Dallas Visit

Status
Not open for further replies.

737mech

Premium Subscriber
Just getting ready for annual trip to Dallas, any major changes this year? Will my Psr-500 still manage most things in the Dallas Area? FD/PD/EMS?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Just getting ready for annual trip to Dallas, any major changes this year? Will my Psr-500 still manage most things in the Dallas Area? FD/PD/EMS?
For Dallas itself, as well as Dallas County, nothing has changed that the PSR-500 can't handle. Dallas and Dallas County are joining in building a new Phase II system, but that's a year or more away from being operational.

Since your last visit, several of the suburban cities have switched to P25 Phase II, which rules out the PSR. Depending on where you're staying this round, you might not be able to hear at least a couple of them anyway.

I believe Irving was already Phase II the last time you were in. Grand Prairie & Arlington (possibly out of range for you) are also Phase II now. All three are on FWRRS. PD for GP & Arlington are encrypted anyway.

Since last year, Garland & Mesquite moved from analog Moto Type II to a new Phase II system, GMRS. However, Garland went encrypted on their PD (fire still in the clear). Mesquite, as well as Rowlett went full encryption on both PD & FD.

Carrollton and three other northern suburbs also are Phase II, with all PD encrypted on the Metrocrest system. Denton County moved to a new P25 Phase II system, and Lewisville rolled their system into that as well.

737mech

Premium Subscriber
Dallas

Thanks for the info, more encryption yuck! Las Vegas metro pd just switched full encryption also.

737mech

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the info had fun three days scanning in Dallas. Mostly heard Dfd dispatch. I stayed 20th floor Sheraton downtown. Got my training done with work. Here’s a couple pics I took inside the new simulator building. I appreciate all the help when I visit! Thanks guys!

Attachments

• BBB27CD1-AC0C-4BCC-BD3A-970D17E53B83.jpg
    BBB27CD1-AC0C-4BCC-BD3A-970D17E53B83.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 169
  • 556CAF24-D42D-4B71-B8BB-2781ECEA2E43.jpg
    556CAF24-D42D-4B71-B8BB-2781ECEA2E43.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 171

dmills9498

Very Cool Pics. Does anyone know if there is a way to listen to these encrypted departments?

Uniden BCD436HP or SDR

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Very Cool Pics. Does anyone know if there is a way to listen to these encrypted departments?

Uniden BCD436HP or SDR
If you are referring to departments such as Garland PD, Mesquite PD/FD, Grand Prairie PD, & other similar cities/agencies, there is no way to decode listen to encrypted transmissions. On a scanner, if it does not simply skip the encrypted channel, you'd hear a muffled, jumbled,randon bits of sound, perhaps like R2D2 on steroids.

Listening to encrypted communications is prohibited by law (unless, of course, you are an authorized user), so no current scanner, nor any future one, will decode encryption. The SDR receivers and decoding software are also unable to decode encryption.

n5ims

Uniden BCD436HP or SDR

Simple, get arrested and you can listen in while they transport you in the back of their patrol car. Beyond that if the transmission is encrypted you can't listen.

Status
Not open for further replies.