“General” frequency to monitor when driving

Status
Not open for further replies.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
As I've mentioned a time or two previously, I monitor both 146.52 and 446 on a dedicated radio here in my shack.

Well yesterday morning this paid off in spades as I had a cool QSO with K0JLC Aeronautical Mobile on .52. Jason was flying his Piper Twin Cherokee at FL240 while traversing the Midwest from East to West. I picked him up from just east of Ft. Wayne, Indiana to about 50nm past Rockford, Illinois.

DwjAa.png

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
That almost re-defines line-of-sight for a ham.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
That almost re-defines line-of-sight for a ham.
Absolutely, it was purely LOS, given that he was on a 5 watt HT at the time! He had his pax writing down the log info so he can enter it in his computer log this evening. He was wanting to see how many people were monitoring .52 and would reply... (y)

prcguy

You can do much farther under the right conditions. I once did over 400mi with a 5w handheld in a vehicle with a 1/4 wave whip to an aircraft. I was about 1,000ft high on a hill and the aircraft was around 37,000ft.

As I've mentioned a time or two previously, I monitor both 146.52 and 446 on a dedicated radio here in my shack.

Well yesterday morning this paid off in spades as I had a cool QSO with K0JLC Aeronautical Mobile on .52. Jason was flying his Piper Twin Cherokee at FL240 while traversing the Midwest from East to West. I picked him up from just east of Ft. Wayne, Indiana to about 50nm past Rockford, Illinois.

DwjAa.png

That's Neat 4GIX , and fun, No ?....... :)

It shows that "52" is worth parking a radio on. Personally, its the only VHF frequency I listen to.

At home in my mountains we do SOTA- "Summits on the Air." The airline distances out to the eastern plains from atop a 13-14,000 foot peak with a "52" handheld can be over a 'hundred miles.... I have made "summit to summit' contacts to over twice that. :)

Lauri :sneaky:

Last edited by a moderator:

KE0GXN

DwjAa.png

Those are always cool. I got Jason in the log back in November of 2018 on .52 in the parking lot of daughter's school while I was waiting to pick her up. He was over Kansas somewhere at the time. They are rare to get for sure, so far I have 3 total, the two others were in the shack while scanning, I have .52 in my scan list, as well as .0 He had quite the pile-up that day from folks in MO. KS and OK!

bill4long

2 meters has occasional tropospheric openings where long distance communication is possible by people on the ground. Distance is usually 50 to 200 miles. My farthest tropospheric 2 meter DX was over 1000 miles from Ohio to Texas. Mode was FM running 100 watts on a Diamond vertical.

N4DJC

I usually run APRS and monitor 146.52. I had a QSO with a guy traveling to New Jersey some months back after seeing him pop up on APRS and saw he was monitoring a local wide area repeater...we talked for a half hour. Lots of fun.

Seems a few of us monitored 146.58 on the interstates years ago.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
My radios all have a button and / or function labeled "Scan". And when mobile, that's what I'm doing (of course with .52 and 446.000 in the list).

KE0GXN

On the road trips I have been on, for the most part, crickets is all I hear on .52. Your better off programming local repeaters into your radio prior to your trip utilizing RepeaterBook, etc...Other than being at the right place at the right time for a few air mobile contacts, can’t say I have heard much on .52.

Like @TheSpaceMann said, there is always something on CH 19....It just may not be as civil as .52..:D

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
On the road trips I have been on, for the most part, crickets is all I hear on .52. Your better off programming local repeaters into your radio prior to your trip utilizing RepeaterBook, etc...Other than being at the right place at the right time for a few air mobile contacts, can’t say I have heard much on .52.

Like @TheSpaceMann said, there is always something on CH 19....It just may not be as civil as .52..:D
I've been pre-programming for years. Some of my regular trips (GA to MI to see the grandkids, GA to Wichita, GA to Dallas, Okefenokee Swamp for camping, etc.) are stored in the hyper memory (I think that's what they call it) of my FT8900 for easy retrieval. One side of the radio is on .52 and the other is used for repeaters programmed in for the trip. I have one of those Cobra "everything in the mic" CB radios but I seldom use it. I'm certainly no prude but some of the things that go on even embarrass me. If I have to fall back to CB, it takes less than 5 minutes to dig it out and put it to work.

needairtime

In the boonies, seems all the 'chicken band' traffic is on 27.025 just because of those seat warmers.
I rarely hear anything on 27.185.

Pretty much I just keep local repeaters programmed/tuned, mainly because the radio I use in the car is a 10W commercial radio retuned to the 70cm amateur band. Also 446.000 is programmed, but due to difficulty in programming and lack of scan on this radio I don't bother, and resort to the Baofeng HT when I need on the go programmability.

Someday, I need to get a real mobile amateur radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.