Galveston/Brazoria county

Status
Not open for further replies.

firemik1

Premium Subscriber
I was told the homepatrol 2 would work for the two above counties, but I do not pick anything up..anybody using this or another type of scanner

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I was told the homepatrol 2 would work for the two above counties, but I do not pick anything up..anybody using this or another type of scanner
The HP-2 will work. Since your's, apparently, isn't, it's possibly programmed wrong. Please answer the following, so that we can try to get you on track.

Did you recently receive the scanner?

Did you install Sentinel on your PC, update the database, and write the updated data to the scanner?

Start Sentinel on your PC. Look at the lower left corner of the program window. What date do you see?
On the scanner itself, press Menu
Next, press Advanced Menu
At the next screen, press 'down arrow' to get to the second page
Press Version Information
What date is showing for Database Version?

Are you using a Favorites list, or simply using location and the Main Database?
If using Location, with or without a Favorites List, have updated your location in Sentinel as well as the scanner itself?
If in doubt, be sure that the correct location (you can use Zip code) is entered in the scanner. There have been a few cases where, even though location was supposedly updated, it actually either had not been, or was processed incorrectly.

Once you respond to the above, we can work toward getting your scanner to receive the systems in the area.

firemik1

Premium Subscriber
I've had scanner over a year, tried all these things over 6 months ago and even sent it back to uniden and was told it should work, but no luck, I'm looking for anyone else using a hp2 and it works or what type they have and does it pick up all the rd and law enforcement in the county

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I've had scanner over a year, tried all these things over 6 months ago and even sent it back to uniden and was told it should work, but no luck, I'm looking for anyone else using a hp2 and it works or what type they have and does it pick up all the rd and law enforcement in the county
I'm not in your county; I'm in Dallas, but I have no trouble hearing my local systems with my HP-2. While there is not a large regional trunked system such as TXWARN P25 here in DFW, there are a large number of systems in various modes from analog to P25 Phase I and also P25 Phase II. I have most of the systems in range loaded, and the HP-2 handles them with no problem.

In order to try & get you onto the right track, we still need confirmation of what database version is on your scanner and in Sentinel. Various departments in your area have made changes over the past few months. Unless you have the latest database on the scanner, you won't have any of the changes.

Also, it is still important to know whether you are using a dedicated Favorites list with your systems of interest, or are you just using your location and the main database. If using location and the main database, then not only does the database on the scanner need to be current, but you also need to make sure that the location has been entered and saved correctly.

Service types enabled are also important. By default, when the scanner is shipped, only 'dispatch' types are enabled- Law Dispatch, Fire Dispatch, EMS Dispatch, and Multi-Dispatch. But many public safety agencies use channels or talkgroups tagged as 'Talk' or 'Tac', such as 'Law Talk', 'Fire Tac', Multi-Tac'.

If you would rather try to work this out with someone in your area, then I would suggest that you join the HoustonScan Yahoo group & ask for assistance there.

firemik1

Premium Subscriber
Did you recently receive the scanner? No, I have had it about 2 years

Did you install Sentinel on your PC, update the database, and write the updated data to the scanner? Yes, I also setup a favorite list with only Galveston County an Brazoria county under the TXWARN P25

Start Sentinel on your PC. Look at the lower left corner of the program window. What date do you see? 5/13/2018
On the scanner itself, press Menu
Next, press Advanced Menu
At the next screen, press 'down arrow' to get to the second page
Press Version Information
What date is showing for Database Version? 4/29/2018

Are you using a Favorites list, or simply using location and the Main Database?
If using Location, with or without a Favorites List, have updated your location in Sentinel as well as the scanner itself?
If in doubt, be sure that the correct location (you can use Zip code) is entered in the scanner. There have been a few cases where, even though location was supposedly updated, it actually either had not been, or was processed incorrectly.

Once you respond to the above, we can work toward getting your scanner to receive the systems in the area.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
it has never worked as for as TXwarn P25 Trunked only on old systemsVHF like the HP1
Are you using location control along with your Favorites list for Galveston & Brazoria counties? If the Favorites list, did you append it from the main database, or did you create it manually? Also, have you verified that your location is correct in the scanner? If in doubt, try resetting it as well s the range, and see if that makes any difference.

I would suggest appending your Favorites list to a post, so that someone can see if there are any other suggestions to be made, or if there is an error or omission in it. Attaching an *.hpe file to a post

If possible, use Sentinel to "read from scanner" if you have made changes on the scanner that were not also made in Sentinel. If you only made changes in Sentinel, not on the scanner itself (that would require having the Extreme Update, to edit or change directly on the scanner), skip to the next step.

Export the resulting Favorites list(s) into an *.hpe file. Then, attach that to a post and upload so that we can take a peek & see if anything is out of place. The Export is listed under the File drop-down menu.

Note: To upload an *.hpe file, to the Forums, you must change the file extension to one acceptable per forum requirements. To do that, note where your exported *.hpe file is saved on your PC.
Using Windows Explorer, find the file.
There are two ways to do this. You can either change the file extension itself, or compress the file using 7-Zip or other file utility. The *.zip file extension can be attached to a post and uploaded to the Forums.

