Fort Bend question

Status
Not open for further replies.

smcgilbery

Hey texas group, quick question. I have a Uniden 996P2 and am getting bad reception. The signal keeps going in and out, witch makes the audio go in and out. I had a older mag mount antenna on there that i just switched to a new antenna that says has 4 different antennas inside to pick up 28mhz to 1200. But still the signal is in and out.

What else could be the problem?

Is Ft Bend Encypted?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Hey texas group, quick question. I have a Uniden 996P2 and am getting bad reception. The signal keeps going in and out, witch makes the audio go in and out. I had a older mag mount antenna on there that i just switched to a new antenna that says has 4 different antennas inside to pick up 28mhz to 1200. But still the signal is in and out.

What else could be the problem?

Is Ft Bend Encypted?
I suspect that you may be suffering from Simulcast Distortion. Which site are you using? The Ft Bend Simulcast? Have you tried using the Clodine site instead? Read the linked Wiki page for more details. For simulcast, one of your best options is to use a directional antenna, such as a yagi. Then, aim it, not necessarily at the closest site, but the one that is the farthest away (in direction) than the others. You also can try using the telescoping antenna instead of connecting an external/rooftop one. Then, with the original antenna connected, try moving the scanner to different places in your house. Sometimes a foot or two one way or the other makes all the difference in the world. Also, are there any other transmit towers near you?

Are you using a Favorites list? Or are you using the main database & location? If using the main database & location, what range is set?

While simulcast may be the issue, also be sure that your service types are correct. The scanner ships with the Dispatch types enabled- Fire Dispatch, Police Dispatch, EMS Dispatch, and Multi-Dispatch. You should also enable the corresponding Tac & Talk types- Police Talk, Fire Tac, etc.

There are several members in your county. Hopefully, one of them can suggest other options.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
I suspect that you may be suffering from Simulcast Distortion. Which site are you using? The Ft Bend Simulcast? Have you tried using the Clodine site instead? Read the linked Wiki page for more details. For simulcast, one of your best options is to use a directional antenna, such as a yagi. Then, aim it, not necessarily at the closest site, but the one that is the farthest away (in direction) than the others. You also can try using the telescoping antenna instead of connecting an external/rooftop one. Then, with the original antenna connected, try moving the scanner to different places in your house. Sometimes a foot or two one way or the other makes all the difference in the world. Also, are there any other transmit towers near you?

Are you using a Favorites list? Or are you using the main database & location? If using the main database & location, what range is set?

While simulcast may be the issue, also be sure that your service types are correct. The scanner ships with the Dispatch types enabled- Fire Dispatch, Police Dispatch, EMS Dispatch, and Multi-Dispatch. You should also enable the corresponding Tac & Talk types- Police Talk, Fire Tac, etc.

There are several members in your county. Hopefully, one of them can suggest other options.

The Clodine site won't carry any SO or local municipality traffic. It is considered a "roamer" site and is intended for transient traffic.

I concur the issue is more than likely due to simulcast as this site is terrible for me as well on scanners (real radios and the Unications work fine).

smcgilbery

ft bend

Steve, i am using the Ft Bend Freqs (tower). i will have to try the antenna that came with it. If that dosnt work what is the next suggestion? maybe the yagi antenna?? what is a good resonable priced one

Thanks

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Steve, i am using the Ft Bend Freqs (tower). i will have to try the antenna that came with it. If that dosnt work what is the next suggestion? maybe the yagi antenna?? what is a good resonable priced one

Thanks
Something like this might work. There are a number of choices on eBay. Or on ScannerMaster, perhaps this version. Note that some of these antennas show to have N-type connectors, so you would need an adapter.

You might also look at this Wiki page. Don't forget to skim through the Antenna Forum here on RadioReference.

If you go to the TxWARN P25 page in the database, then click on the Fort Bend County Simulcast link, that takes you to a page that shows coverage for the site. On the page that comes up, look at the line, just below the location details, that says Site FCC Licenses. On the far right of that line, right before it ends in the map, there's a small icon that resembles a page with a turned down corner. Click on that. (If you hover your mouse over it, you'll see 'FCC Calligns Site Map'. (Here.)

That brings you to a page that shows the locations for Ft Bend Simulcast site. You may need to hold down on the map with a <left click> on your mouse, to grab it and let you push it a short way up and to the right, to center on your county rather than Houston.

If you were using a yagi (directional antenna), in the Stafford area, I would aim it to the site in the lower right of the county. Click on the marker on screen and it will list it as being in Missouri City. Besides that being closest to you, the other sites are in the opposite direction from that one, which is what you want. That site os roughly southeast from you; the others are west and northwest.

Good luck.

Last edited:

smcgilbery

Bought a yagi antenna will see how that works when it comes in. Thanks for all your help

Will the yagi antenna work in the attic?? or is it better to put outside? does it matter how far up it sits? i bought one with like 32 feet of coax.

Thanks again

Last edited:

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Bought a yagi antenna will see how that works when it comes in. Thanks for all your help

Will the yagi antenna work in the attic?? or is it better to put outside? does it matter how far up it sits? i bought one with like 32 feet of coax.

Thanks again
As long as your roof is not metal shingles, it will work fine. Just try aiming at the site I mentioned above, and see if that makes a difference.

smcgilbery

Ft bend

So I received the yagi antenna and have it directed towards the mocity tower and signal bars still going on and off. What could be my next step?

smcgilbery

Think i might have fixed the problem. Was pushing buttons on the scanner and found one for close call??? Pushed it and i guess turned it off now the signal bars are staying on...waiting for a dispatch to see if that fixes it.

TexScan780D

Premium Subscriber
Cinco Ranch

Is the Cinco Ranch 21002 FM 1093 a good site for TxWARN WQPS648 WQKN300 to receive Fort Bend?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Think i might have fixed the problem. Was pushing buttons on the scanner and found one for close call??? Pushed it and i guess turned it off now the signal bars are staying on...waiting for a dispatch to see if that fixes it.
Having Close Call, Priority, or Weather Priority engaged can cause drop-outs of a brief duration, confusing the issue.

If the Missouri City site does not work out, perhaps you are so close to it as well as using a directional antenna, with sonme gain, try using the attenuator on that site. In Sentinel, it's under the Options tab after you click on the site name. On the scanner itself, use the Main Menu and select Manage Favorites.
On the screen that comes after that, choose 'Review/Edit System.
Next, select "Edit Site".
Attenuator is on the menu that comes up next.

Advise whether it's working after you turned off Close Call, and or if not working, did the attenuator help at all.

bpckty1

That might be the Clodine roamer tower. Does it have only 3-5 frequencies for the site? If so, it is for "visitors". The simulcast tower has about 10-15 frequencies.

TexScan780D

Premium Subscriber
That site appears to be part of the Fort Bend Simulcast, so it might be a good option, depending on your location.

I do not live there, just visit. But the tower is close to where I visit. Maybe someone can provide more information about the tower.

TexScan780D

Premium Subscriber
That might be the Clodine roamer tower. Does it have only 3-5 frequencies for the site? If so, it is for "visitors". The simulcast tower has about 10-15 frequencies.

When I look further to the east I see the road name Alief Clodine Rd on Google Earth, so I would suspect the site is Clodine site. Which site would be good for the Cinco Ranch area?

Status
Not open for further replies.