DFW and modes used

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trucker700

Hi, I recently bought a used BCD536HP. It came with ProVoice already installed. I was wondering if it would be worthwhile adding DMR and NXDN upgrades to the radio.
I'm fairly new to using digital scanners and not exactly sure what I might be missing not having the other two upgrades.
Thanks,
Trucker

Trucker700

Thanks. I live in south Fort Worth. Even with the factory antenna it seems to pick up a lot of activity from several communities near us. But, I do hear the machine gun sounding audio on a few channels. I did a Google search for raw recordings of DMR and NXDN and they sound similar to what I was hearing.
Trucker

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Hi, I recently bought a used BCD536HP. It came with ProVoice already installed. I was wondering if it would be worthwhile adding DMR and NXDN upgrades to the radio.
I'm fairly new to using digital scanners and not exactly sure what I might be missing not having the other two upgrades.
Thanks,
Trucker
Depends on what you want to hear.

DFW Airport is transitioning to a new P25 Phase II system. However, some traffic is still being carried on their EDACS/ProVoice system. The EDACS system can be monitored if you have the ProVoice upgrade. Looking at the heavy traffic on some of the new P25 talkgroups, I think that one or more of them are PD, which cannot be monitored.

For the rest of the area, Dallas, city & county both, still use analog conventional frequencies for most communications. The larger suburbs are mostly on P25 trunked systems, some Phase I, others are Phase II. Most Tarrant County agencies are on FWRRS, which also carries Irving & Grand Prairie in Dallas County, plus agencies in Ellis and Johnson counties, south of Dallas & Fort Worth.

Four of the southern Dallas suburbs are on NXDN. Cedar Hill, Desoto, & Duncanville are NXDN on SWRCC. Lancaster has it's own NXDN system, but often interacts with Desoto, just to their west.

Highland Park is on DMR. CareFlite, one of the medical helicopter operations, is also on a DMR trunked system, Megahertz.

If there is another specific city or agency you want information on, provide the name.

Trucker700

Thanks! Plenty of info for me to get started with.
I do appreciate it.
Trucker

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Thanks! Plenty of info for me to get started with.
I do appreciate it.
Trucker
If you are in southern Fort Worth, you should be able to hear the two Tarrant County sites on FWRRS (layers 1 & 2), which cover Fort Worth, Tarrant County, and most of the smaller cities. You'd likely also be able to get the Mansfield and Johnson County, and possibly Arlington as well as the Ellis County (Midlothian) sites.

Trucker700

Yes, I've heard Mansfield, Burleson, Crowley and a few others. Also getting some DFW Airport traffic too.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Yes, I've heard Mansfield, Burleson, Crowley and a few others. Also getting some DFW Airport traffic too.
That's good. Plenty to listen to in the area.

If you're listening to DFW Airport, and also the air traffic control frequencies, take a look at FlightAware or Flightradar24.

Have you tried to also pick up the Parker County P25 system?

Trucker700

Parker County shows up. But, no traffic. I hear it on my 885 CB/Scanner in the 18 wheeler I drive. But, with indoor antenna I figure it's out of range at home.
What outdoor antenna do you recommend?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Parker County shows up. But, no traffic. I hear it on my 885 CB/Scanner in the 18 wheeler I drive. But, with indoor antenna I figure it's out of range at home.
What outdoor antenna do you recommend?
I can't hear Parker County from my home in Dallas, but I listen to it when I go out to Stephens County to a friend's place a couple of times a month. I can pick up Parker on a mag mount antenna on my SUV, starting usually around the time I cross I-35W when going west on I-20, and hear the system all the way out there, as well as once I arrive in the southeast portion of Stephens.

At home, I have an ST-2 (actually, two, one at the back of the house, feeding down to my home office, the other on the front, going to my bedroom), but those are discontinued. You might skim through the Antenna Forum to get some ideas. I have a directional antenna that I need to mount, to see if I can get Tarrant County and Denton County. Right now, their signals are too weak to be usable. While I do not own one, I've seen good comments on this unit. You might also look for comments on some of the antennas on this page.

Status
Not open for further replies.