Or, using Windows Explorer, rename your file one of these two ways:
For illustration, let's call your exported file 'MyFile.hpe' (without the quotes).
<Right><Click> on the file & choose Rename from the pop-up menu.
You can then rename your file to MyFile.txt, or MyFile.hpe.txt in order to attach it to a post. Whoever views the file will need to reset the file name back to MyFile.hpe, then it can be imported into Sentinel for viewing.

Michael-SATX

Try these steps below and report back your results ?

firemik1;2933358 My HP=2 has never worked trying to monitor the TXwarn P25 Trunked System but only for older VHF systems like the HP1[/QUOTE said:
Hello Firemik1, just as a very important test for everyone's diagnostic benefit please try the following steps:

1) Tap these steps: Menu / Manage Favorites List / Select Database to Monitor / Only Full Database.

2) Tap these steps: Menu / Set Your Location / Enter Zip Code / USA / 77422 / Accept (Brazoria Co Zip)

3) Tap "Range" / tap + to advance setting to say 10 or 15 miles just as a reception test for right now.

4) Tap these steps: Menu / Select Service Types / ( Enable the following types / Disable ALL other types):
Try only these for now: EMS Dispatch, Fire Dispatch, Fire-Tac, Interop, Law Dispatch, Law Tac, Law Talk
Tap Accept after you adjust your service types to see how this working database filter behaves for you ?

5) Tap Squelch setting and adjust your setting to only just 2 bars highlighted from the left (good for most)

6) Make sure at the top of your screen that "Atten" is not accidently enabled (Attenuation needs to be Off)!

Q: What is your HP-2's Firmware Version: 2.06 or higher ? (Menu/Advanced/tap down arrow/Version Info)

Q: Now tell us what and how your Uniden HP-2 receives after these diagnostic troubleshooting steps ?

Q: tell us if by chance if your HP-2 has the extra additional $50 Extreme Update Analyze Feature sets ?

Q: When you programed your custom favorites list did you enter either of these Simulcast sites below ?
Note: Simulcast Layer Sites carry all the traffic - other sites might only carry a fraction of the action !

note: Also try to tap and hold scanning on the "TxWarn P25 System" so we can focus only on this system.

Texas Wide Area Radio Network (TxWARN)
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=4563

Site # 054 (36) Galveston County Simulcast Galveston 769.44375 770.18125 770.78125 770.94375 771.89375 772.68125 773.18125 773.34375 773.94375c 774.28125 774.55625 774.80625a

Site # 058 (3A) Brazoria County Simulcast Brazoria 769.46875 769.93125 770.96875a 771.24375a 772.03125a 772.85625c 853.2875 853.550 853.9625

Tim-in-TX

Premium Subscriber
Just from my personal experience, I have not heard anything from Brazoria Co in months, and before that, activity was sporatic at best. I get very little from Pearland PD as well, and I live in the heart of Pearland. Houston PD isn't much better. This applies to both my BCD436 and HP2.

However, my Pro96, programmed for HGGSS (005) and with the Mutual Aid/GGSL Dispatch channels receives twice as much traffic from HPD as the other two.

wm8s

Premium Subscriber
I hear Brazoria County SO every day, I think on a couple of RFSS 1 sites. Pearland is on RFSS 3; pretty sure I hear them on 3-3 (SE) and/or 3-14 (Alvin). Keep in mind that most Pearland PD traffic is encrypted, so you're not gonna hear that.

firemik1

Premium Subscriber
Answers

[
I have answered the questions I know answers to..Not sure how to get firmware on scanner updated

QUOTE=Michael-SATX;2933491]Hello Firemik1, just as a very important test for everyone's diagnostic benefit please try the following steps:

1) Tap these steps: Menu / Manage Favorites List / Select Database to Monitor / Only Full Database. Done

2) Tap these steps: Menu / Set Your Location / Enter Zip Code / USA / 77422 / Accept (Brazoria Co Zip) Done , but set for my area 77510

3) Tap "Range" / tap + to advance setting to say 10 or 15 miles just as a reception test for right now. DONE

4) Tap these steps: Menu / Select Service Types / ( Enable the following types / Disable ALL other types):
Try only these for now: EMS Dispatch, Fire Dispatch, Fire-Tac, Interop, Law Dispatch, Law Tac, Law Talk
Tap Accept after you adjust your service types to see how this working database filter behaves for you ? DONE

5) Tap Squelch setting and adjust your setting to only just 2 bars highlighted from the left (good for most) DONE

6) Make sure at the top of your screen that "Atten" is not accidently enabled (Attenuation needs to be Off)! Already correct

Q: What is your HP-2's Firmware Version: 2.06 or higher ? (Menu/Advanced/tap down arrow/Version Info) I cannot download or change firmware on scanner itself, I did update the sentenal to 2.06

