Williamson Co police freqs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Does this forum have a better freq list for my area? (Leander, Williamson Co, Burnet Co)

This one is very thin. Williamson County Scanner Frequencies (TX)

I hear many more here Travis County Law Enforcement - Live Audio Feed Web Player which is listed as Travis Co but I hear Cedar Park PD in there too.
There's a much better breakdown of frequency & system usage on the RadioReference database page for Williamson County:
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=2768

The page you linked has outdated information, and does not mention the trunked systems in use at all.

RenoHuskerDu

Longtime VFD, rusty old scanner
Premium Subscriber
Yegads. A boatload of +850 freqs and scads of trunked talkgroups. With such an investment, I reckon Central TX will stay on this for years to come.

I fear that will require a new scanner. My old 2067 is not going to cut the mustard.
Would you recommend the Uniden BCD436HP ?

Thanks for that complete list.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Yegads. A boatload of +850 freqs and scads of trunked talkgroups. With such an investment, I reckon Central TX will stay on this for years to come.

I fear that will require a new scanner. My old 2067 is not going to cut the mustard.
Would you recommend the Uniden BCD436HP ?

Thanks for that complete list.
Yeah, the old 2067 is not going to handle the digital frequencies & systems in use now.

The 436HP would work, as would the base/mobile version 536HP, and is somewhat better at dealing with some issues than other models. However, there are a number of other models that would work. In no particular order, that would include the 325P2, 996P2, and HP-2 in the Uniden line. I have the 436HP, 536HP, 325P2, as well as the HP-2 (among others). For Whistler, the WS1080/1088, WS1095/1098, TRX-1 & TRX-2. Those are all P25 Phase II capable scanners. Your area currently is using P25 Phase I. However, in my area, DFW, there are a number of systems that either have made the upgrade to Phase II, are in the process of building a new Phase II system, or are planning one. At some point, especially if you do any kind of traveling and taking your scanner along, you're likely to encounter Phase II.

If you wanted to stay with a Phase I capable scanner, there are a number of other scanners, most discontinued, but still available on the market. If you are considering buying a good condition, previously owned, scanner, then be sure that it does work as promised, and comes with all required parts and accessories. Besides the classified ads here on RadioReference, as well as eBay, don't overlook other online sites, your local pawn or second hand shop, as well as yard and estate sales. See this thread.

RenoHuskerDu

Premium Subscriber
462.9750, Williamson Co EMS

I hear only robocalls and musical tones on this freq. The tones can go on for a full minute. Not much fun to monitor.

I'm guessing this is coded info to send predetermined call types to certain stations? I was a fireman in France and we were about to go to a similar setup when I left the force. Touted as unscannable by the vendor.

rbarker

Robert
Here are some items you may be able to monitor with a conventional scanner. You said you are hearing robocalls on 462.975? I'm confused about that. there are definite pages that go out on this frequency voice traffic with some paging tones:

155.61 Jollyville Fire tone out
155.6925 Georgetown Fire Tone Out (have to be close like near downtown)
462.975 EMS tone out (off and on)
856.2125 Round Rock Fire Tone outs
128.85 Dell Seton Helipad can hear helicopters talking
155.34 TX Med 1 Helicopters talk on here also to Dell Seton on 128.85 also 123.05
463.675 Air Evac used a lot in Williamson Co and other counties outside Austin
155.4675 DPS Base
154.6875 DPS Mobile good to monitor
451.400 Round Rock Outlets Mall
464.5750 Lakeline Mall - Security
461.9125 Hill Country Galleria - Mall Security
464.3750 Barton Creek Mall - Phone Patch
464.6750 Barton Creek Mall - Security
154.1750 Travis Co Fire tone out
154.2050 Travis Co Fire tone out
154.9650 Travis Co Fire tone out

Last edited:

RenoHuskerDu

Premium Subscriber
Here are some items you may be able to monitor with a conventional scanner. You said you are hearing robocalls on 462.975? I'm confused about that. there are definite pages that go out on this frequency voice traffic with some paging tones:
...freq list SNIPPED

Thank you for those freqs.

