Lone Star Law

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
I have enjoyed watching Lone Star Law here in Texas. It has helped shed some light on the behavior of the Texas Game Wardens, particularly their method of communication. They appear to be using cell phones instead of radios a great deal of the time. Now, I understand why I rarely hear them key up in central Texas.

I cannot wait until they come to the Waco area, provided they do so in the future.

For those who consume Colorado's finest, a visit to the state park might land them in jail. I did not know Game Wardens carried K9 as well.

OhSixTJ

The most powerful kind in Texas. They can seize almost anything you own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

bpckty1

One of, if not the most dangerous job in law enforcement. Most people know that a policeman assumes that a bad guy is armed. The game warden knows that they probably are, and most are (firearms/knives/axes, etc.). And, they often (may) approach the subject alone. What's not shown on the program, and appropriately so, are the tactics used before they approach the subjects.

What amazes me is that a release is usually/must be obtained by the citizens shown on the program, and they sign them, otherwise their faces are blurred, as in a recent show on Lake Travis.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Yes, it has changed the way I think of the role they perform. The jolly one gives me the creeps! These kind of Happy Jacks typically have two sides with one of them being very dark. I will surely alter my behavior at the camp location. I hate to fish, but love quail hunting. Guess what? I don't shoot my fellow hunters like our former Vice President, LOL.

I would imagine that the study of animal stealth tactics has further enhanced their ability to blend into their surroundings. I would also imagine they are on the front line of finding tweakers in the countryside. Almost every "field note" release will mention drugs being involved in hunting. Of course, the thought of tweakers shooting a long rifle gives me pause. In essence a hyper-vigilant tweaker might act like a startled animal. There is one main difference, the two-legged biped possesses a much lower IQ.

Last edited:

n5rv

Chemically inert
Premium Subscriber
I watched the first season of Lone Star Law, haven't watch any of the shows after because I decided TV was just too darn expensive to maintain when there were in my opinion only a few channels worth watching... Animal Planet was one I never got into, and only watched on occasion when there was nothing else to watch... But it's a good show, and they're some of the nicest folks you could ever meet working in the game warden service.

n5rv

Chemically inert
Premium Subscriber
I cannot wait until they come to the Waco area, provided they do so in the future.

Just thought I'd mention, I'm from Waco.... :)

Where they go to shoot episodes depends on who volunteers to be on the show.....

The K9 service is less than 5 years old......

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
Theres a reason the new game warden trucks (say, last 4 or 5 years) say "State Police" very prominently. First time i saw that, instead of the old green trucks, I was like WTF.

But between drugs, border crossers using state land, and a few other recent issues, game wardens are very much becoming the front line law enforcement agency across the state in rural areas.

They RARELY use their own frequencies. Yes, the show has them using cell phones frequently, but IRL, they're also likely to be on whatever county or area-wide PD/SO frequencies are used in their patrol areas, as im sure ^ can attest to.

Last truck i saw the inside of had 800 P25 APX mobile for the el paso p25 system, what looked like a harris P25 mobile, for what i assume was the state DPS system, and the officer carried a APX portable. He was talking on the el paso P25 system for the specific incident we were on.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
I loved the episode "Thousand Year Flood" because I used to live in Richmond/Rosenberg. I miss the area, not the traffic or humidity. They staged at the Ft. Bend County Fair ground off of highway 36.

I know that they have added, "State Police" to the back of their pickups.

I have an amusing story about such. I was leaving Big Spring, Texas on highway 87 toward the land of nothing, Lubbock, Texas, where I was spawned.

All of the sudden my Passport Max 2 started announcing the presence of KA band. I looked around and noticed a familiar pickup behind me. On occasion, when people are far too gregarious on the road, as in tailgating, I will purposefully frustrate them by driving in the hammer lane. When they are near the radar unit, I will move out of their way to watch them get popped. I don't have many of these under my belt, but when it happens, it makes me smile.

Not all are observant of their surroundings. This cretin stomped on the gas. Guess what happened? He was lit up like a Christmas tree.

"Don't Mess With Texans."

Last edited:

n5rv

Chemically inert
Premium Subscriber
I am in San Angelo and I never here them............

More often than not, they will use SO or DPS, if they use the radio at all. In San Angelo, they use TGSO. But like DPS, they have just about all LE channels available to them.

