Sheppard AFB switched to new P25 system

Status
Not open for further replies.

caphab1

That's why my scanner is acting up. I've got a bunch of 4 character tg id's ive gathered I'll share when I get back in a couple hours.

I wonder who went enc..

I also heard the radio techs doing some testing on the old special event tg about the 29th.

nd5y

So far it looks just like the old system with user selectable encryption that can happen on any talkgroup. So far all the normal traffic has been in the clear. So far I have not seen any talkgroups that looked like they were strapped encrypted.

Yesterday there was a lot of short test transmissions and radio checks interspersed with short encrypted transmissions by the same radio IDs on the same talkgroups.

nd5y

I also heard the radio techs doing some testing on the old special event tg about the 29th.
There has been a lot of radio testing going on for months.
Also a lot of "Sheppard Radio Maintenance" doing radio checks on the fire dispatch talkgroup on the Wichita Falls system in the past couple of months.

caphab1

Interesting! Sounds like a great chance for some inter-operability with city and Military. And I think that's a great thing given some probably extensive response times from city to areas surrounding the installation.

Soo.. I take back what I said about the TG's I had. They Dont match the DB. Looks like its time to do some more listening,

nd5y

Sheppard FD and EMO has had VHF and 800 MHz radios for interop with Wichita Falls, Wichita County and the surrounding cities for years. That's nothing new unless they got new equipment. I think they have a mutual aid agreement with everybody because they routinely respond to working structure fires on the north side of WF and in Burkburnett.

There are several interop gateways around here that can patch different systems together. I know the city and county have them and I suspect Sheppard has their own too.

None of the talkgroups I have logged so far match existing ones at other bases in the db or TGIDs on the old system divided by 16. It looks like they have a block of new ones in the 32xx - 33xx range.

None of the user radio IDs are the same as the old system. A few months ago a few 4-digit dispatch console IDs appeared that are the same on the new system.

Last edited:

nd5y

So far Unitrunker has logged 66 talkgroups on the new system in the past 3 days.
There were at least 73 on the old system and probably more that I never found.

caphab1

Hmmm sounds like a really active system. Maybe they cut some back?

I was wondering, I am seeing more short Data tx's than I did on the old system.. im not too familiar with features of p25 systems. Is that something similar to dmr mapping capabilities or other info about connectivity etc?

nd5y

A majority of the talkgroups on the old system were rarely or never used. I'm sure this one will be the same way.

I don't know what all the the data iCalls are. I have seen that on other P25 systems. I think it's probably OTAR.

caphab1

List of unknowns

So Here is a compilation thus far of the unknowns from a few days of letting UT run

One that I can confirm is 3315- Radio Maint Heard a "Test 1, 2" a few times over the few days including today apr 7

caphab1

If you ran Unitrunker for more than a few days and only logged that many then you have something wrong.
So far I have counted 91 TGIDs including the 18 already in the database.

It runs during day time hours weekends, and night time during the week as I am unable to let it run during the day. Im only using the antennas which come with the dongles so im not expecting anything crazy, but they still provide full and clear signal reception
Wow thats a lot of groups!

So far no more encryption.

Thats a blessing!

nd5y

Today for the first time I have seen talkgoup IDs outside of the 3200-3399 range that appear to be from ID ranges used at other bases.
3572 Randolph?
3580 Randolph?
4855 Keesler
8405 Tyndall

Total now stands at 104 talkgroup IDs and 486 radio IDs.

jbsarandolphmonitor

Air band monitoring JBSA-Randolph
I have never seen the 3572 or 3580 tgs here at Randolph. I found the 3552 and 3567 tgs when they were setting up the system here. I have a lot of tgs to id from the other bases here in the San Antonio area. I will keep my eye out for the 35xx tgs you have found.

Don

jbsarandolphmonitor

Air band monitoring JBSA-Randolph
I added them to the wiki page under Randolph. The Randolph site is the only site I can hear from my location. I do try to id other bases tgs from my location.

Don

Status
Not open for further replies.