activity.

ecps92

Generally on a Radio Message board, it is @$$-u-me'd that a Communications Officers is a Real Radio Person, however sometimes we forget that the title can also just mean the PIO (sometimes the PI@) Handling Publicity not real Communications:roll:

Aero125, so why are the first 3 MURS narrow if they can't be used for repeaters? But thanks for letting me know, I caught the brotherhood staff talking on what I believed is a Amateur Ham Repeater. They decided channel 2 didn't work.. But it was dealt with.

nd5y, so I'm guessing you assume all people who are communications officers and radio dealers automatically know what a input frequency is? I don't need to know everything about radios to be a communications officer and dealer. It didn't say anything like "Must know everything about radios." So you can find that strange all you want.

RichardKramer

Premium Subscriber
The only way a repeater could be legally used on the MURS freqs is the use of a simplex repeater. MFJ and Argent data systems have models available - there is a time frame you transmit and whether you're done or not the simplex repeater will re-transmit what you said. You, of course, need an extra radio connected to the repeater box to work the system. I have 2 old radio shack units for the amateur bands, but these were limited to 30 seconds of record time. I doubt they are using the MURS freqs in a repeater mode, probably just simplex. On their license, the 11 K2/K3 F3E is for narrowband modulation; the 20K0F3E was for the wideband modulation which can no longer be used.

gesucks

You do realize that it is illegal for you, the BSA and Clements Scout Ranch to use all 3 of those radios on those channels you have listed?

Those are MURS channels requiring a radio that is Part 95 type accepted for MURS.

The fact that you are a radio dealer and BSA Ranch Staff and sold them to them, makes this even worse. I would refund the money back to the ranch, take back the radios and sell them a Type 95 accepted MURS radio. You are lucky some one does not call the Ranch/ Circle Ten Council, BSA Southern Region or the BSA HQ.

Not a very good way to set an example for the Boys. Step up, do the right thing

D

Drake1731

I appreciate your message.

You do realize that it is illegal for you, the BSA and Clements Scout Ranch to use all 3 of those radios on those channels you have listed?

Those are MURS channels requiring a radio that is Part 95 type accepted for MURS.

The fact that you are a radio dealer and BSA Ranch Staff and sold them to them, makes this even worse. I would refund the money back to the ranch, take back the radios and sell them a Type 95 accepted MURS radio. You are lucky some one does not call the Ranch/ Circle Ten Council, BSA Southern Region or the BSA HQ.

Not a very good way to set an example for the Boys. Step up, do the right thing

I appreciate your message, I did talk to the Program Director who just happens to know about this subject. He has told me they have "special" permission for that use. Yes your probably thinking the same thing I am. Since when did the FCC give BSA permission to do this? That's a real good question, he said they license out the frequencies every so often and it cost a lot, but then I'm thinking I thought MURS frequencies were free use for everybody? Well then I was at Camp Alexander quite a while back talking to a Staff Member, they use the same thing, they only use 1 MURS frequency for repeater use. Now that I'm putting two and two together I see and realize this is a BIG issue. I have no idea how to take this problem up.

k1agh

Premium Subscriber
Special permission= they think they can because who they are. The FCC doesn't give special permission unless its documented.

gesucks

It does not matter if they have permission to use those channels. Even if they do, it is illegal to use the radio YOU sold them. Those radio can not be used on that channel by ANYONE.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
Anyone can be a baofeng/ woxun dealer. They buy them off amazon and resell them for 3 times the price.

D

Drake1731

Drake are you really 14 years old like your profile says??

Yes I am 14, and no I don't buy them off ebay/amazon and sell them for 3 times more, I contacted the Wouxun Company and simply asked to be a dealer and they sent me a form to fill out. So I did as told and returned it and got to be a dealer.

Status
Not open for further replies.