Yes, I heard female-synth-voice robocalls last night and one just now at 0751hrs. Nature of call and address.

Just also heard some Morse on 158.8950. Huh?
EDIT: But seeing that I got that freq from the discredited list at the top of this thread, why am I surprised?

Last edited:

RenoHuskerDu

Premium Subscriber
I'm going to assume that all these freqs are incorrect. Williamson County Scanner Frequencies (TX)

That site says it was voted tops...in 2009.
Only WilCo EMS 462.975 has intelligible traffic so far that I've heard.

In fact I think I'll reset my 2067 as it's programmed for 20yr-old trunking in Alameda County where I was SAR, then some random French fire freqs. Hasta la vista, Benoit...

Last edited:

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
All of the Williamson county sites are simulcast sites so you may have issues getting them to play nicely with some scanners. Some stuff is encrypted, some stuff isn't. For Williamson County (14) you should only need to put in 4 control channel frequencies for everything to work (which isn't accurately depicted in the RR database).

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I'm going to assume that all these freqs are incorrect. Williamson County Scanner Frequencies (TX)

That site says it was voted tops...in 2009.
Only WilCo EMS 462.975 has intelligible traffic so far that I've heard.
I wonder who voted for it. RadioReference has been around longer than just 2009 (I joined in 2005). The database is generated from member submissions, not just a download of FCC licenses.

462.975 is a common biomedical frequency, both now and back in 2009.[/QUOTE]

In fact I think I'll reset my 2067 as it's programmed for 20yr-old trunking in Alameda County where I was SAR, then some random French fire freqs. Hasta la vista, Benoit...
You could set up the 2067 for non-digital & non-trunked frequencies in your area. Fire departments often maintain a non-trunked frequency for tone-outs, especially for VFD's. Of course, there's always aircraft (if that interests you), ham radio repeaters, and of course the storm spotters on Skywarn frequencies. Texas weather can go downhill in a hurry with a line of storms. When it starts getting really rough, I turn on the Skywarn repeaters in counties where any line of storms will pass before getting to my location.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
I wonder who voted for it. RadioReference has been around longer than just 2009 (I joined in 2005). The database is generated from member submissions, not just a download of FCC licenses.

462.975 is a common biomedical frequency, both now and back in 2009.

You could set up the 2067 for non-digital & non-trunked frequencies in your area. Fire departments often maintain a non-trunked frequency for tone-outs, especially for VFD's. Of course, there's always aircraft (if that interests you), ham radio repeaters, and of course the storm spotters on Skywarn frequencies. Texas weather can go downhill in a hurry with a line of storms. When it starts getting really rough, I turn on the Skywarn repeaters in counties where any line of storms will pass before getting to my location.[/QUOTE]

Cedar park and Leander both have VHF tone out as a backup for their IP connected station alerting systems. VFDs in the area use P25 trunking though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RenoHuskerDu

Premium Subscriber
I wonder who voted for it. RadioReference has been around longer than just 2009 (I joined in 2005). SNIP

Great tips, thank you. I joined here in 2002 but was inactive for years whilst living in France. So now I show up as a rank newbie. lol.

Just noticed that the site now recommends scanners by area. https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?inputs=1&ctid=2549#cats
I remember 2002...this site has made astounding progress.

Reno K7CRL

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Great tips, thank you. I joined here in 2002 but was inactive for years whilst living in France. So now I show up as a rank newbie. lol.

Just noticed that the site now recommends scanners by area. https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?inputs=1&ctid=2549#cats
I remember 2002...this site has made astounding progress.

Reno K7CRL
I would use that "recommendation" as a starting point only. And I would also not recommend that you pay for having the scanner programmed. For the 436/536HP, or HP-2, the scanner will have the entire US Database on a micro-SD card. Using the software for these from Uniden (Sentinel, two versions, one for the x36HP, another for the HP-2 (or HP-1), you can quickly build a favorites list for scanning your area.

