Need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

jef4643

Hello, I have a uniden bear cat digital handheld scanner, model number bcd325p2. I'm not very good at programming so I sent it out and had it programmed for pearland Pd. But I'm not getting any audio. I also have it programmed for brazoria county, and it works fine there. Can anyone help me or lead me in the right direction to get this problem solved. I would like to be able to hear the pearland pd. Tia

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Hello, I have a uniden bear cat digital handheld scanner, model number bcd325p2. I'm not very good at programming so I sent it out and had it programmed for pearland Pd. But I'm not getting any audio. I also have it programmed for brazoria county, and it works fine there. Can anyone help me or lead me in the right direction to get this problem solved. I would like to be able to hear the pearland pd. Tia
Hi jef
Welcome to RadioReference

Who programmed it for you, one of the dealers? Do you have any software loaded for the scanner, so that someone can create a startup file? You can download and install FreeSCAN on your PC for starters, then use it to "read" what is in the scanner to see if someone can spot what might be missing. They may have the wrong site set up, or you may be impacted by simulcast distortion.

For more on FreeSCAN see:
FreeScan User Guide - The RadioReference Wiki

FreeSCAN - Sixspot Software

Downloads - Sixspot Software

Hopefully, one of the Houston metro area members will chime in. You can also take a look at the HoustonScan Yahoo group.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=38

shows deprecated for pearland. nice way of saying not in use.
That's the old system.

Everything in the Houston metro area that originally was on the old system, is now migrated to the replacement:
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=4563

Pearland is using P25 Phase II talkgroups, which the OP's 325P2 can handle.

See https://forums.radioreference.com/t...orum/337361-monitoring-pearland-houston.html?

also https://forums.radioreference.com/t...orum/284318-pearland-txwarn-site-silent.html?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
they programmed in the old system?
That's possible, but no way to verify unless the OP can tell us who programmed it, and with what information.

If the OP can download & install FreeSCAN and "read" the scanner, then maybe he can post the file for a look.

motorola_otaku

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like you have the Pearland talkgroups assigned to the wrong sites. Pearland is on the "Houston system" which only operates on Layer 3 sites. The rest of Brazoria County, except for Manvel and Iowa Colony, is on TxWARN which operates on Later 1 and 2 sites.

You need to program Pearland and those other cities as a separate system with only site 03-003 (Southeast Simulcast) and the other Layer 3 Brazoria County sites.

jef4643

Yea I sent it out to hobby radio shop, out of state. I'm a beginner and really don't know a whole lot about scanners, but trying to learn. Is there anyone close to pearland or Houston that I can pay to have it done right? I'm not sure if they installed new software. TIA JEF

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Yea I sent it out to hobby radio shop, out of state. I'm a beginner and really don't know a whole lot about scanners, but trying to learn. Is there anyone close to pearland or Houston that I can pay to have it done right? I'm not sure if they installed new software. TIA JEF
You might find someone in your general area to program the scanner by asking over on the HoustonScan Yahoo group. Join that group & post your request.

If you download FreeSCAN (see my earlier post for links), or one of the two other software programs that support your scanner, ProScan or ARC-XT, any number of members, including myself, can create a file for you to try in your scanner. FreeSCAN is free to install and use. Both ProScan and ARC500 do have a thirty day free trial period, but after that, you would need to either purchase a license for the program, or cease using it. Note that asking for a starter file, then downloading it from the forums and getting it loaded in your scanner, requires a certain amount of familiarity with Windows file management. It's not that difficult as long as the directions are followed correctly.

jef4643

Ok I will try and reach out and also download. I was unaware that I need to hook it up to a computer, the scanner did not have anything in the box to connect to a computer

wtp

to hear something

it could be set up as a bare bones kind of thing.
put in the frequencies and just see the talkgroup numbers.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Ok I will try and reach out and also download. I was unaware that I need to hook it up to a computer, the scanner did not have anything in the box to connect to a computer
If your scanner was purchased new, there would have been a USB cable in the box. Uniden sometimes tucks them into a pocket made of the cardboard that secures the scanner in its box, making it possible to be overlooked.