Q: Now tell us what and how your Uniden HP-2 receives after these diagnostic troubleshooting steps ? NO change

Q: tell us if by chance if your HP-2 has the extra additional $50 Extreme Update Analyze Feature sets ? NO

Q: When you programed your custom favorites list did you enter either of these Simulcast sites below ?
Note: Simulcast Layer Sites carry all the traffic - other sites might only carry a fraction of the action ! UNKNOWN, I created a favorite list of Galveston county agencies

note: Also try to tap and hold scanning on the "TxWarn P25 System" so we can focus only on this system. Did that..still not receiving any traffic

Site # 054 (36) Galveston County Simulcast Galveston 769.44375 770.18125 770.78125 770.94375 771.89375 772.68125 773.18125 773.34375 773.94375c 774.28125 774.55625 774.80625a

Site # 058 (3A) Brazoria County Simulcast Brazoria 769.46875 769.93125 770.96875a 771.24375a 772.03125a 772.85625c 853.2875 853.550 853.9625[/QUOTE]

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
[
I have answered the questions I know answers to..Not sure how to get firmware on scanner updated

QUOTE=Michael-SATX;2933491]Hello Firemik1, just as a very important test for everyone's diagnostic benefit please try the following steps:

1) Tap these steps: Menu / Manage Favorites List / Select Database to Monitor / Only Full Database. Done

2) Tap these steps: Menu / Set Your Location / Enter Zip Code / USA / 77422 / Accept (Brazoria Co Zip) Done , but set for my area 77510

3) Tap "Range" / tap + to advance setting to say 10 or 15 miles just as a reception test for right now. DONE

Tap Accept after you adjust your service types to see how this working database filter behaves for you ? DONE

5) Tap Squelch setting and adjust your setting to only just 2 bars highlighted from the left (good for most) DONE

6) Make sure at the top of your screen that "Atten" is not accidently enabled (Attenuation needs to be Off)! Already correct

Q: What is your HP-2's Firmware Version: 2.06 or higher ? (Menu/Advanced/tap down arrow/Version Info) I cannot download or change firmware on scanner itself, I did update the sentenal to 2.06

Note: Simulcast Layer Sites carry all the traffic - other sites might only carry a fraction of the action ! UNKNOWN, I created a favorite list of Galveston county agencies

note: Also try to tap and hold scanning on the "TxWarn P25 System" so we can focus only on this system. Did that..still not receiving any traffic

Site # 058 (3A) Brazoria County Simulcast Brazoria 769.46875 769.93125 770.96875a 771.24375a 772.03125a 772.85625c 853.2875 853.550 853.9625
[/QUOTE]
Without actually seeing your Favorites list, I can't tell, for sure, what the problem is. However, I suspect that while you have included your agencies of interest in Brazoria and Galveston counties, you may not have the sites included.

The HP-2 has not had any firmware updates since release, so that is not your issue.

Attached is a Favorites list file for you to try. The file is compressed, in a *.zip format, to comply with forum requirements. Save it to your pc, and note the location it goes to.
You'll need to decompress it (unzip) with a file utility like WinZip, or the free 7Zip. Once you do that, you'll see the actual file, firemik1.hpe

To use that, you need to import it into Sentinel.

Start Sentinel
Click on the File drop down menu
Select Import from hpe file

That will ask you what Favorites list to import it to. I would suggest making a new llist, so click on the button of the Favorites list window that pops up, selecting 'New Favorites List'.
Give your list a name and press ok.

That will give you a window to select the file to import. Find the file on your pc & select it, and press Open
That will import the list into Sentinel under the name you entered.

Open your Profile in Sentinel by either clicking on the Edit drop down menu, and selecting Edit Profile, or by clicking on the small icon that resembles a piece of paper with a pencil on it, under the V in the View drop down menu selection along the top line of the Sentinel screen.

Make sure your new Favorites list is set to download to the scanner, and to be monitored.

Connect the scanner to the PC, and choose Mass Storage Mode.
Write the new list, alsng with any update to the database, to the scanner.
Eject the scanner from the pc safely, so that you do not corrupt the card.

Once you unplug the scanner from the PC, it should boot up & try scanning the imported list. Besides the Brazoria & Galveston simulcast sites, I also included some of the other sites in your immediate area, just in case. I have entered both the TxWARN P25 departments for your two counties of interest, as well as their conventional frequencies, which may or may not be used as well, or perhaps are maintained simply as backups.

See if that helps & advise.

Attachments

• firemik1.zip
    10.1 KB · Views: 45

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
is it possible to send zip file by email kstellhorn@comcast.net every time I try creating a file it attempts to open in adobe
Sent via email, as both the *.zip file, as well as the *.hpe file, which can be imported directly into Sentinel.

Your pc is trying to open it in Adobe because either in your browser (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, whichever you use) or on your pc itself, the 'default' program is set to Adobe for that extension. You can bypass that, usually, by holding down the <Shift> key, and <right> clicking on the file, then selecting "Open With.. as the option instead of the default Open.

Status
Not open for further replies.