A more extensive listing of scanners is here.

RenoHuskerDu

Premium Subscriber
Following your advice on used scanners, I'm watching for used deals. A Uniden Bearcat BCD996T showed up on CraigsList for $150 but it's missing the manual and the programming cable.

It's only a Phase 1 scanner, and surely the programming cable would be useful, so I'll pass. But if any of you want it, it's in Craigslist Austin.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Following your advice on used scanners, I'm watching for used deals. A Uniden Bearcat BCD996T showed up on CraigsList for $150 but it's missing the manual and the programming cable.

It's only a Phase 1 scanner, and surely the programming cable would be useful, so I'll pass. But if any of you want it, it's in Craigslist Austin.
The programming cable is useful, and required for programming via software, firmware updates (if any), and also for using virtual control and logging. However, the OEM cable requires a serial port. If your pc does not have one (many newer ones, & most current laptops, do not), then the USB-1 cable would be a good choice, available from Uniden, ScannerMaster, Amazon, and other online sources.

While the 996T would work (as long as there's no upgrade to Phase II P25), I think you would find the next model series, 996XT (396XT for handheld) a better choice. The XT series scanners allow you to program a NAC code for digital conventional channels, such as used by TX DPS and a number of counties and cities that are not on a trunked system. Other P25 Phase I scanners that can also utilize the NAC include PSR-500/PSR-600, WS1040, WS1065.

RenoHuskerDu

Premium Subscriber
At the risk of overusing this thread....

EMS calls go out as priority 1-4. Anybody know how that maps to traditional urgency codes 1-3 that those of us former dispatchers know? I dispatched ambulances in the 70s.

Can anyone point me to a good article describing tone outs?

Re scanner choice, I'm going for the Uniden Home Patrol. I'm just waiting like a cheetah for the best price. Amazing power in its size, I plan to use it as a portable too. I won't sell my 2067, it's set on 462.9750 for WilCo EMS now.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Re scanner choice, I'm going for the Uniden Home Patrol. I'm just waiting like a cheetah for the best price. Amazing power in its size, I plan to use it as a portable too. I won't sell my 2067, it's set on 462.9750 for WilCo EMS now.
You'll like either Home patrol. I have both versions. When I spent a month in the hospital and rehab after surgery, I had my HP-1 with me, and could listen to about anything of interest in my metro area. Hands down, the HP-1 & -2 have the best displays of any available scanners.

rbarker

Robert
Just a reminder that most all of Williamson County in Encrypted. This means you cannot monitor them. This includes Williamson Co Sheriff, Constables, Round Rock PD, All Williamson County EMS, Cedar Park PD and Leander PD and fire. About the only talkgroups non-encrypted are the other Fire Depts, Fire ground channels and those listed as a "D" in radioreference, and non public safety like road crews, etc. The fire "common" channels are not encrypted and sometimes you may hear EMS on those but not always. Also I heard an occasional Cedar Park PD unit on a back channel but nothing tac and nothing dispatch.

RenoHuskerDu

Premium Subscriber
Just a reminder that most all of Williamson County in Encrypted. This means you cannot monitor them. This includes Williamson Co Sheriff, Constables, Round Rock PD, All Williamson County EMS, Cedar Park PD and Leander PD and fire. About the only talkgroups non-encrypted are the other Fire Depts, Fire ground channels and those listed as a "D" in radioreference, and non public safety like road crews, etc. The fire "common" channels are not encrypted and sometimes you may hear EMS on those but not always. Also I heard an occasional Cedar Park PD unit on a back channel but nothing tac and nothing dispatch.

That leaves AustinPD and State Troopers, audible on Travis County Law Enforcement - Live Audio Feed Web Player

Thanks for the tip. How long until 4chan decrypts their code? lol

Status
Not open for further replies.