If you did not buy it new, or if you can confirm that the cable was not in the box (or could have been accidentally discarded), you can purchase a cable at any number of places, including Amazon. The cable is USB-A (standard USB cable) to USB-mini. That cable is also what is used to power the scanner an ac or dc adapter, or your pc. While it's best to charge batteries externally in a good quality charger, you can, if needed or desired, use the cable to charge the batteries in the scanner. However, it will not charge the batteries at the same time as it is scanning. I charge batteries externally for my handheld scanners, but when at home, run them via an ac adapter.

Tim-in-TX

Premium Subscriber
I am in Pearland and use a BCD436HP and an HP2, and I can tell you that I get very little activity from PPD. Having been on a ride-alongin the past, I can tell you that the majority of their activity seems to be via computer aided dispatching. I rode for about four hours and I think the officer touched his mic only two or three times...but that was about 8 years ago, so it may be different now.

I commute an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening and may hear one...maybe two PPD calls. All I know is that I get only the rare air traffic. Of course it may just be a reflection of my programming abilities...or lack thereof....

jef4643

Hey Steve I'm working on downloading Freescan now. Is it a yearly charge. Just want to make sure I'm downloading the right thing. It keeps wanting me to do a driver update.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Hey Steve I'm working on downloading Freescan now. Is it a yearly charge. Just want to make sure I'm downloading the right thing. It keeps wanting me to do a driver update.
The driver update is for the scanner. Look at almost the bottom of the 325P2's Wiki page for a link to the drivers.

FreeSCAN is free, no payment required, although the auther does have a link if you want to make a small donation, but that is not required.

Note also that some anti-virus programs give a false malware alert on the FreeSCAN file. There is a thread in the software forum about that. It's safe; the alerts are a false alarm.

jef4643

Steve

Ok, so I do need to do the update for the driver? It's about $30 bucks for a year. It's things like my mouse on my desktop, speakers, and a couple other things. So if I update my driver then I should be able to download freescan correct? Just want to make sure before I do the driver update and pay the money.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Ok, so I do need to do the update for the driver? It's about $30 bucks for a year. It's things like my mouse on my desktop, speakers, and a couple other things. So if I update my driver then I should be able to download freescan correct? Just want to make sure before I do the driver update and pay the money.
Sounds like you are confusing a Premium Subscription for RadioReference, which is $30.00 a year. Your other options are $15.00 for six months, or $7.50 for 90 days. That is required if you want to download from the database here (on RadioReference here) directly into your software. That is the easiest method to program, but you can also enter the information manually through software for free (or use the EZ-Grab tool in FreeSCAN to cut and paste what you want). Besides FreeSCAN (totally free), the other software packages that support your scanner are ProScan and ARC-XT. The same subscription would give you import options on either of these. They both have a 30-day free trial, but after that period, you would have to either purchase a license for the software, or it will quit responding. Although there is no charge for downloading and installing FreeSCAN, it has not been updated in a while, and does not support DMR programming. ProScan and ARC-XT both support DMR.

If you decide to get a subscription for your initial programming, you can purchase the 6 month (technically, it's 180 days/$15) subscription or the 360 day option ($30) online, paying with PayPal or credit card. The 90 day option, $7.50, is only available by mailing in a check for that amount, and would take longer to process (for the check to get there, then clear your bank).

The driver link I provided allows your PC to connect to the scanner with the USB cable that was part of the original scanner package. Again, no subscription is needed for connecting the PC to the scanner; only if you wish to download from the database is any subscription needed.

intuity

That does not sound like the RadioReference subscription - particularly since you mentioned the other items... It sounds like you have run across one of those applications like DriverGuide or something like that that's wanting you to pay money for it, and not FreeScan. That won't help you, and probably will do more harm than good.

While I am up in Huntsville, I'd be happy to help with straightening it out. Contact me via message and we can get it up and running, somehow :)

Status
Not open for further replies.