Corpus Christi new 700 MHz P25 system

Status
Not open for further replies.

troymail

Silent Key
Interesting STA (temporary license) request that was just submitted yesterday.... says in support of operations as a result of Hurricane Harvey...

https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsEntry/...tachmentKey=20264912&attachmentInd=applAttach

Perhaps something to get what appears to be a stalled regional system moving again? Perhaps money suddenly appeared in order to build things out?

The system page on the RRDB has a paragraph about the system which includes this:

When finished in late 2014...
Target of opportunity?

Last edited:

gus426

Premium Subscriber
I'm here in Corpus Christi I'll be monitoring the system today. I've monitored it in the past and never heard anything.

nd5y

I know nothing about Corpus or their EDACS system but I suspect they probably got Daily-Wells to convert it to P25 as has been done in several other cities.

Start watching for talkgroups active on both systems at the same time with the last 3 or 4 digits of the decimal TGID being the same on both systems.

gus426

Premium Subscriber
Just curious -

(a) what radio are you using and

(b) are you seeing solid control channel processing from the system on that radio?

I'm using a BCD396Xt Uniden scanner and Yes I'm getting control channel also!

Attachments

• 20171207_133716.jpg
    20171207_133716.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 197

motorola_otaku

Premium Subscriber
I know nothing about Corpus or their EDACS system but I suspect they probably got Daily-Wells to convert it to P25 as has been done in several other cities.

Start watching for talkgroups active on both systems at the same time with the last 3 or 4 digits of the decimal TGID being the same on both systems.
I would suspect that the STA filing is correct and this is intended to be a recovery/interop system for post-Harvey operation. The Violet/Robstown site is on a FM station's tower, and the Sinton site is colo'd with the EDACS site (assuming the tower survived the storm.)

troymail

Silent Key
I'm using a BCD396Xt Uniden scanner and Yes I'm getting control channel also!

Ok -

Here's the reason I was wondering -

The note about the system that was originally posted with the system says it "...will fully support Phase II TDMA modulation in the future..." but it was submitted as a Phase 1 system more than 3 years ago. I'm wondering if it is still coming up as Phase 1 (I don't think your radio does Phase 2 so if it does happen to come up as Phase 2, you won't hear anything).

Also - I don't recall what the 396XT does with P25 encryption. On newer models, encryption is muted by the radio so you can't even tell if the system is active if the active talkgroups are encrypted.

I'm hoping (for you!) that the system is still fully Phase 1 and not using encryption.... but things to consider anyway.

If someone here knows about these details for the system and can advise, that would help.

gus426

Premium Subscriber
Ok -

Here's the reason I was wondering -

The note about the system that was originally posted with the system says it "...will fully support Phase II TDMA modulation in the future..." but it was submitted as a Phase 1 system more than 3 years ago. I'm wondering if it is still coming up as Phase 1 (I don't think your radio does Phase 2 so if it does happen to come up as Phase 2, you won't hear anything).

Also - I don't recall what the 396XT does with P25 encryption. On newer models, encryption is muted by the radio so you can't even tell if the system is active if the active talkgroups are encrypted.

I'm hoping (for you!) that the system is still fully Phase 1 and not using encryption.... but things to consider anyway.

If someone here knows about these details for the system and can advise, that would help.

I'm trying to get the system loaded into my BCD436HP also..There are no listed talk groups so the system isn't appearing in Sentinel I would have to add it manually in Sentinel. I was told by someone familiar with the system that there wouldn't be encryption on the non-tactical stuff...who knows. Thanks for your info though!

nd5y

If it's like the 396T scanning stops on phase 1 encrypted talkgroups and the audio is muted after a brief R2D2 burst. In scanning mode phase 2 is ignored totally but holding on the control channel will display all talkgroup activity even if they are encrypted or phase 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.