Texas DPS Big Spring to Lubbock area

Status
Not open for further replies.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
One of their conventional channels as you get closer to Lubbock. In big spring they’ll likely be on the Permian Basin system though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FireJustin

In Region 5 (Lubbock Region) most comms remain on their conventional radio system. Lubbock, specifically, operates on DPS A pair - 155.46 Base / 154.68 Mobile with a NAC of 114. The database has an entire regional breakdown, for Region 5 seems to be current and up-to-date.

TexScan780D

Premium Subscriber
One of their conventional channels as you get closer to Lubbock. In big spring they’ll likely be on the Permian Basin system though.

Have you heard the DPS on the PBRPC system? Because I have not.

Midland DPS dispatches to Big Spring repeater and the Gail repeater.

Project25_MASTR

Have you heard the DPS on the PBRPC system? Because I have not.

Midland DPS dispatches to Big Spring repeater and the Gail repeater.

They've got assigned talk groups on the system and it's programmed in all of their radios. Then again, they also have almost every other P25 trunking system in the state programmed into their radios except for a handful like Midland, Lubbock and Abilene.They also heavily use GATRRS so as PBRPC begins to merge, you'll definitely begin hearing more DPS traffic on that system.

TexScan780D

Premium Subscriber
They've got assigned talk groups on the system and it's programmed in all of their radios. Then again, they also have almost every other P25 trunking system in the state programmed into their radios except for a handful like Midland, Lubbock and Abilene.They also heavily use GATRRS so as PBRPC begins to merge, you'll definitely begin hearing more DPS traffic on that system.

I knew the PBRPC was moving GATRRS because of Odessa, any news when this will be completed? So far I have not heard DPS on the PBRPC, maybe I am not monitoring at the right time. Abilene, Lubbock, San Angelo, and Midland Phase II kind of knocks out Phase I agency’s and maybe interoperability.

Project25_MASTR

Over the next two years is my guess. The main hurdle is CoA is planning on upgrading to Astro 25 release 7.17 around April 2019. 7.17 will not support the Quantar…so all of those have to be replaced at all sites.

DPS radios are all phase 2 capable now. Abilene, Midland, Angelo and Lubbock are Harris systems that are extremely strict against allowing non-Harris subscribers.

rn1nduk1

Feed Provider
Premium Subscriber
You probably will not hear DPS on PBRICS They use an encryted talkgroup here. On the VHF side, they do have a talk group that, last I knew, was not encrypted. But for most part, they would use the Gail repeater in Big Spring. Someone may correct me if wrong.

707Lineman

Premium Subscriber
You probably will not hear DPS on PBRICS They use an encryted talkgroup here. On the VHF side, they do have a talk group that, last I knew, was not encrypted. But for most part, they would use the Gail repeater in Big Spring. Someone may correct me if wrong.

I do pick them up from the Gail Repeater. I live in Big Spring. Can't remember the freq at the moment, not at home near the scanner

TexScan780D

Premium Subscriber

Are you talking about the talkgroup 999 on the Odessa system?

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Big Spring

I do pick them up from the Gail Repeater. I live in Big Spring. Can't remember the freq at the moment, not at home near the scanner

When I visit my father, who lives in the Spring city, I usually hear DPS from the what has been called Big Spring Dispatch on 159.2175 with a NAC of 137. Typically, I load the statewide P25 plan without messing with various regions. I did not know they had a West Texas local channel though. I will be adding this one.

I might add that Big Spring offers very little in the way of scanning. When I visit, I cannot wait to return to Waco where the radios are always buzzing with activity.

707Lineman

Premium Subscriber
I agree 100%. Not much to scan here, I miss living in California where I actively monitored the CHP in the Bay Area. Always something to listen to over there

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Federal Prison Silent

I agree 100%. Not much to scan here, I miss living in California where I actively monitored the CHP in the Bay Area. Always something to listen to over there

I once attempted to decode the Federal Prison there, but I gave up when I bought my 436HP. Now, I don't hear them at all. I suppose they threw the encryption switch. I bet you were unaware that Tommy Chong did time there for his WMD response to the judge about his bong collection. He received 9 months because the judge did not possess a sense of humor.

When I visited last Christmas, I heard Big Spring State Hospital talking about an alternate channel. I am going to have to research this the next time because I suspect this one is security. BSSH has been designated as one of the few state hospitals that conducts competency hearings like Austin State Hospital.

Although you cannot beat a west Texas sky, I already did my time in west Texas, never to return. I was spawned in Lubbock, Texas of all places.

Here is a rule of thumb for those who live in the area. I might add, there are some mighty solid folks living out there. But, for the most part, the following is true: a) many are either addicted to heavy drugs or in-the-ditch drunks; b) they possess a serious mental illness, mostly Bipolar or Schizophrenic in nature; or c) they are religious nuts! Have you noticed the hair styles out there yet? The women learned a long time ago that hairspray resists west Texas winds. Hence, B-52 hairdos were the norm at one time.

Big Spring has some sorry cops! You can quote me on that one. If I was forced to live there, I would certainly purchase a very elaborate outside antenna with plenty of elevation. I would kill to live atop highland south at the end of Goliad street. Many antennas are located up there. I don't know how a directional antenna would work.

There is good news though. Many of the surrounding counties are going P25 conventional. Hence, you can pick them up now. On the weekend, for some reason, I am able to hear Odessa PD dispatch. However, last Christmas, I heard Midland PD on their new system using my rubber antenna.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.