Arlington FD Full Encryption

Status
Not open for further replies.

KI5IRE

Premium Subscriber
Edit: The title should read "Arlington FD Full Encryption?"

Apparently, it has been confirmed that Arlington FD is looking into fully encrypting the fire department talkgroups on the Fort Worth Regional Radio System. That has been confirmed by the Arlington Fire Department to Arlington Scanner, who is a pretty reputable source. There is no confirmed timeline yet.

A friend of mine also mentioned this week that Irving PD "will be going fully encrypted" as well "sometime soon". They have apparently been working on Law IO 10 while the radio shop works on loading all of the encryption keys into their radios...he said this may be happening sometime within the next few weeks or month or so. He said they are unsure about Irving FD still. I haven't heard anything official from the city of Irving yet.

Just thought I'd pass this info along to those of you in the DFW Metroplex.

Last edited:

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Does anybody know which type of encryption they use?
I know theres
ADP, AES, DES, DES-XL, DES-OFB, DVP-XL.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
I can't help but ask what difference does it make? You won't be listening to any comms when it is done.

Wow thanks for that utterly useless comment. Move along and let someone answer my question.

Has nothing to do with actually monitoring them and has to do with my natural curiosity of hardware and decisions them and other agencies are making. Im wanting to learn more about encryption, learn more about what agencies choose to use for it. And what protocols are popular for it. Since Motorola supports many forms im just wanting to know whos using what.

Last edited:

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
It likely would be either ADP or AES. ADP if they don’t want scanner heads listening, AES if they take voice security seriously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
That is just silly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Unfortunately, it isn't. The history of Texas public safety agencies doing things that are, if not flatly illegal, at the minimum unethical, then trying to hide those actions by refusing to comment, or ignoring or declining correctly filed freedom of information/open records requests is a lengthy one.

procopper7005

Premium Subscriber
Regarding the public records requests. I’ve requested audio recordings of various police and fire radio traffic from a few local cities without any problems until I ran into Addison. Their high end attorney claimed in writing to the attorney general that the law did not require them to release the audio simply because they did not possess the software to redact protected information. The AGs office called out on their bull**** lie and issued a letter ruling that states they had to give me the records I wanted.

If anyone wants a copy of the AGs ruling to use in future open records filings with other cities let me know.

Texas cities seem to spend a ton of money on high priced private attorneys fighting even simple open record requests. I found out Addison pay their law firm $405 an hour to handle all the open records requests!

SCPD

QRT
Regarding the public records requests. I’ve requested audio recordings of various police and fire radio traffic from a few local cities without any problems until I ran into Addison. Their high end attorney claimed in writing to the attorney general that the law did not require them to release the audio simply because they did not possess the software to redact protected information. The AGs office called out on their bull**** lie and issued a letter ruling that states they had to give me the records I wanted.

If anyone wants a copy of the AGs ruling to use in future open records filings with other cities let me know.

Texas cities seem to spend a ton of money on high priced private attorneys fighting even simple open record requests. I found out Addison pay their law firm $405 an hour to handle all the open records requests!

$405 per hour, that is all? A few New Mexico cities are close to 800 to grand per hour for their law firms which handle their desk work. Not bad for a hired public employee attorney who makes anywhere from 60 to 90 grand a year themself while handing off everyrhing to a law firm hired by a governing body. Such waste.

Apparently, it has been confirmed that Arlington FD is looking into fully encrypting the fire department talkgroups on the Fort Worth Regional Radio System. That has been confirmed by the Arlington Fire Department to Arlington Scanner, who is a pretty reputable source. There is no confirmed timeline yet.

A friend of mine also mentioned this week that Irving PD "will be going fully encrypted" as well "sometime soon". They have apparently been working on Law IO 10 while the radio shop works on loading all of the encryption keys into their radios...he said this may be happening sometime within the next few weeks or month or so. He said they are unsure about Irving FD still. I haven't heard anything official from the city of Irving yet.

I've looked everywhere online and can find anything confirming that Arlington is going to fully encrypt fire dept. With all the issues going on within the department I think the least of their worries should be to encrypt fire channels. Do you have a timeline or foresure conformation that they are going to encrypt fire for good?

I've looked everywhere online and can find anything confirming that Arlington is going to fully encrypt fire dept. With all the issues going on within the department I think the least of their worries should be to encrypt fire channels. Do you have a timeline or foresure conformation that they are going to encrypt fire for good?

z31jaime

I could never understand why a fire department would go encrypted.

they found a bunch of fires listening to scanners that tried to get away before the fd could get there.

on a serious note, I agree kind of pointless. A few here have gone encrypted also.

Status
Not open for further replies.