I'm in Christoval, south of San Angelo and rarely hear the TGC game wardens on the SO channel...have heard them once on their TPWD channel (F5).

In some counties they work like an extra deputy in the county. I hear the Schleicher County game warden on the Eldorado repeater all the time... or used to.... there seems to be a path change and I have a hard time picking up that repeater now...

We are switching over to APX radios slowly but surely....

Last edited:

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
Ensnared I also used to enjoy watching any snippet/clip/video/gif/smoke signal I could to find the TPWD GWs, so good on you for your persistence.

Back when I used to log religiously it was always a pleasure to hear the 5100s pop up on our local SO. 5100s were the unit numbers for the Region 5 District 1 GWs. They used to (and still might) have a real good system for their unit numbers- which told you their rank/seniority in the district and region (might still).

The best times to hear them locally were real late at night during "the season" (around here it was deer season mostly- but up in N. Texas it might be Sandhill Crane season or what have you, the busiest time). After use of the statewide repeaters fell precipitously they'd pop-up on the local SO channels at night to run DLs/LPs. I miss those days... the days when TABC, DPS, GWs or even the Union Pacific RR PD would hop on the local, conventional, analog frequencies.

NC5267

Premium Subscriber
At least in Bexar County I have heard them on BCSO dispatch channels a few times and even talking with SAPD on one of their open channels about hunters in a city park. So you never know where they will pop up nowadays. Same with Comal County, they show up a lot on the North channel covering Canyon Lake area. This is to say when they want to use a radio. You have to be pretty self reliant as a warden. Especially when there is usually one to two per county.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Regardless of whether I can hear them or not, I am quite impressed with this LE agency. When I am misbehaving, and I do this on occasion, I will run at right angles to their presence, provided that it is known. I would imagine they have great night vision available to them.

TDCJ should sell those stupid K9 units they raise because most of them are trained by offenders. In the event of a prison escape they should call the Game Wardens.

I remember an incident at the Darrington Prison Unit years ago. The Blood Hounds trained by TDCJ were clueless as to the location of the escapee. Nope, the junkyard Cocker Spaniel found & cornered that convict. I laughed so hard, right in the faces of the not-too-amused Wardens standing around. I was so cocky back them. At that time, I worked for UTMB-CMC, not TDCJ-ID.

SCPD

QRT
TDCJ should sell those stupid K9 units they raise because most of them are trained by offenders. In the event of a prison escape they should call the Game Wardens.

I live in TDCJ land (Cole unit, Moore unit and whatever is in Texarkana area. DPS 101 and its worthless flir will find people long before the dogs do. I laugh every time someone escapes the VA and they call the dogs but find the guy at the NA meeting.

bpckty1

Last night's episode concerned me when the rookie warden took on a bunch of 4-wheelers at night and his only backup was the TV crew. I know they instill confidence in the trainees at the academy, but acting alone (although we did not see any comms with dispatch before he got out of his truck giving his location and possibly requesting backup) is reckless. He finally got backup when one of the 4-wheeler's driver had an outstanding traffic warrant. As said on Hill Street Blues: "Be careful out there."

xxdanielt3

Premium Subscriber
The lack of using radios struck me odd as well as they are LEO but I'm sure a lot of it has to do with location. They use a lot of cellular on North Woods Law too however I see them use radios quite often, more then Lone Star Law.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

iamhere300

All of the sudden my Passport Max 2 started announcing the presence of KA band. I looked around and noticed a familiar pickup behind me. On occasion, when people are far too gregarious on the road, as in tailgating, I will purposefully frustrate them by driving in the hammer lane. When they are near the radar unit, I will move out of their way to watch them get popped. I don't have many of these under my belt, but when it happens, it makes me smile.

"Don't Mess With Texans."

Really? You take great delight in purposely making someone's day crap because you think you have the right to violate state law and stay out there in the "hammer lane"?

Just because you don't like them speeding (even though you do) you feel you can snap out a junior cop badge and slow them down?

SMDH.

Anyways, around the Houston area, the game wardens are often found on TXWARN

Reactions: RRR

SCPD

QRT
Between rangers and wardens it is definitely best of the best, toughest, well qualified lone law men most of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.